LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Josh Allen OLB/ILB/DE Kentucky

Originally posted by Heroism:
Allen has grown on me a lot over the last month, and the more I dig into character stuff, the more I think the team is going to love him. Saleh likes bigger edge rushers. Allen gives him size, length AND much-needed speed off the edge. He also gives him versatility with his ability to play SAM from the jump. Like Polite, Allen is just scratching the surface of his potential.

Agreed. Character will help this front office fall in love with him no doubt, which is not a bad thing at all either
He looks good in coverage and blitzing, but a little weak against the run and doesn't seem to have much pop. I watched every snap of his in one game and I saw him flash special pass rush ability and solid cover skills but absolutely get pushed around in the run game. For as many sacks as he gets, I'd have thought he was rushing the passer every down, but they drop him in coverage quite a bit. Seemed like he gave up early on some plays where if he had kept chasing he would have got the tackle for less yards. He let's off the gas when he thinks the play is over where as some other guys like Bosa follow through and end up getting the guy that breaks free of a teammates assumed tackle. Just what I saw after watching every snap from 2 games this year.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
He looks good in coverage and blitzing, but a little weak against the run and doesn't seem to have much pop. I watched every snap of his in one game and I saw him flash special pass rush ability and solid cover skills but absolutely get pushed around in the run game. For as many sacks as he gets, I'd have thought he was rushing the passer every down, but they drop him in coverage quite a bit. Seemed like he gave up early on some plays where if he had kept chasing he would have got the tackle for less yards. He let's off the gas when he thinks the play is over where as some other guys like Bosa follow through and end up getting the guy that breaks free of a teammates assumed tackle. Just what I saw after watching every snap from 2 games this year.

IMO, he'd be a SAM here, so he'd be taking on blocks from TEs, HBs, and FBs most frequently in the run game. Not very concerned there.

Good stuff they love this kid
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 21, 2018 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Spot on analysis. 👌🏾Allen has grown on me a lot. Give him to a DL coach like Tomsula, and I think he could be special.
Where is he projected to go? Because if its in the 20s, I'd love for us to trade up and get him. This is after getting a 3-down pass rusher with the first pick.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Where is he projected to go? Because if its in the 20s, I'd love for us to trade up and get him. This is after getting a 3-down pass rusher with the first pick.

Great Senior Bowl+combine=potential top-10 pick. I think the teens is a safe bet for him, tho.

Production is there, the tape is there. NFL loves players who look the part. Allen checks that box as well.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Great Senior Bowl+combine=potential top-10 pick. I think the teens is a safe bet for him, tho.

Production is there, the tape is there. NFL loves players who look the part. Allen checks that box as well.

So in other words, he won't be our pick unless a team offers us a Hershel Walker trade.
Allen playing now. Kentucky vs. Louisville started 15 min. ago.
Allen's speed rush is lethal. He corners so well for a big man. The exciting thing about Allen is that he's not even close to being a finished product.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 24, 2018 at 5:10 PM ]

The more I watch the more I want this kid
I just got this weird feeling that SF has this kid ranked high...like edge rusher #2 and I'm fine with it
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I just got this weird feeling that SF has this kid ranked high...like edge rusher #2 and I'm fine with it

Agreed
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Top 5 talent.

Share 49ersWebzone