LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 226 users in the forums

Seattle looked like a different team.

Shop 49ers game tickets
They're definitely our competition in the west.
Mike Williams looks fast!!
Originally posted by maximill15:

THE mike williams? From USC??
If healthy Hassellback is easily the best qb in the division and that makes up for a lot of other problems.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
DETROIT 2008

Pre-Season = 4-0
points for - 80pts
points against - 32pts

The Lions had the best defense of the 2008 pre season... oh and the Patriots went 0-4 and gave up 89 pts

---------------------------------

Regular season = 0-16
points for - 268
points against - 517

The Lions gave up more points than other team in the NFL

---------------------------------

there is no possible way to predict Seattles upcoming season based on their pre-season performance. this is a stupid thread.... Based on their coaching/personnel I expect them to win about 6 games give or take 1.

ahhh yes..

The 2008' Lions shall live in infamy.

4-0 in preseason

0-16 regular season.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

kentwan balmer, championship!
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Curry annoyed the hell out of me. He has to be smarter on the field.

Hill is not eligable to play until the second week of the season and his knee is projected to only keep him off the field for a couple of weeks.

Tatupu is not banged up. He had a sore hammy. Its just precautionary benching so Lofa doesn't turn a sore hamstring into a torn hamstring. He will be fine by the regular season.

Something to consider with these guys is how terrible the hawks d-line has been the last few years. Their lack of excution has caused the LBs to step up and be placed in situations that were not condusive to their health. This year our starting d-line will have a combined weight of over 1000lbs. That is a lot of beef for on o-line block. This year our LBs should have more freedom to run around and make plays. Instead of focusing on making up for the lack of ability or our D-line.

Speaking of Curry, and knowing what you know now, who would you rather have? Curry or Crabtree? I live in downtown Seattle and some of my Seahawk buddies were really disappointed you guys passed on him.

I was happy with getting Curry but I thought his impact would be more immediate. Had we not selected him, I would have rather had Sanchez personally. QB is a more important position.

I am not ready to throw in the towel with Curry though. Ken Norton Jr. just needs to tighten the leash and teach Curry how to play a more disciplined game. If Curry does not show drastic improvement between now that the end of the 2011 season then I will consider him a bust. If I remember right it took Julian Peterson a few years before his talent really started to shine through for you guys.
Originally posted by Blitz:

Hill is not eligable to play until the second week of the season and his knee is projected to only keep him off the field for a couple of weeks.

Tatupu is not banged up. He had a sore hammy. Its just precautionary benching so Lofa doesn't turn a sore hamstring into a torn hamstring. He will be fine by the regular season.

Something to consider with these guys is how terrible the hawks d-line has been the last few years. Their lack of excution has cause to LBs to step up and be placed in situations that were not condusive to good their health. This year our starting d-line will have a combined weight of over 1000lbs. That is a lot of beef for on o-line block. This year our LBs should have more freedom to run around and make plays. Instead of focusing on making up for the lack of ability or our D-line.

Yeah, well, Hill being out to injury is nothing new. Tatupu being out to injury is nothing new either. You say they will be both be back and be fine and that may be true. However...if past is prologue (and it has been for a few years now with these guys) chances are that Hill and Tatupu are going to be repeat.

I understand about what you are saying about your d-line. However...the issue is going to be the pass rush. Watching Clemons last night, it looks like you may get some out of him...but...getting some pass rush out of him is not the question that needs to be answered. The question that needs to be answered is how well Clemons is going to hold up against the run? YOu guys don't have the personell to run a 34...you don't have the right mix of LB's for a 34 and you don't have the meat up front for a good 43 either. You are a 43 team missing the 4th down lineman. Caroll is trying to reconcile it by running a hybrid....standing an undersized 43 lineman up to rush the passer. He is trying to get a pass rush from somewhere because he can't get it fromm where it is supposed to come from in a 43, the 4 downlinemen.

This is what is going to happen, if it was me coaching and playing the Hawks....IMHO....teams are going to run right at Clemons. They are going to try and bull him and beat him up with the run. The chances are very good they will be successful. The chances are also high that he ends up injured because of it, but then again he may not. So, although you guys have 1000 LBS up front, if teams can run at Clemons succesfully, that 1000 lbs isn't going to keep your LB's free..it's very possible they will be spending a lot of time backing up Clemons and fighting through the pile surrounding him while that 1000 pounds you are talking about is tied up trying to hold a point of attack.

Mebane actually played at about twenty pounds lighter last year than he did this year. I honestly believe that our biggest problem last year was Jim Mora. The did not seem coached and he looked lost out there. I am glad he is gone and I sure that will go a long ways twords fixing our defensive problems. Be it the line or otherwise.

I find it interesting though that the day after we were discussing this that there was a trade between the teams for one of your lineman. The Hawks must not be too happy with a couple of those guys I am guessing.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Hawksfan81, What did you think of Charlie Whitehurst? I think he'll be the starter before mid-season.

I think he looked very comfortable in the offense. Sharp and accurate. However, he was playing against backups and a vanilla defense.

Matt has out performed him all training camp. IMO, the only thing that gets Charlie on the field is an injury to Matt. If the O-line gels and holds up the way its anticipated to do to, then Matt's health will be a lot easier to maintain.

An injury or bad play from Matt for three or four games will get Whitehurst on the field. Hasselbeck is done if you ask me and has been for a few years now... my money is on Whitehurst starting by the end of the season.

Only if there is an injury to Hass.

Something to consider with these guys is how terrible the hawks d-line has been the last few years. Their lack of excution has cause to LBs to step up and be placed in situations that were not condusive to good their health. This year our starting d-line will have a combined weight of over 1000lbs. That is a lot of beef for on o-line block. This year our LBs should have more freedom to run around and make plays. Instead of focusing on making up for the lack of ability or our D-line.

Yeah, well, Hill being out to injury is nothing new. Tatupu being out to injury is nothing new either. You say they will be both be back and be fine and that may be true. However...if past is prologue (and it has been for a few years now with these guys) chances are that Hill and Tatupu are going to be repeat.

I understand about what you are saying about your d-line. However...the issue is going to be the pass rush. Watching Clemons last night, it looks like you may get some out of him...but...getting some pass rush out of him is not the question that needs to be answered. The question that needs to be answered is how well Clemons is going to hold up against the run? YOu guys don't have the personell to run a 34...you don't have the right mix of LB's for a 34 and you don't have the meat up front for a good 43 either. You are a 43 team missing the 4th down lineman. Caroll is trying to reconcile it by running a hybrid....standing an undersized 43 lineman up to rush the passer. He is trying to get a pass rush from somewhere because he can't get it fromm where it is supposed to come from in a 43, the 4 downlinemen.

This is what is going to happen, if it was me coaching and playing the Hawks....IMHO....teams are going to run right at Clemons. They are going to try and bull him and beat him up with the run. The chances are very good they will be successful. The chances are also high that he ends up injured because of it, but then again he may not. So, although you guys have 1000 LBS up front, if teams can run at Clemons succesfully, that 1000 lbs isn't going to keep your LB's free..it's very possible they will be spending a lot of time backing up Clemons and fighting through the pile surrounding him while that 1000 pounds you are talking about is tied up trying to hold a point of attack.

Mebane actually played at about twenty pounds lighter last year than he did this year. I honestly believe that our biggest problem last year was Jim Mora. The did not seem coached and he looked lost out there. I am glad he is gone and I sure that will go a long ways twords fixing our defensive problems. Be it the line or otherwise.

I find it interesting though that the day after we were discussing this that there was a trade between the teams for one of your lineman. The Hawks must not be too happy with a couple of those guys I am guessing.

Hey hawksfan, not to sure if this has been asked already but how do feel about the hiring of Pete Carrol. Does it bother you at all that he was pretty unsuccessful in his previous stints in the NFL? Glad to hear your opinion.
Originally posted by Aacadena:

Hey hawksfan, not to sure if this has been asked already but how do feel about the hiring of Pete Carrol. Does it bother you at all that he was pretty unsuccessful in his previous stints in the NFL? Glad to hear your opinion.

Well, he has a winning record as a pro head coach with a couple of playoff appearances. Not to mention his time coaching witht the 49ers and Vikings. Its a popular misconception that he has a losing record. Its hard to not buy into the hype. I read his book and he outlined his philosopy, identity as a coach, and way of doing business. He didn't have all that figured out in his last stint in the NFL. Those were things that he felt he really had to sit down and figure out after his last NFL job. He pitched his new coaching system to USC and thats a big part of the reason he got that job. He has had nine years to perfect that system. He now knows who he is as a coach and leader and more importantly he understands how to get what he wants out of his players now. An advantage that he did not have previously in the NFL. So I am happy with the decision to dump Mora and bring in Carroll. Mora proved to be a terrible coach last year and hearing him throw players under the bus got old really fast.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

I was expecting HUGE things from this dude out of USC. Hope he doesn't do it with seattle.

Was that a slow motion replay? He's the slowest wideout I've ever seen.
Share 49ersWebzone