There are 117 users in the forums

Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft V2.0

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Your QB sounds a lot like Philip rivers.

Am I the only one here that thinks Mannion is trash? Yes barely even draftable at this point and this senior bowl game is showing off just how bad he is at decision making. He's hot trash that's a 7th-PUDFA at best.
Looks good to me
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,847
Originally posted by shmuck:
Am I the only one here that thinks Mannion is trash? Yes barely even draftable at this point and this senior bowl game is showing off just how bad he is at decision making. He's hot trash that's a 7th-PUDFA at best.

he's no shmuck
Originally posted by shmuck:
Am I the only one here that thinks Mannion is trash? Yes barely even draftable at this point and this senior bowl game is showing off just how bad he is at decision making. He's hot trash that's a 7th-PUDFA at best.

lol, why don't you tell us how you really feel. What QB would you choose in the middle rounds. My favorite is Grayson but I figured he'd be gone before the 4th round.
Originally posted by LVJay:
I'm digging errryone's mock drafts and this one is really nice as well!

Down with most of the picks and love the first two, but please... no more WRs under 6 ft. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix is just being realistic baalke always drafts 5'10 WRs and gives them #10
Good picks up and down the mock. . . . . .

HOWEVER, I just don't see us addressing the NG position AT ALL this draft, least of all with our first pick. I really don't see Trent going RB in the 2nd two seasons in a row. Now, I do see us addressing the RB position this draft, but not this high. I know everyone has been begging for a deep threat - myself included. But that will not come in the form of a sub 6-2, sub 210lb guy. We've had enough of "speedy" guys who cannot get off the LOS in the NFC West. I actually think we're gonna go 1st or 2nd, no later than 3rd at the CB spot. But I do like the pick. The OLB pick is a good one. With Skuta being a FA, and he played pretty well and got good pressure, I think a team is going to over pay for him. I like the WR pick but I think we're gonna address this position MUCH earlier. Absolutely LOVE the Mannion pick. In fact, I have us taking him in my upcoming mock. Definitely love the late round swing guy.

Overall good mock. . .
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Jan 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
lol, why don't you tell us how you really feel. What QB would you choose in the middle rounds. My favorite is Grayson but I figured he'd be gone before the 4th round.

Grayson is my #3 QB and favorite of the bunch too. His short game is strong.

Other nit picks: I think Dorsett isnt falling out of the second. He had a really strong week this week and he should kill the combine too. Might be better to inverse the picks so it goes 2. Dorsett 3. Johnson or maybe Abdullah. Other then that this draft is an A+
I actually work at UNLV and have seen Devante Davis play quite a bit. I think he's going to run pretty fast for his size and could end up being a pretty good pro. The one year he had decent QB play he had a big year. Other than that, any QB we had could just throw it up and usually count on him to come up with the catch. I wouldn't be mad at all getting him in the 7th. He could potentially be a cheaper version of Kaasim Osgood with room to improve as a receiver.

I like the Shelton pick also, but agree with what someone said earlier that I don't think they go RB in the 2nd round again. Maybe pick up David Cobb, Jeremy Langford, Mike Davis in the 4th round?
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I'm digging errryone's mock drafts and this one is really nice as well!

Down with most of the picks and love the first two, but please... no more WRs under 6 ft. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix is just being realistic baalke always drafts 5'10 WRs and gives them #10
Or #17, and we see how well that worked. I'm with LVJay on this one. Enough with that. We need to be mindful of the division we play in.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,847
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I'm digging errryone's mock drafts and this one is really nice as well!

Down with most of the picks and love the first two, but please... no more WRs under 6 ft. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix is just being realistic baalke always drafts 5'10 WRs and gives them #10

LOL...

I think Ellington is going to do fine with us and if Patton could become more durable he can shine... they just haven't had much playing time.

If we had all guys under 6ft and were real good, then I'd be more than satisfied, but it won't hurt to have a big body that (isn't) a bust. We haven't had a good one since TO... we can use one.

Fantastic mock
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 27,847
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Or #17, and we see how well that worked. I'm with LVJay on this one. Enough with that. We need to be mindful of the division we play in.

Exactly!

Although, guys like TY Hilton run circles around the Cawks... I'd give up Boldin, SJ and Patton just for one Hilton (under 6 ft).

But can we at least get one big deep threat (it's been a long time since T.O.)
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Or #17, and we see how well that worked. I'm with LVJay on this one. Enough with that. We need to be mindful of the division we play in.

Exactly!

Although, guys like TY Hilton run circles around the Cawks... I'd give up Boldin, SJ and Patton just for one Hilton (under 6 ft).

But can we at least get one big deep threat (it's been a long time since T.O.)
This.

I cannot stress enough to folks about how we need to understand the division we play in. Six of our games will be against some of the leagues best defenses, defenses that boasts of big physical CB's were, as a whole and on average, smaller WR's don't have much success against. They have a harder time getting off the LOS and often get re-routed, causing the QB to hold the ball longer. TY Hilton plays in a division with defenses nowhere near as physical as the Seaducks, Cards, 49ers, and Rams. TY Hilton is good for his division, but I'm not so sure how much success he'd have in the NFC West.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This.

I cannot stress enough to folks about how we need to understand the division we play in. Six of our games will be against some of the leagues best defenses, defenses that boasts of big physical CB's were, as a whole and on average, smaller WR's don't have much success against. They have a harder time getting off the LOS and often get re-routed, causing the QB to hold the ball longer. TY Hilton plays in a division with defenses nowhere near as physical as the Seaducks, Cards, 49ers, and Rams. TY Hilton is good for his division, but I'm not so sure how much success he'd have in the NFC West.


Besides eating up Seattle right?

The one common thing is that the receivers that they've had the most trouble with are all guys under 6 feet tall who possess a lot of speed and quickness. Not sure why your mindset is that you need big physical receivers to play against big physical cornerbacks, you're only playing into their hands by giving them a bigger target to hold on to. Calvin Johnson did jack s**t against them while TY Hilton went for over 140 yards receiving.

How did Denver's big receivers do against them last year? Do you really think you are going to throw over the top on Richard Sherman??


Sherman has shown that he struggles versus smaller, faster guys that force him to turn his hips. TY Hilton, Jarius Wright, Kendall Wright all had success against them. They go into motion right before the snap, make their cuts and beat them through their speed and quickness. The way the Colts used Hilton should be a blueprint in terms of attacking their defense.


The 49ers need a true gamebreaker type, a guy with the ability to be a threat way downfield, whether that guy is 6'5", or 5'8", it doesn't matter, he just has to add that element that he can take the top off a defense consistently. In this draft, when I look at vertical threats, particularly outside the first round, Dorsett and Lockett seem like the most viable choices.


John Brown is a little munchkin as a receiver but that didn't stop him from giving the 49ers some major headaches. He had a tremendous rookie season inspite of being "undersized" and playing in the beastly NFC West which I think matters a whole lot less than you seem to.


Speed kills, it doesn't matter who the defense is, big or small, speed is a trump card if you can utilize it properly. The single biggest weakness on the 49ers entire offense is the lack of speed, pure and simple. If you don't give teams a reason to respect you down the field, you allow them to compress the field, bring their safeties up and attack you in the short zone.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM ]
Originally posted by shmuck:
Am I the only one here that thinks Mannion is trash? Yes barely even draftable at this point and this senior bowl game is showing off just how bad he is at decision making. He's hot trash that's a 7th-PUDFA at best.

I wouldn't say he's trash, I however am not a fan of his either. We can do better.
Share 49ersWebzone