There are 152 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Here's my thoughts on what I'd expect the best and worst case scenarios for the 3 most likely targets for us:

MAC JONES
Best case: Tom Brady
Worst case: A Better version of Nick Mullens (bigger, better arm, and less turnovers)

TREY LANCE
Best case: Steve McNair - probably will take a ton of punishment like Steve, but could be a big-time playmaker.
Worst case: Marcus Mariota

JUSTIN FIELDS
Best case: Daunte Culpepper (pre-injury)
Worst case: Daunte Culpepper (post-injury)

Dude you can't say best case Mac Jones is the GOAT lol

Daunte Culpepper...what? no dude
Originally posted by NCommand:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/04/trey-lance-expected-to-hold-second-pro-day

Will the 49ers attend?
Originally posted by thl408:
Mac Jones
Best case: Tom Brady
Worst case: Ryan Leaf

Justin Fields:
Best case: Tom Brady
Worst case: Ryan Leaf

Trey Lance:
Best case: Tom Brady
Worst case: Ryan Leaf

Those are my predictions.

This lol

Here's my comps

White guys best case Tom Brady...worst case less good white guy

Black guys... best case some fast dude with a big arm

worst case bad black guy who failed.

even peoples comps are bad
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Mike Shanahan helping out...by giving Adam S. the scoop on Mac.


Why does Kirk Cousins keep coming up?! These Shanahans must be banging that dude.

An obsession with something they shared together. Almost creepy.
[ Edited by ComeOnDeberg on Apr 8, 2021 at 12:20 PM ]
From Cam Newton to Justin Fields

Nice hypothetical.

[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 8, 2021 at 12:31 PM ]
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by NCommand:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/04/trey-lance-expected-to-hold-second-pro-day

Will the 49ers attend?

Probably. Can't hurt. Like with Fields, they've got time to kill. Nothing wrong with due diligence.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Here's my thoughts on what I'd expect the best and worst case scenarios for the 3 most likely targets for us:

MAC JONES
Best case: A middle-class version of Tom Brady
Worst case: A Better version of Nick Mullens (bigger, better arm, and less turnovers)

TREY LANCE
Best case: Steve McNair - probably will take a ton of punishment like Steve, but could be a big-time playmaker.
Worst case: Marcus Mariota

JUSTIN FIELDS
Best case: Daunte Culpepper (pre-injury)
Worst case: Daunte Culpepper (post-injury)

How can you say the best case for Mac is the best football player to ever live and the best case for the others is a pro bowl type player? If you're going to do that for Mac, then the "best case" for all of them is Tom Brady.

I'm making that comparison based off of the way each plays the game. Mac Jones himself has said he models his game directly after Tom Brady. I've read the story about him refusing to throw "gimme" interceptions even in practice and the way he studies and competes and I've never seen a prospect more similar to TB before in almost every single way when evaluating him. It's just plain eerie. I've studied Mac incessantly and I see why his former teammates compare him to Tom. BUT.. and it's a big BUT.. I get the knocks too. I ultimately don't know. No one REALLY knows. To really clarify when I say best case Tom Brady, I guess I mean more in terms of at least statistical production. Please refer to the above bolded edit lol.

Lance? He could be an MVP caliber player, but I think because he turns into a runner so much, he could be beat the heck up like Steve got. I loved McNair and I felt like he took so many vicious shots because of his playstyle. Lance seems super super similar in his style of play as well. Huge arm, but can turn into a bull-dozing runner if he wants to.

Fields, big -- though not as big as Daunte was -- and both tested extremely well -- Daunte running 4.5 and Fields running 4.4. Culpepper had a 4:1 TD-INT ratio in his last year of college. Fields had a 3:1 ratio but was even better the previous year. Still, when DC got to the NFL, that consolidated down to around 2:1 except for his best year throwing 39-11. I could see Fields having similar success statistically in the NFL. Fields can obviously run, and so could Daunte. Again, statistically, I am projecting if he pans out, I could see him producing similar rushing and passing numbers to Daunte.

I am an extreme analytical person and will look at everything going back to multi-dimensional statistical analysis to the way they move, the way they process, and the way they react in certain situations. I am ABSOLUTELY NOT just saying "Oh white guy = other white guy" or "Oh this black guy = other black guy who played QB" -- I hope folks would give me more credit based on my incredibly strong and long track record for pick evaluation.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 8, 2021 at 12:53 PM ]
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Mike Shanahan helping out...by giving Adam S. the scoop on Mac.


Why does Kirk Cousins keep coming up?! These Shanahans must be banging that dude.

An obsession with something they shared together. Almost creepy.

It's so funny to me. I just need to know why Cousins? He's the most above average quarterback in the league.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 22,883
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Here's my thoughts on what I'd expect the best and worst case scenarios for the 3 most likely targets for us:

MAC JONES
Best case: A middle-class version of Tom Brady
Worst case: A Better version of Nick Mullens (bigger, better arm, and less turnovers)

TREY LANCE
Best case: Steve McNair - probably will take a ton of punishment like Steve, but could be a big-time playmaker.
Worst case: Marcus Mariota

JUSTIN FIELDS
Best case: Daunte Culpepper (pre-injury)
Worst case: Daunte Culpepper (post-injury)

How can you say the best case for Mac is the best football player to ever live and the best case for the others is a pro bowl type player? If you're going to do that for Mac, then the "best case" for all of them is Tom Brady.

I'm making that comparison based off of the way each plays the game. Mac Jones himself has said he models his game directly after Tom Brady. I've read the story about him refusing to throw "gimme" interceptions even in practice and the way he studies and competes and I've never seen a prospect more similar to TB before in almost every single way when evaluating him. It's just plain eerie. I've studied Mac incessantly and I see why his former teammates compare him to Tom. BUT.. and it's a big BUT.. I get the knocks too. I ultimately don't know. No one REALLY knows. To really clarify when I say best case Tom Brady, I guess I mean more in terms of at least statistical production. Please refer to the above bolded edit lol.

Got it. You're projecting their skill set not their career. You could have used any other pure pocket QB as a comp but you went straight to the top shelf using Brady. Why not Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers etc? To me, it's Brady's intangibles that make him who he is.

If there was a QB prospect that was deftly accurate, strictly played from the pocket, and had numerous instances where he brought his team back from a deficit late in the game to win, then we can say he's Brady-like.

Has Mac had any moments where he had to have a late game winning drive and made it happen? If not, then he's not Brady-like because that's what makes Brady who he is.
Originally posted by thl408:
Got it. You're projecting their skill set not their career. You could have used any other pure pocket QB as a comp but you went straight to the top shelf using Brady. Why not Matt Ryan or Philip Rivers etc? To me, it's Brady's intangibles that make him who he is.

If there was a QB prospect that was deftly accurate, strictly played from the pocket, and had numerous instances where he brought his team back from a deficit late in the game to win, then we can say he's Brady-like.

Has Mac had any moments where he had to have a late game winning drive and made it happen? If not, then he's not Brady-like because that's what makes Brady who he is.

Hence that edit. I say "middle-class" Tom Brady because I think Mac could be a comeback kind of player, but he never really had a chance because he was pretty much always winning. I've mentioned Matt Ryan as another comparison as well, but that or Rivers wouldn't be the "best case" scenario to me. That would still fall a little below even just being like a "middle-class" version of Brady. I do think that's definitely in the possibility range though. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

I am not saying he will turn into any of those guys, I'm just attempting to lay out a dynamic range. I have stated in other places what my ultimate prediction for each is, if I had to guess.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 8, 2021 at 1:39 PM ]

Kyle shanahan: I want a ZB OL based on movement/speed

Kyle shanahan: yeah let's give up 3 1sts for a fat cupcake QB that can't move or make plays off script with a noodle arm and stick him behind our ZB OL they doesn't prioritize pass-pro.

OH and let's complain about our QB not staying healthy too.
Mac Jones needs to go in round 6 before he can even be compare do Tom Brady
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,818
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Mac Jones needs to go in round 6 before he can even be compare do Tom Brady

the ONLY comparison Mac should be having is that he looks like Coach Garrett.. that's G - A - double R - E - double TT !!!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kyle shanahan: I want a ZB OL based on movement/speed

Kyle shanahan: yeah let's give up 3 1sts for a fat cupcake QB that can't move or make plays off script with a noodle arm and stick him behind our ZB OL they doesn't prioritize pass-pro.

OH and let's complain about our QB not staying healthy too.

Are you 100% on Fields now or you still like Lance? I'm leaning Lance but it's 60% to 40% my preference.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Are you 100% on Fields now or you still like Lance? I'm leaning Lance but it's 60% to 40% my preference.

Fields is my QB2, I got Lance as my QB4 but I would at least understand drafting him at 3 overall. Crazy upside.
Share 49ersWebzone