LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Got it. You're projecting their skill set not their career. You could have used any other pure pocket QB as a comp but you went straight to the top shelf using Brady. Why not Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers etc? To me, it's Brady's intangibles that make him who he is.

If there was a QB prospect that was deftly accurate, strictly played from the pocket, and had numerous instances where he brought his team back from a deficit late in the game to win, then we can say he's Brady-like.

Has Mac had any moments where he had to have a late game winning drive and made it happen? If not, then he's not Brady-like because that's what makes Brady who he is.

Hence that edit. I say "middle-class" Tom Brady because I think Mac could be a comeback kind of player, but he never really had a chance because he was pretty much always winning. I've mentioned Matt Ryan as another comparison as well, but that or Rivers wouldn't be the "best case" scenario to me. That would still fall a little below even just being like a "middle-class" version of Brady. I do think that's definitely in the possibility range though. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

I am not saying he will turn into any of those guys, I'm just attempting to lay out a dynamic range. I have stated in other places what my ultimate prediction for each is, if I had to guess.

I respect your analysis in general, but Tom Brady is a huge stretch for Mac Jones.

I can't say I watched Brady in college, and Mac's arm could improve, but Brady has a cannon compared to Mac. He's also nearly 3 inches taller and can stand in there, see all and make all of the throws.

You can say Mac is trying to be like Tom, but I don't think you can go so far as to claim that as his ceiling.

We may never see another Brady.
I feel comfortable with my pro comps for 3 out of the 4 available QBs for us. I believe these are sensible and realistic if guys hit their ceilings and end up in good situations. I still don't have a comp for Trey Lance. I see the Steve McNair and Colin Kaepernick stuff, but neither of those feels right to me.

Mac Jones: Kirk Cousins
Zach Wilson: Derek Carr
Justin Fields: Cam Newton
Trey Lance: TBD
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 8, 2021 at 4:56 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Damn, if those are the ceilings the 49ers shouldn't draft any of those guys, lol.
I f**king hate player comps. Dude wears the same number uses a clear visor has the UA half sleeves only thing he doesn't do is a superman touchdown celebration
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
I feel comfortable with my pro comps for 3 out of the 4 available QBs for us. I believe these are sensible and realistic if guys hit their ceilings and end up in good situations. I still don't have a comp for Trey Lance. I see the Steve McNair and Colin Kaepernick stuff, but neither of those feels right to me.

Donovan McNabb
Originally posted by Heroism:

I've seen Josh Allen throwed around as a comp for Lance.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Damn, if those are the ceilings the 49ers shouldn't draft any of those guys, lol.

I felt the same unless it was for Wilson.
  • thl408
Mac: Joe Brady
Wilson: Aaron Mahomes
Fields: Russell Newton
Lance: DeShaun Kaepernick
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kyle shanahan: I want a ZB OL based on movement/speed

Kyle shanahan: yeah let's give up 3 1sts for a fat cupcake QB that can't move or make plays off script with a noodle arm and stick him behind our ZB OL they doesn't prioritize pass-pro.

OH and let's complain about our QB not staying healthy too.

You pretty much nailed all of his major blind spots in one post. Throw in overdrafting for poor players and you're complete.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Kyle shanahan: yeah let's give up 3 1sts for a fat cupcake QB that can't move or make plays off script with a noodle arm and stick him behind our ZB OL they doesn't prioritize pass-pro.

You pretty much nailed all of his major blind spots in one post. Throw in overdrafting for poor players and you're complete.

Sucks because he's a great play caller a stud HC.

He needs someone to say hey don't be such a dip s**t...

it's funny I read up on the story on taking John Beck at 10 thing back when he was with the Texans.

turns out it was Smith asking him which QB he would take in that draft and he said Beck, no necessary at 10.

"it wasn't even close," Shanahan said back in April. "He has everything you look for in a quarterback. No. 1 you have to love the game, you have to have the mindset. What I'm looking for is a guy first to work and last to leave. You've got to be able to run this offense at a very high level. He can do things with his legs that a lot of quarterbacks can't do."

Beck does coach Fields so that's like my last hope lol

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Sucks because he's a great play caller a stud HC.

He needs someone to say hey don't be such a dip s**t...

it's funny I read up on the story on taking John Beck at 10 thing back when he was with the Texans.

turns out it was Smith asking him which QB he would take in that draft and he said Beck, no necessary at 10.

"it wasn't even close," Shanahan said back in April. "He has everything you look for in a quarterback. No. 1 you have to love the game, you have to have the mindset. What I'm looking for is a guy first to work and last to leave. You've got to be able to run this offense at a very high level. He can do things with his legs that a lot of quarterbacks can't do."

Beck does coach Fields so that's like my last hope lol

To be fair and fwiw, it was Kyle's first year as a position coach. He had one year as a GA and 2 years as a QC coach under his belt. That was 15 years ago and I am sure he has learned a lot since then.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Got it. You're projecting their skill set not their career. You could have used any other pure pocket QB as a comp but you went straight to the top shelf using Brady. Why not Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers etc? To me, it's Brady's intangibles that make him who he is.

If there was a QB prospect that was deftly accurate, strictly played from the pocket, and had numerous instances where he brought his team back from a deficit late in the game to win, then we can say he's Brady-like.

Has Mac had any moments where he had to have a late game winning drive and made it happen? If not, then he's not Brady-like because that's what makes Brady who he is.

Hence that edit. I say "middle-class" Tom Brady because I think Mac could be a comeback kind of player, but he never really had a chance because he was pretty much always winning. I've mentioned Matt Ryan as another comparison as well, but that or Rivers wouldn't be the "best case" scenario to me. That would still fall a little below even just being like a "middle-class" version of Brady. I do think that's definitely in the possibility range though. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

I am not saying he will turn into any of those guys, I'm just attempting to lay out a dynamic range. I have stated in other places what my ultimate prediction for each is, if I had to guess.

I respect your analysis in general, but Tom Brady is a huge stretch for Mac Jones.

I can't say I watched Brady in college, and Mac's arm could improve, but Brady has a cannon compared to Mac. He's also nearly 3 inches taller and can stand in there, see all and make all of the throws.

You can say Mac is trying to be like Tom, but I don't think you can go so far as to claim that as his ceiling.

Exactly, that's what middle-class Brady means -- he'll try his best to be Tom but he'll never be that, but he could be a very very good pro that plays a similar style to Brady without ever having the same level of success. I hope that clarifies a bit.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Watched a lot of Brady in college, was a big Michigan fan growing up as their games were always on TV and Tim Biakabutuka played football near where I grew up.

Tom is not fit for comparison. There are tangible reasons he was a late round pick but something in him was mentally different, his sheer will to win is just greater than everyone else's and when combined with possibly the greatest QB mind ever, it's been close to unstoppable. Tom's senior year at Michigan you could tell he had something special in terms of being clutch, to be fair. Multiple come from behind victories, the QB controversy with Henson playing the 2nd Q of every game...but still managed to really lead that team. He threw a decent deep ball, good feel for pressure, accurate ball and a leader. However, that scouting report probably applies to several QBs every year, Brady has become a lazy comparison because he had a great mind but average physical tools and we have a few of those types of kids every year.

Everyone's looking at Brady with the advantage of hindsight. You don't scout Tom Brady and project that, he just happens. Perfect storm of the right team, situation, mentality, etc. Put on his college tape today and you think maybe 3rd rounder like Joe was. Those two guys are exceptions to the rule, something in them was wired differently.

When you get physical tools to match that manic desire to win you end up with an MJ (and even when he was at Carolina nobody thought he'd end up the GOAT).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:

When you get physical tools to match that manic desire to win you end up with an MJ (and even when he was at Carolina nobody thought he'd end up the GOAT).

Jordan was of the best college players ever.

This isn't about race. If it were any other coach, Mac Jones wouldn't be in the conversation. Kyle has a favorite profile.
Share 49ersWebzone