LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

Phoenix 49ers Mock Draft V2.0

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
I'm digging errryone's mock drafts and this one is really nice as well!

Down with most of the picks and love the first two, but please... no more WRs under 6 ft. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best rookie receiver this year was under 6 feet (ODBJ). Leading receiver in the NFL was under 6 feet. 6 of the top 10 leading receivers...6 feet or under. In the playoffs the top 3 leading receivers are under 6 feet.

#SizeDiscrimination
  • evil
  • Veteran

Down with most of the picks and love the first two, but please... no more WRs under 6 ft. ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best rookie receiver this year was under 6 feet (ODBJ). Leading receiver in the NFL was under 6 feet. 6 of the top 10 leading receivers...6 feet or under. In the playoffs the top 3 leading receivers are under 6 feet.

#SizeDiscrimination
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

#SizeDiscrimination

I hear what you're saying bro, but we haven't done well in the WR department... if we follow that trend, I'd rather have a tall (bust) than a short (bust).

**** Baalke (in this regards), he can't draft a good WR to save his life!!

I hope to the high heavens he has nothing to do with this year's draft when it comes to WRs/catching TEs

BTW, I like the Ellington pick... he and Patton may have a bright future. Boldin and SJ aren't exactly very tall. We don't have any tall (deep threat) WRs on deck. I think we can really use one.
[ Edited by LVJay on Jan 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM ]
I hear what you're saying bro, but we haven't done well in the WR department... if we follow that trend, I'd rather have a tall (bust) than a short (bust).

Other than Jenkins, they've all been late round guys. Patton and Ellington both appear to have a lot of potential but its hard to know what guys can or can't do when they never get an opportunity to show it. If nothing else I hope the new coaching staff on offense is better able to utilize younger players on offense. Remember when this coaching staff couldn't figure out how to use Lockette. Do you think a guy like Jermaine Kearse would have gotten the time of day with the 49ers, I dont.

I think its way too early to write the book on what Baalke is and isn't able to draft, especially considering how much influence the coaching staff has on draft picks as well. If he goes out and drafts a complete bust at WR in the first round, then that certainly would strengthen the case, however if guys like Patton and Ellington become productive receivers, then maybe the problem was never the talent...........................
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:02 PM ]
Phoenix to the WZ : Oh you guys like BIG receivers...well I will put one in my mock....in the 7th round.

#TrollingHard

To be honest, Davis really isn't a throwaway pick, I think there's a lot of upside there, he's kind of raw, doesn't have the best hands and certainly there's questions about his ability to create separation but he's got that Owens-like physicality, just a really tough receiver, could even move up the boards a bit. I wouldn't be upset to have them take a flyer on him a little earlier in the draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran

#SizeDiscrimination

I hope to the high heavens he has nothing to do with this year's draft when it comes to WRs/catching TEs

BTW, I like the Ellington pick... he and Patton may have a bright future. Boldin and SJ aren't exactly very tall. We don't have any tall (deep threat) WRs on deck. I think we can really use one.

Tall or short, a bust is a bust. Tall or short, a deep threat is a deep threat.

The notion that Baalke cannot draft wide receivers is preposterous. 4 taken in 4 years, 1 1st rounder who busted, 2 4th rounders who are unknowns and a 6th rounder who never developed. He has not invested heavily in the position with actual draft picks, and I think a lot of the notion that he cannot draft wr's is based off of 1 bust and little investments made into the position. Unfortunately that does not reveal whether he has a good eye for the position or not.

It should not matter if we take a guy who is under 6 or over 6.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Other than Jenkins, they've all been late round guys. Patton and Ellington both appear to have a lot of potential but its hard to know what guys can or can't do when they never get an opportunity to show it. If nothing else I hope the new coaching staff on offense is better able to utilize younger players on offense. Remember when this coaching staff couldn't figure out how to use Lockette. Do you think a guy like Jermaine Kearse would have gotten the time of day with the 49ers, I dont.

I think its way too early to write the book on what Baalke is and isn't able to draft, especially considering how much influence the coaching staff has on draft picks as well. If he goes out and drafts a complete bust at WR in the first round, then that certainly would strengthen the case, however if guys like Patton and Ellington become productive receivers, then maybe the problem was never the talent...........................

The notion that Baalke cannot draft wide receivers is preposterous. 4 taken in 4 years, 1 1st rounder who busted, 2 4th rounders who are unknowns and a 6th rounder who never developed. He has not invested heavily in the position with actual draft picks, and I think a lot of the notion that he cannot draft wr's is based off of 1 bust and little investments made into the position. Unfortunately that does not reveal whether he has a good eye for the position or not.

I admit, AJJ still lingers in my mind...

As far as the bust deal, a taller one might be more attractive in the case of trade bait... we sure were fooled with Jonathan Baldwin (tall bust)

This. If you look at the two Superbowl teams at WR, their highest impact guys are all 6 feet and under, LaFell is the only one over 6 feet tall. All of Seattle's guys are pretty much 6 feet and under.

The key to me is your ability to get open, whether 6'5" or 5'9", if you can get open, a QB will find you generally.
We had a tall WR in Jon Baldwin(6'4) and he was useless.

Tall doesn't equate productive.

my personal order of importance of attributes:

ability to get open(route running/reading coverage) >> catching (hands/high pointing) >>> speed/quickness >>> size
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM ]

As far as the bust deal, a taller one might be more attractive in the case of trade bait... we sure were fooled with Jonathan Baldwin (tall bust)

So the 49ers traded one garbage receiver for a bigger garbage receiver...........how does that show that Baldwin was attractive to them. I think both teams just saw an opportunity to swap guys they had completely given up on in the hope that they would somehow perform better in a new system.

Your QB sounds a lot like Philip rivers.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Drafting a NT in the first round? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

But I do like the following picks, especially Bryon Jones.

Nice mock

that's my only problem here, we have Dorsey and Williams, plus Dial is okay at NT. We have other areas to address in the 1st round that are way higher priority over NT.
Originally posted by matt49er:
that's my only problem here, we have Dorsey and Williams, plus Dial is okay at NT. We have other areas to address in the 1st round that are way higher priority over NT.

Williams hasn't shown that he can stay healthy. With a change in defensive coordinators, I predict you'll see more emphasis put on the nose tackle than Fangio ever did. Dorsey could very well see time at DE as well as NT.

The 49ers defense has largely been dependent on the ends being able to stop the run, their best year in 2011 was mostly due to Justin Smith and Ray McDonald playing out of their minds. McDonald is gone, its unknown if Smith will be back, if you can find a guy to anchor the middle and take up double teams, it makes life far easier for whoever they put at DE.

If Shelton does wind up the caliber player of a Vince Wilfork, I doubt anyone will be complaining that he is "only an NT."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:40 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

So the 49ers traded one garbage receiver for a bigger garbage receiver...........how does that show that Baldwin was attractive to them. I think both teams just saw an opportunity to swap guys they had completely given up on in the hope that they would somehow perform better in a new system.

Tall bust
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Drafting a NT in the first round? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

But I do like the following picks, especially Bryon Jones.

Nice mock

McDonald is gone, Justin might be gone as well and Williams may have durability issues... could be some shuffling going on soon.
Share 49ersWebzone