There are 171 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

Since we had a receivers class thread last year, I figured since all eyeballs on QBs at this time, we may as well get one of these going. We can rank our picks for QB as things move along. It's still early in the evaluation process for me... but... this is how I rank my QB picks right now.

1. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson - Consensus best all-around, well-rounded prospect.

2. Zach Wilson, BYU - Checks all the boxes for me. Kind of agree with Steve Young, may actually be the best in this class.

3. Mac Jones, Alabama - One of the best I've seen at throwing under pressure and navigating the pocket. Beautiful deep ball.

4. Justin Fields, Ohio State - Checks some boxes, but I'm a bit concerned with his pocket presence and handling of pressure.

5. Kyle Trask, Florida - There's a lot to like, but needs some work. Throws high quite a bit. His front leg is a problem on throws.

6. Trey Lance, NDSU - Again, some good traits, but very raw and needs time. Seems like a two-year project. High risk/reward. I think Shanahan will like a lot about him (pro style scheme, PA from under center, etc.) and obviously great mobility, but he seems far from a plug-n-play guy.
Desmond Ridder Cincinnati is playing his way into the conversation. Has good size and is multi dimensional. Accuracy on deep balls is improving?
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Nov 19, 2020 at 8:24 AM ]
  1. Trevor Lawrence: #1 and will stay in that spot unless he chooses to stay at Clemson.
  2. Zach Wilson: Has shown the good traits of Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel, and with a good head on his shoulder.
  3. Justin Fields: Good size. Good arm. He's pulling in all the stats and showing his arm/accuracy, but I feel had he stayed at Georgia, he'd be a much better pro prospect right away.
  4. Mac Jones: I've been on the bandwagon since the bowl game vs Michigan, and what he's shown (just like Wilson and Trask) is that he is continuing to get better after each game. Sure, he's got a lot of good talent around him, but the offensive line isn't as good as last year, and he's working with younger receivers (minus Devonte Smith). He reads the field well, handles pressure well, and shows toughness.
  5. Trey Lance: Raw but I see Andrew Luck potential. Strong and tough. Good arm and came from a good offensive system in NDSU. Will need time to develop, but I think he's a great fit in Shanahan's system.
  6. Kyle Trask: Definitely rooting for this kid. The story is cool about him not starting up until last year when Franks went down, and he hasn't turned back since. He's a big dude at 6'5'', 240 lbs. His arm and feet need time to develop. Sometimes, you see the ball float too much. However, like Jones, he seems to progress more and more after each game. His accuracy seems to get a touch better and he's hitting those back shoulder fades and hitting his receivers in stride on the verticals.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
A couple of Day 3 QB's I like:

Sam Ehlinger - Texas 6'3" 220

Tanner Morgan - Minnesota 6'2" 205
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Desmond Ridder Cincinnati is playing his way into the conversation. Has good size and is multi dimensional. Accuracy on deep balls is improving?

Really like watching this kid play & improving this year
Who has the quickest release and gets the ball out fast of the 6 you listed?
Kyle Trask, Florida - There's a lot to like, but needs some work. Throws high quite a bit. His front leg is a problem on throws.

And because of that he sets his receivers up to get wrecked at times. Its an issue that can be fixed but definitely something to consider.
QB Watch Live

All Saturday games

1. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson - ABC 9am PST.
2. Zach Wilson, BYU - ESPN3 12noon PST
3. Mac Jones, Alabama - SEC ESPN Network 1pm PST
4. Justin Fields, Ohio State - Fox 9am PST
5. Kyle Trask, Florida - ESPN 9am PST
6. Trey Lance, NDSU - N/A
Originally posted by miked1978:
Who has the quickest release and gets the ball out fast of the 6 you listed?

Zach Wilson.
Tier 1
Trevor Lawrence
Justin Fields

Tier 2
Lance
Wilson

Tier 3
Jones
Trask

Malik Willis might be a riser...
[tweet https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-quarterback-situations-ahead-of-cfb-week-12]
When I think of OSU QB I just remember Haskins and Cardale Jones. Usually productive and flasy in college who become absolute busts in the NFL Having a hard time trusting Fields, but I'm guessing he is going to the Giants
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
When I think of OSU QB I just remember Haskins and Cardale Jones. Usually productive and flasy in college who become absolute busts in the NFL Having a hard time trusting Fields, but I'm guessing he is going to the Giants
thats my fear also..
Watch out for Joe Fabitz. He plays at Northeast Southwest Georgia State. A real sleeper.
Share 49ersWebzone