Seattle looked like a different team.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
seattle's 1st string looked like s**t, im not worried about them

So did the 49ers on the kickoff return and on the first play of the game. Not to mention the defense let the Colts get to the three yard line before they could stop the Colts on their first series on the field. If you guys are going to be this critical of the Seahawks I hope that you are objective enough to have the same criticism of the 49ers. Their first team did not look any better.

QFT, unfortunately.

QFT? Not familiar with what that means.

Quoted for truth.

BTW how bad are the injuries to hill and tatupu? IIRC both those guys were banged up pretty bad last year.

Tatupu was a precautionary thing. He just has a sore hammy.

Hill sprained his knee earlier this week and is expected to be out for a couple weeks. I get the feeling that he won't be a Hawk very much longer though. Pete would not even let him in the training facility during OTAs.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

So did the 49ers on the kickoff return and on the first play of the game. Not to mention the defense let the Colts get to the three yard line before they could stop the Colts on their first series on the field. If you guys are going to be this critical of the Seahawks I hope that you are objective enough to have the same criticism of the 49ers. Their first team did not look any better.

You act like the Colts destroyed us for a long drive. They recoved a fumble in the Red Zone...Id say that was a W for our D against the Colts starters....thanks anyway for making it seem that our D is inept.

Not my intent at all. The offense did your defense no favors. Just pointing out what I saw. Read into it whatever you like.

No worries, welcome back!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Its good to be back and talking about actual football again!

well all i know is this, many teams will have no problems beating the hawks this yr and we should be 1 of those teams

How exactly would you know that? I don't even know that and I follow the team very closely. If anything I would that we would be harder to beat this year than last year. Last year we had many games where we were done by halftime. The team gave up on Mora and found themselves in large defeciets early in games. I don't see motivation or coaching being an issue this year. Which would make this years Hawks team more difficult to beat. At least thats what it looks like on paper.

true, but we shall see
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Hey Hawks, did you guys sit any guys on offense?

Off the top of my head Leon Washington is the only guy that I can think of.

QFT, unfortunately.

Quoted for truth.

BTW how bad are the injuries to hill and tatupu? IIRC both those guys were banged up pretty bad last year.

Hill sprained his knee earlier this week and is expected to be out for a couple weeks. I get the feeling that he won't be a Hawk very much longer though. Pete would not even let him in the training facility during OTAs.

Eh so I was halfway right though, or you were halfway right. IIRC Tatupu has been sort of fragile over the last few years so you might not be able to count on him 100%. But if Hill has a knee sprain and he's fallen out of favor with the coaching staff then you probably can't count him really. So with your LB corp it kind of might be that what you guys see right now is what you get.

QFT, unfortunately.

Quoted for truth.

Eh so I was halfway right though, or you were halfway right. IIRC Tatupu has been sort of fragile over the last few years so you might not be able to count on him 100%. But if Hill has a knee sprain and he's fallen out of favor with the coaching staff then you probably can't count him really. So with your LB corp it kind of might be that what you guys see right now is what you get.

Once Hill gets back to the field he is basically going to have to earn his roster spot back. Hawthorne was taking the first team reps all training camp. I am fairly certain that Hill will be the starter on the second game of the season though. I just don't know if he will be traded at the end of the season or not. His legal problems are an issue for Pete. Hill is already suspended for the first game.

[ Edited by Hawksfan81 on Aug 15, 2010 at 13:46:36 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

QFT, unfortunately.

Quoted for truth.

The line-backing corps have been hyped for a few years now. On paper it's the king s**t baddest unit in the league...in real life....it hasn't lived up to anything near what it is on paper for several years now. It doesn't look like it's going to change this year (so far), Curry still looks like a rook running around with his head cut off, Hill injured and in trouble, and Tatupu already nicked and banged up.
Just an observation, take it for it's worth folks.

[ Edited by Blitz on Aug 15, 2010 at 13:51:12 ]
Curry annoyed the hell out of me. He has to be smarter on the field.

Hill is not eligable to play until the second week of the season and his knee is projected to only keep him off the field for a couple of weeks.

Tatupu is not banged up. He had a sore hammy. Its just precautionary benching so Lofa doesn't turn a sore hamstring into a torn hamstring. He will be fine by the regular season.

Something to consider with these guys is how terrible the hawks d-line has been the last few years. Their lack of excution has caused the LBs to step up and be placed in situations that were not condusive to their health. This year our starting d-line will have a combined weight of over 1000lbs. That is a lot of beef for on o-line block. This year our LBs should have more freedom to run around and make plays. Instead of focusing on making up for the lack of ability or our D-line.

[ Edited by Hawksfan81 on Aug 15, 2010 at 13:58:09 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

Hill is not eligable to play until the second week of the season and his knee is projected to only keep him off the field for a couple of weeks.

Tatupu is not banged up. He had a sore hammy. Its just precautionary benching so Lofa doesn't turn a sore hamstring into a torn hamstring. He will be fine by the regular season.

Something to consider with these guys is how terrible the hawks d-line has been the last few years. Their lack of excution has cause to LBs to step up and be placed in situations that were not condusive to good their health. This year our starting d-line will have a combined weight of over 1000lbs. That is a lot of beef for on o-line block. This year our LBs should have more freedom to run around and make plays. Instead of focusing on making up for the lack of ability or our D-line.

Yeah, well, Hill being out to injury is nothing new. Tatupu being out to injury is nothing new either. You say they will be both be back and be fine and that may be true. However...if past is prologue (and it has been for a few years now with these guys) chances are that Hill and Tatupu are going to be repeat.

I understand about what you are saying about your d-line. However...the issue is going to be the pass rush. Watching Clemons last night, it looks like you may get some out of him...but...getting some pass rush out of him is not the question that needs to be answered. The question that needs to be answered is how well Clemons is going to hold up against the run? YOu guys don't have the personell to run a 34...you don't have the right mix of LB's for a 34 and you don't have the meat up front for a good 43 either. You are a 43 team missing the 4th down lineman. Caroll is trying to reconcile it by running a hybrid....standing an undersized 43 lineman up to rush the passer. He is trying to get a pass rush from somewhere because he can't get it fromm where it is supposed to come from in a 43, the 4 downlinemen.

This is what is going to happen, if it was me coaching and playing the Hawks....IMHO....teams are going to run right at Clemons. They are going to try and bull him and beat him up with the run. The chances are very good they will be successful. The chances are also high that he ends up injured because of it, but then again he may not. So, although you guys have 1000 LBS up front, if teams can run at Clemons succesfully, that 1000 lbs isn't going to keep your LB's free..it's very possible they will be spending a lot of time backing up Clemons and fighting through the pile surrounding him while that 1000 pounds you are talking about is tied up trying to hold a point of attack.
Originally posted by Blitz:

Something to consider with these guys is how terrible the hawks d-line has been the last few years. Their lack of excution has cause to LBs to step up and be placed in situations that were not condusive to good their health. This year our starting d-line will have a combined weight of over 1000lbs. That is a lot of beef for on o-line block. This year our LBs should have more freedom to run around and make plays. Instead of focusing on making up for the lack of ability or our D-line.

Yeah, well, Hill being out to injury is nothing new. Tatupu being out to injury is nothing new either. You say they will be both be back and be fine and that may be true. However...if past is prologue (and it has been for a few years now with these guys) chances are that Hill and Tatupu are going to be repeat.

I understand about what you are saying about your d-line. However...the issue is going to be the pass rush. Watching Clemons last night, it looks like you may get some out of him...but...getting some pass rush out of him is not the question that needs to be answered. The question that needs to be answered is how well Clemons is going to hold up against the run? YOu guys don't have the personell to run a 34...you don't have the right mix of LB's for a 34 and you don't have the meat up front for a good 43 either. You are a 43 team missing the 4th down lineman. Caroll is trying to reconcile it by running a hybrid....standing an undersized 43 lineman up to rush the passer. He is trying to get a pass rush from somewhere because he can't get it fromm where it is supposed to come from in a 43, the 4 downlinemen.

This is what is going to happen, if it was me coaching and playing the Hawks....IMHO....teams are going to run right at Clemons. They are going to try and bull him and beat him up with the run. The chances are very good they will be successful. The chances are also high that he ends up injured because of it, but then again he may not. So, although you guys have 1000 LBS up front, if teams can run at Clemons succesfully, that 1000 lbs isn't going to keep your LB's free..it's very possible they will be spending a lot of time backing up Clemons and fighting through the pile surrounding him while that 1000 pounds you are talking about is tied up trying to hold a point of attack.

Clemmons is not the projected starter. Jackson it. They just did not play him last night.
Hawksfan81, What did you think of Charlie Whitehurst? I think he'll be the starter before mid-season.

Originally posted by PTulini:
Hawksfan81, What did you think of Charlie Whitehurst? I think he'll be the starter before mid-season.

I think he looked very comfortable in the offense. Sharp and accurate. However, he was playing against backups and a vanilla defense.

Matt has out performed him all training camp. IMO, the only thing that gets Charlie on the field is an injury to Matt. If the O-line gels and holds up the way its anticipated to do to, then Matt's health will be a lot easier to maintain.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Hey Hawks, did you guys sit any guys on offense?

Off the top of my head Leon Washington is the only guy that I can think of.

Awwwwwwww snap, i forgot Leon Washington was on the Hawks.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Blitz:

Clemmons is not the projected starter. Jackson it. They just did not play him last night.

Stand Jackson up, same thing holds true, and Jackson may even be worse. The point is you guys don't have the personnel to rush the passer from the Leo or Elephant whithout calling into question that linemans ability defend the run. Jackson may fare better thatn Clemons at defending the run from that spot, but he is probably going to be non-existent in the pass rush, which is the whole point Carrol is trying to achieve by standing up one of those 43 lineman. So the other option (short of one your LB's like Curry all of a sudden turning into a pass rush beast) is going to be to go back to the straight up 43...in which case, the question still remains where is the pass rush going to come from while at the same time being able to remain stout against the run?

Last year, teams ran it down Cole's throat. Hopefully, for you guys, Vickerson gives you an upgrade there. That will help agaisnt the run, but it's not going to do anything for the pass.

I watched Bryant last night at end...there does look to be hope there and there also doesn't. That's a weak spot too. He gets turned and sometimes he doesn't. Bryant and Cole are not starter's...that's why Gore run right down the middle on them last year, and we sucked at run blocking. There's just a lot of unanswered questions about that dline and, I remember hearing the same thing out of Seattle about adding beef to the dline last year...that is what Cole and Redding where supposed to do, and in hindsight it didn't do much. It's not the beef that matter's, it's gotta be the right kind of beef. Right now, in a perfect world with genies in bottles, a bet Caroll would s**t can every starter on that dline and move them to the depth chart except Mebane.

[ Edited by Blitz on Aug 15, 2010 at 14:49:40 ]
Their first string defense didnt look all that

they did look good against simms.

You have to take into account that Chris Johnson wasnt playing for the titans. No team could stop that last year, not even us.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I saw ex-bust Mike Williams catch a pass, he sure looked slow. My Seahawk fan friend said they looked terrible and he is in for a long year, I will trust his judgement.
Share 49ersWebzone