LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Josh Allen OLB/ILB/DE Kentucky

Originally posted by jersey49er:
How surprised would ppl be if he jumped Bosa and was the 1st overall pick by the niners ? I guess a better question is how much distance is between him and Bosa in your eyes ? To me he's the next best pass rusher after Bosa..wonder if his workouts could have him surpass him tho.

Bosa is more advanced than Allen as a pass rusher. Bosa is more advanced than a whole lot of guys currently in the NFL. You can tell that both he and his brother were given a whole other level of coaching growing up, which isn't surprising as their dad was a Top 5 pick in the draft. He is a much more polished prospect than the vast majority of those who come out in the draft. Not that Allen would be a terrible consolation prize either. They are different types of players where I think Allen is much more explosive but Bosa is a much better technician that will simply outwork the guys trying to block him.
Sounds silly I know, but I always remember everyone saying Aaron Curry was the safest pick in the 09 draft. Plug and play fantastic OLB who can rush etc.

Seattle drafted him and he was a complete dud.

I'm hoping this isn't Thomas because he was also the "safe" pick. Lol

It's made me weary of everyone saying an OLB is can't miss etc. or it just taught me that you never know. Even when eeverybscout, "expert", and pundit say the guy is sure fire etc
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Bosa is more advanced than Allen as a pass rusher. Bosa is more advanced than a whole lot of guys currently in the NFL. You can tell that both he and his brother were given a whole other level of coaching growing up, which isn't surprising as their dad was a Top 5 pick in the draft. He is a much more polished prospect than the vast majority of those who come out in the draft. Not that Allen would be a terrible consolation prize either. They are different types of players where I think Allen is much more explosive but Bosa is a much better technician that will simply outwork the guys trying to block him.

I agree with everything except their dad wasn't a top 5 pick. He was picked 16th.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Sounds silly I know, but I always remember everyone saying Aaron Curry was the safest pick in the 09 draft. Plug and play fantastic OLB who can rush etc.

It's made me weary of everyone saying an OLB is can't miss etc. or it just taught me that you never know. Even when eeverybscout, "expert", and pundit say the guy is sure fire etc

Curry was a guy that dominated almost entirely based on athletic ability in college. He had ALL the physical tools that you could ever want in an off ball linebacker but lacked the necessary instincts and football IQ. In college he was bigger, faster and stronger and could out-athlete his opponents. In the NFL it became clear quite quickly that mentally he was overmatched and struggled with the nuances of the game. There are countless examples of guys who are simply dominant athletes in college but quickly get exposed in the NFL game due to their lack of preparation and mental acuity.

Bosa isn't so highly thought of due to ridiculous athletic ability but because of his football IQ, motor and his refined pass rushing technique. He doesn't win on the basis of being a freak athlete, he wins through technique and out-smarting the guy trying to block him. Even if he wasn't named Nick Bosa but rather Nick Smith, he'd still be thought of highly because of his rare combination of traits.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I agree with everything except their dad wasn't a top 5 pick. He was picked 16th.

Doh, could have sworn he was picked 3rd. My bad. Interestingly enough, Bosa's uncle on his mother's side, Eric Kumerow, also went 16th in the NFL draft.
Bosa is so far ahead of Allen in every aspect of pass rushing that it's not even funny. Hell, Bosa is already ahead of most NFL edge rushers at this point in his career, so that's not really an indictment.

Josh Allen really is like a bigger, longer and more athletic Harold Landry lol. He wins 99% of the time with his speed rush. He rarely uses a counter, has underdeveloped hand technique, and has never demonstrated he can win with power despite being 260 lbs. That can either scare or excite someone because it shows he's just scratching the surface of his potential or is a one-trick pony.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 3, 2018 at 11:38 AM ]

Curry and Thomas were drafted to do something different than what they succeeded at in college. As an off-ball LB and DT, respectively, neither had shown that they would be successful as an edge player, but both of the teams that drafted them projected them to the edge. As a rule, huge projections are a bad idea with a top 10 pick.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Bosa is so far ahead of Allen in every aspect of pass rushing that it's not even funny. Hell, Bosa is already ahead of most NFL edge rushers at this point in his career, so that's not really an indictment.

Josh Allen really is like a bigger, longer and more athletic Harold Landry lol. He wins 99% of the time with his speed rush. He rarely uses a counter, has underdeveloped hand technique, and has never demonstrated he can win with power despite being 260 lbs. That can either scare or excite someone because it shows he's just scratching the surface of his potential or is a one-trick pony.

And do we have the right coaching staff to develop him for the love of god go with the day 1 stud...this should be the easiest pick in the world unless some team give up multiple 1sts and we're drafting in the top 10 this yr. then you can think about it. (Still probably going Bosa).
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Curry and Thomas were drafted to do something different than what they succeeded at in college. As an off-ball LB and DT, respectively, neither had shown that they would be successful as an edge player, but both of the teams that drafted them projected them to the edge. As a rule, huge projections are a bad idea with a top 10 pick.

Yup there's a correlation when a player has been successful in college at a certain position he will have success at the same position, as long as they have those NFL nuances/NFL caliber athletic ability...it starts getting hazy when you feel the need to move them from the position that had them as top end draft prospect.

So basically, if you draft someone that was successful as a interior defender and he has the football IQ/athletic ability to play the same position for the love of god play him at that position
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 3, 2018 at 12:47 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
And do we have the right coaching staff to develop him for the love of god go with the day 1 stud...this should be the easiest pick in the world unless some team give up multiple 1sts and we're drafting in the top 10 this yr. then you can think about it. (Still probably going Bosa).

You know what's scary? I forgot which player it was, but a former NFL pass rusher recently said that there's VERY LITTLE pass rush development going on in the NFL. If guys want to improve, they have to do it on their own time in the offseason.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 3, 2018 at 1:33 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Curry was a guy that dominated almost entirely based on athletic ability in college. He had ALL the physical tools that you could ever want in an off ball linebacker but lacked the necessary instincts and football IQ. In college he was bigger, faster and stronger and could out-athlete his opponents. In the NFL it became clear quite quickly that mentally he was overmatched and struggled with the nuances of the game. There are countless examples of guys who are simply dominant athletes in college but quickly get exposed in the NFL game due to their lack of preparation and mental acuity.

Bosa isn't so highly thought of due to ridiculous athletic ability but because of his football IQ, motor and his refined pass rushing technique. He doesn't win on the basis of being a freak athlete, he wins through technique and out-smarting the guy trying to block him. Even if he wasn't named Nick Bosa but rather Nick Smith, he'd still be thought of highly because of his rare combination of traits.

Understood. Curry just popped on my head lol.

If we don't end up with #1 Allen may be the choice.

Bosa is my favorite player this draft. I'm not worried about him at all tbh
Originally posted by Heroism:
You know what's scary? I forgot which player it was, but a former NFL pass rusher recently said that there's VERY LITTLE pass rush development going on in the NFL. If guys want to improve, they have to do it on their own time in the offseason.

Ah I think I heard that on a podcast somewhere 🤔
Understood. Curry just popped on my head lol.

If we don't end up with #1 Allen may be the choice.

Bosa is my favorite player this draft. I'm not worried about him at all tbh

Curry also admits that his driving force was money, and as soon as he got it he lost his drive. He talked about it here.

Allen is all football. He also won't be getting a $60million contract day 1

Can Curry cover? B/c Allen can as well.
[But I see your point.]
Share 49ersWebzone