LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Patterson has to be the far better returner.

Not sure you are right on this. Depends on how you want to determine better.

One possibility is to look at production.

Patterson had 12 kick returns for 671 yards and one touchdown.
Austin had 97 kick returns for 2,407 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Cordarrelle Patterson had 4 punt returns for 101 yards and 1 touchdown.
Tavon Austin had 34 punt returns for 433 yards and 1 touchdown.

These numbers do not support your assertion that Patterson has to be a far better returner.
Not sure that these numbers even support the contention that Patterson is a better returner.

Another way to look at the return game is to look at average per return.

Patterson averaged 27.96 yards per kick return.
Austin averaged 23.93 yards per kick return.

Still not far better.

Patterson averaged 25.25 yards per punt return.
Austin averaged 12.56 yards per punt return.
Patterson clearly has a far better average than Austin.

The problem is that he only had 4 punt returns.
He did not have enough returns to qualify for the national rankings.

Ricardo Lockette has averaged 52.5 yards per reception.
But, he has only had 2 receptions in his career.

All in all, I would have to say Patterson is clearly not a far better returner than Austin.

I would argue that Austin has proven to be a more productive returner.

Many thanks for bringing up the stats !! Before I comment, I would appreciate if you could help me to clarify some of those numbers. You mentioned the following :

Patterson - 12 kick returns for 671 yards
Austin - 97 kick returns for 2,407 yards

Then, you worked out the average yard / kick return to be :

Patterson - 27.96 yards
Austin - 23.93 yards

My question is, shouldn't that be :

Patterson - 52.92 yards
Austin - 24.81 yards

Just in case my Maths is right, that to me is quite a difference with Patterson's average being more than twice as much as Austin. Interestingly, this seems to be in line with your own admission of the average yards / punt return with Patterson also being somewhat higher at 25.25 yards as compared to 12.56 yards for Austin.

If you go by stats alone, both of these figures tell me Patterson is definitely better. OK, I admit I might have been a little excited when I said "far better". The question is should more than twice be classified as being "far better" ? It could be just semantics we are talking about here.

It seems to me your argument is that Patterson hasn't done as much time as Austin if you will. That I can't argue with you, but neither can I agree with you that Austin is better.

As a straight deduction from the stats you presented, you can perhaps say Austin is a proven returner over time simply because he has played longer. But, that doesn't necessarily mean he is better. On the contrary, I can argue based on the same numbers, Patterson looks to be the returner with more potential who can make bigger plays. I would say that would be a fair interpretation. Agree ?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
Actually, I think he'll be around in the mid teens at least

Probably. But, even at mid teens, that would still be a pretty major investment, don't you think ?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Wheelz29:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Tavon Austin 5 inches 45lbs = Cordarrelle Patterson.

Seriously Austin fans, Cordarrelle Patterson is a much bigger version of Tavon Austin.

Patterson is just as fast just as explosive is also a special playmaker a whole lot bigger than Austin and is the more valuable wideout.

6'2 216lb wideout Patterson has a far better chance at succeeding in the NFL than the diminutive 5-9 174lb slot player Austin.

Depends how the draft plays out and who falls but there may also be more of a chance to get Patterson and give up less.

Patterson by far is the better pick.

This is absurd beyond belief. Patterson has great measurables and nice potential, but he just as easily be a major bust. He's had one season on his resume....one. He's very raw as a route runner and doesn't have the most reliable hands where Austin has been tremendously productive for 3 seasons, has far superior hands and is a much better route runner. Patterson also is nowhere near explosive as Austin. Patterson is a guy with good upside that you draft and hope he becomes a good player, Austin is a guy with an extensive resume AND tremendous measurables to be a productive player in the NFL.
This! Last year we took a receiver (Jenkins) that was far more polished than Patterson and even when our receiver depth was beat to crap, still could barely crack the field. Now somebody wants ANOTHER receiver that is far more green and far less develped than the guy that couldn't crack the line up last year or atleast a decent amount of playing time... . Forget that, if we go receiver again this year than I want somebody that has a chance to produce. See Phoenix's argument.
If we go WR again we are going to start to look like lions of the NFC west

Unlike the lions at that time, we have the real opportunity to take the best player that we feel is available at any time. Thats a perk when you have a super bowl contending roster... . Also ask yourself what they would have said had they thought that way and passed up Calvin Johnson? Am I saying that Tavon Austin is as good as Calvin Johnson, heck no! But Austin could be a dynamic playmaker used in a different way for this team, in a different mold other than Calvin Johnson.
I just hope we don't give up too many draft picks for this guy, or any player in this draft being that this draft is deep in positions of need
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Who exactly are these slot receivers stacking our roster?

Manningham is not a slot receiver, and he will be lucky to play next year.

Not sure that Jenkins is a slot receiver, but he might be.

Kyle Williams is a slot receiver, his production over the last three years has been pretty minimal.

In my estimation, our receiving corps needs to be strengthened.

Sorry, I am confused, Mario is not a slot receiver ? If he isn't, how would you classify him then ?

Kyle is still young and was just starting to improve after Kaep took control under center, but then needless to say the ACL came.

I would argue both Mario and Kyle were just starting to develop some great chemistry with Kaep, but then too bad both went down.

Then, there are still Jenkins (granted he is still not ready) and Chad Hall who is definitely a slot receiver. Ricardo Lockette on the other hand is probably more of deep threat which we will have to wait and see.

On top of that, you still have Vernon who plays in the middle. Plus, all our RBs, Frank, Kendall and LaMike all contribute in the passing game.

Isn't that enough ?

But, what we don't have is a legit deep guy. Crab might play on the outside, but he is not a prototypical deep guy for us. May be I should clarify myself, when I say deep, I mean 50 yards type throws. Kaep had made quite a number of such attempts to Randy Moss, but by and large they didn't quite connect. To me, that is the guy we badly need when we all know how explosive Kaep can be. That guy can probably wing it for 70 yards without breaking a sweat.

So, all in all, I am with you on the need to improve on the receiving corp, only that we might be after different types of guys. For me, I am quite single-minded in wanting a deep guy. You seem far more keen on a small guy for the middle. Bottomline, we will definitely need more playmakers especially given how both the Seahawks and Falcons have improved their rosters with all their signings.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
We're gonna be a more run based team this year.. Kendal hunter will be back and our runnig game will be best in the league. Alex got us to the NFC champ game with Brett swain

I don't think so. We have moved passed that already. The ratio between passing and running plays should remain about the same like this year after Kaep took over under center. My read is we will continue to develop the Pistol with more and better plays.In fact, the passing game has to further evolve to develop and polish up Kaep's throws.
Can't wait to see CK7 to CP84 we need to add a wideout deep threat beast and not a midget receiver for the slot!

For player evaluation reference adding this awesome Cordarrelle Patterson review to thread...

I would have no problem making a trade up deal with the Bears at 20th overall drafting this kid and coaching him up...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/42536/321/patterson-the-playmaker

21-year-old true junior Cordarrelle Patterson emerged as the Vols' premier all-purpose weapon. Patterson found four different ways to score touchdowns and averaged an 18.8-yard gain every time he handled the rock. I had seen a few of Patterson's highlights and a cut-up video before this Evaluation, but nothing substantial. I entered this one with no preconceived opinions and a wide-open mind. In my first real exposure to Patterson, I watched six Tennessee games, all of Patterson's touches twice, and charted each with detailed notes.

One fact crystallized after about two games: Scoring touchdowns and playing explosive football come natural to Cordarrelle Patterson. He is a natural playmaker. Listed at 6-foot-3, 205, Patterson's body type is similar to Dez Bryant and Julio Jones', and his game is especially similar to Julio's. Patterson's movements seemed effortless even as he outraced defensive backs and made oncoming defenders shiver. Julio is a bit like that. Randy Moss was like that, too.Although Patterson's primary position in Tennessee's offense was "X-Iso" receiver on the outside, the Vols devised ways other than fly and go routes to put the ball in Patterson's hands. In the six games I viewed, one of Patterson's most impressive plays came on a 15-yard rushing attempt in the fourth quarter versus Mississippi State.Lined up as a traditional tailback, Patterson accepted quarterback Tyler Bray's handoff and moved subtly, patiently to his right. Running upright and contemplating his lane, Patterson exploded suddenly with a violent cut on a sweep, forcing Bulldogs linebackers Deontae Skinner and Bernardrick McKinney to flail and miss badly. Patterson dipped his shoulder and finished the run with forceful authority. The run was Petersonian.

I checked the box score after watching the Mississippi State game, just for kicks. Patterson had two catches for 25 yards. He was still a Human Highlight Reel, ripping off devastating cuts to make three Bulldogs special teamers look silly on a 98-yard kickoff return touchdown. Patterson turned a 10-yard loss into a long gain on a reverse, busting a tackle deep in the backfield, making another defender miss, and reversing field again en route to a 34-yard pickup. His first reception came in heralded cornerback Johnthan Banks' coverage, as Patterson's precise curl-out route left Banks flat footed for 14 yards along the left sideline. Patterson got his second catch versus another highly touted draft prospect in Darius Slay, out-muscling Banks' bookend for an 11-yard touchdown on a fade. Patterson just barely missed an additional kick return score, shaking two Bulldogs before a lucky shoestring tackle stopped Patterson at the 39-yard line with only green grass in front of him. Despite catching just two balls against Mississippi State, Patterson finished with 195 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. (When you say 'play', I say 'maker'.)

Facing another top-rated cornerback versus North Carolina State, Patterson whipped 2011 NCAA interceptions leader David Amerson for a 41-yard scoring bomb, creating a cavity of separation at the end of his fly route. Patterson continued his schooling of Amerson on an end-around, breaking three tackles and easily outrunning Amerson for a 67-yard rushing touchdown. Against Missouri, Patterson had two TDs negated by penalties, the first on a silly high-stepping call and the second on a hold that didn't affect the play. Patterson lost yet another touchdown against Vanderbilt after juking Commodores safety Kenny Ladler on a quick curl and scoring from 27 yards out. Officials caught the Vols' center blocking too far downfield.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.

I think I read somewhere that Patterson is a poor route runner. Could've fooled me. He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot. Just once did I see Patterson seem to blow a route; versus Vanderbilt. I couldn't tell if the miscommunication was on him or Tyler Bray. Patterson shot in and out of breaks. He used a crossover to evade press coverage off the line of scrimmage. His body control was fantastic both along the sideline and in the open field.Patterson's game tape is nothing short of sensational, and as explained above he dominated games in the SEC even while taking a receiving backseat to Hunter. Watch Patterson work the slant and fade versus Florida. He lit up Missouri and Mississippi State with game-breaking all-purpose plays. Patterson broke off a 45-yard kickoff return against Alabama. On a reverse, Patterson made swiss cheese of the middle of Georgia's defense on a 46-yard end-zone trip.

Based on what I read about Patterson before watching the tape, I expected a raw, unpolished, mistake-prone receiver. A talented project. I did see big-time talent, but I didn't see many mistakes at all. If Cordarrelle Patterson is a boom-or-bust pick in April's draft, write me down as predicting a smashing boom.

[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 31, 2013 at 6:50 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Can't wait to see CK7 to CP84 we need wideout deep threat beast and not a midget for the slot!

For player evaluation reference adding this awesome Cordarrelle Patterson review to thread...

I would have no problem making a trade up deal with the Bears at 20th overall drafting this kid and coaching him up...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...-the-playmakerQuote:

One fact crystallized after about two games: Scoring touchdowns and playing explosive football come natural to Cordarrelle Patterson. He is a natural playmaker. Listed at 6-foot-3, 205, Patterson's body type is similar to Dez Bryant and Julio Jones', and his game is especially similar to Julio's. Patterson's movements seemed effortless even as he outraced defensive backs and made oncoming defenders shiver. Julio is a bit like that. Randy Moss was like that, too.Although Patterson's primary position in Tennessee's offense was "X-Iso" receiver on the outside, the Vols devised ways other than fly and go routes to put the ball in Patterson's hands. In the six games I viewed, one of Patterson's most impressive plays came on a 15-yard rushing attempt in the fourth quarter versus Mississippi State.Lined up as a traditional tailback, Patterson accepted quarterback Tyler Bray's handoff and moved subtly, patiently to his right. Running upright and contemplating his lane, Patterson exploded suddenly with a violent cut on a sweep, forcing Bulldogs linebackers Deontae Skinner and Bernardrick McKinney to flail and miss badly. Patterson dipped his shoulder and finished the run with forceful authority. The run was Petersonian.I checked the box score after watching the Mississippi State game, just for kicks. Patterson had two catches for 25 yards. He was still a Human Highlight Reel, ripping off devastating cuts to make three Bulldogs special teamers look silly on a 98-yard kickoff return touchdown. Patterson turned a 10-yard loss into a long gain on a reverse, busting a tackle deep in the backfield, making another defender miss, and reversing field again en route to a 34-yard pickup. His first reception came in heralded cornerback Johnthan Banks' coverage, as Patterson's precise curl-out route left Banks flat footed for 14 yards along the left sideline. Patterson got his second catch versus another highly touted draft prospect in Darius Slay, out-muscling Banks' bookend for an 11-yard touchdown on a fade. Patterson just barely missed an additional kick return score, shaking two Bulldogs before a lucky shoestring tackle stopped Patterson at the 39-yard line with only green grass in front of him. Despite catching just two balls against Mississippi State, Patterson finished with 195 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. (When you say 'play', I say 'maker'.)

Facing another top-rated cornerback versus North Carolina State, Patterson whipped 2011 NCAA interceptions leader David Amerson for a 41-yard scoring bomb, creating a cavity of separation at the end of his fly route. Patterson continued his schooling of Amerson on an end-around, breaking three tackles and easily outrunning Amerson for a 67-yard rushing touchdown. Against Missouri, Patterson had two TDs negated by penalties, the first on a silly high-stepping call and the second on a hold that didn't affect the play. Patterson lost yet another touchdown against Vanderbilt after juking Commodores safety Kenny Ladler on a quick curl and scoring from 27 yards out. Officials caught the Vols' center blocking too far downfield.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.

I think I read somewhere that Patterson is a poor route runner. Could've fooled me. He ran a full route tree in Tennessee's pro-style offense, executing the curl, hitch, skinny post, slant, back-shoulder fade, and deep-in as an X receiver, and the out-and-up and shallow cross from the slot. Just once did I see Patterson seem to blow a route; versus Vanderbilt. I couldn't tell if the miscommunication was on him or Tyler Bray. Patterson shot in and out of breaks. He used a crossover to evade press coverage off the line of scrimmage. His body control was fantastic both along the sideline and in the open field.Patterson's game tape is nothing short of sensational, and as explained above he dominated games in the SEC even while taking a receiving backseat to Hunter. Watch Patterson work the slant and fade versus Florida. He lit up Missouri and Mississippi State with game-breaking all-purpose plays. Patterson broke off a 45-yard kickoff return against Alabama. On a reverse, Patterson made swiss cheese of the middle of Georgia's defense on a 46-yard end-zone trip.

Based on what I read about Patterson before watching the tape, I expected a raw, unpolished, mistake-prone receiver. A talented project. I did see big-time talent, but I didn't see many mistakes at all. If Cordarrelle Patterson is a boom-or-bust pick in April's draft, write me down as predicting a smashing boom.

Amen. Very well said and great read !!

Just 1 question, do you think by trading up for Bears' 20th pick will be enough to get him ? I have serious doubt. I think he will be gone latest by about the 15th pick.

I am of the opinion that the 9ers won't trade up that high and under that circumstance, I think Justin Hunter would be a great choice too minus the return game.

Any opnion on Justin Hunter ?
Originally posted by Rascal:
Amen. Very well said and great read !!

Just 1 question, do you think by trading up for Bears' 20th pick will be enough to get him ? I have serious doubt. I think he will be gone latest by about the 15th pick.

I am of the opinion that the 9ers won't trade up that high and under that circumstance, I think Justin Hunter would be a great choice too minus the return game.

Any opnion on Justin Hunter ?

Patterson could be there at 20th as with every draft depends who falls where and teams needs etc. There are always draft surprises in the 1st round who would have thought Aaron Rodgers would have fallen to the Packers in 2005.

Yes Rams heavily rumored to want the wideout Patterson and or the slot guy Austin with their 16th and or 22nd. They may opt for Austin to replace slot receiver Amendola. Patterson I've seen has been mocked anywhere from as high as 6th to as low as 23rd. 49ers have 14 picks and limited cap room and roster spots. Patterson & Eifert would electrify the offense and add weapons for CK7 and add depth in case of injuries to the WR group again.

Top 3 i would love to come out of the draft with...
Cordarrelle Patterson
Tyler Eifert
John Cyprien

I previously posted in another thread the 40 combine times were broken down frame by frame Patterson & Austin finished in a virtual dead heat.

Austin 4.27 (correction from 4.30)
Patterson 4.30

Both electrifyingly fast!!

Looking at Justin Hunter's film he's big and fast but after the catch he appears to be taken down very easily. He has the potential to be coached up but he's nowhere near the explosive playmaker that Patterson is. No way would i trade up for Hunter over Patterson. ceeflashpee84 has elite skills says he wants to live out his dream of playing in the NFL and developing into a pro bowler. I'd take the chance on this kid by trading up to get him in the 1st round because i believe Patterson can be coached up and will be coached up and become an elite wideout for the 49ers. I think Panthers at 14th or Bears at 20th may be the 49ers best chance for trading up.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Tavon Austin + 5 inches + 45lbs = Cordarrelle Patterson.

Seriously Austin fans, Cordarrelle Patterson is a much bigger version of Tavon Austin.

Patterson is just as fast just as explosive is also a special playmaker a whole lot bigger than Austin and is the more valuable wideout.

6'2 216lb wideout Patterson has a far better chance at succeeding in the NFL than the diminutive 5-9 174lb slot player Austin.

Depends how the draft plays out and who falls but there may also be more of a chance to get Patterson and give up less.

Why wasn't he as productive then? He also one had one good season at a major school. Austin had three.
If Austin's "diminutive" size worries you that much why doesn't Patterson only putting up good numbers in one year? For all we know Patterson could be another Darrius Heyward-Bey who has similar size and speed.

Austin has never missed a game, so his size isn't an issue for me and I feel we can find another big body receiver later. Austin is the ULTIMATE slot receiver, and could be like Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, and Santana Moss, with jukes that would make Barry Sanders Proud. Patterson is more of an outside receiver, with a less impressive resume, was less consistent, and I feel the poster I quoted has a valid comparison in the Heyward-Bey comparison. Patterson is far more risky

Well first off the 49ers don't need a midget slot receiver.

I just wish Austin was 5-6 inches taller and about 45 lbs heavier in build that would be just perfect with those explosive playmaking skills.

Then i'd trade up to just about anywhere in the 1st round to get an elite wideout like that.

Yeah i just wish Tavon Austin was built like this wideout prospect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE
Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

You prefer a one year wonder because he is taller and heavier than the midget.

Baalke has said that medical records, personality and game tape are the most important considerations when evaluating a player.

In his one year at Tennessee, Patterson played against three schools that are not in the SEC, schools that I believe are in the FCS.
If we compare Patterson's work as a receiver against those three schools (Georgia St, Troy, and Akron) with his same work against three of the top SEC schools (Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi St)

Non SEC schools --- 14 receptions for 310 yards and 1 score
3 Top SEC schools-- 5 receptions for 80 yards and 1 score.

Georgia-- 2 receptions for 31 yards and 0 scores
Alabama--1 reception for 24 yards and 0 scores
Miss St--- 2 receptions for 25 yards and 1 score.

I think the midget is a better option.

I completely agree. Patterson's ability to create separation down the line is my concern. I didn't see much of that on the youtube video posted in this thread. I can only imagine NFL corners making it even harder for him. Although gme tape production is key, so is size in the NFL. Not to say Austin would not be successful because it would largely depend on the system, how he is used, and how much chemistry he had with his QB. The question is, do we need a playmaker slot receiver or not? Is Baalke inclined to taking Austin by way of trading up? I doubt it, however, anything is possible in this years draft since we own it with so many picks. I truly believe Baalke will end up moving up and drafting less players overall since we have a lot of talent and unused draftees from last year.
Originally posted by Wheelz29:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Tavon Austin + 5 inches + 45lbs = Cordarrelle Patterson.

This is absurd beyond belief. Patterson has great measurables and nice potential, but he just as easily be a major bust. He's had one season on his resume....one. He's very raw as a route runner and doesn't have the most reliable hands where Austin has been tremendously productive for 3 seasons, has far superior hands and is a much better route runner. Patterson also is nowhere near explosive as Austin. Patterson is a guy with good upside that you draft and hope he becomes a good player, Austin is a guy with an extensive resume AND tremendous measurables to be a productive player in the NFL.
This! Last year we took a receiver (Jenkins) that was far more polished than Patterson and even when our receiver depth was beat to crap, still could barely crack the field. Now somebody wants ANOTHER receiver that is far more green and far less develped than the guy that couldn't crack the line up last year or atleast a decent amount of playing time... . Forget that, if we go receiver again this year than I want somebody that has a chance to produce. See Phoenix's argument.
If we go WR again we are going to start to look like lions of the NFC west

No. Taking a wide receiver in the first two times will not make us look like the Lions---think we would have to do it three or four times in a row.

true story and all three or four would have to be top 10 picks

Gil Brandt has been doing some research in his latest mock...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/170652

16th Rams - Austin
22nd Rams - Lacy
23rd Vikings - Patterson
Patterson has enormous upside, but because the former junior college player has limited high-level experience, he might not look that good as a rookie. Former Tennessee coach (and current Cowboys receivers coach) Derek Dooley told me that he loves Patterson, but said it's important to remember he hasn't had much experience. He catches the ball very well, which he showed at his pro day.
Both are big time playmakers but when you are 6'3 215 lbs and you have the balance, agility, change of direction and quick burst of a 5'8 player, you get my vote. You just don't see big guys like that aside from Dez Bryant. Austin was productive longer but CP is just a freak of nature. He is relentless with the ball in his hands and if he isn't making you miss, he is looking to run through you. He even came out the backfield quite a bit and that is something you expect from a 5'7 type receiver, not a guy built like a Julio Jones. All in all, I'd be happy with either one of them but if we are talking about trading up, it would be for Patterson as he could very well step in as that 2nd WR once Boldin leaves. Jenkins and Williams can play the slot
Originally posted by Sims84:
Both are big time playmakers but when you are 6'3 215 lbs and you have the balance, agility, change of direction and quick burst of a 5'8 player, you get my vote. You just don't see big guys like that aside from Dez Bryant. Austin was productive longer but CP is just a freak of nature. He is relentless with the ball in his hands and if he isn't making you miss, he is looking to run through you. He even came out the backfield quite a bit and that is something you expect from a 5'7 type receiver, not a guy built like a Julio Jones. All in all, I'd be happy with either one of them but if we are talking about trading up, it would be for Patterson as he could very well step in as that 2nd WR once Boldin leaves. Jenkins and Williams can play the slot

Agreed i think Colin Kaepernick to Cordarrelle Patterson would make a dynamic deep threat combination for the 49ers in 2013 and going forward beyond 2013 as Boldin and or Crabtree could both be gone in 1-2 years. 49ers can't afford to sign any elite FA WR's in the near future Patterson would be a great pickup in the draft. Contending 49ers very likely to be drafting at the bottom of draft rounds for several years to come with 14 picks in 2013 trade up now for an elite wideout in Patterson.

We need to add more weapons for CK7 49ers have the 21st ranked passing offense & the 23rd ranked 3rd down conversion offense in the NFL. Just to win the division in 2013 will be a war. The Seahawks are a good team on the rise and have added Harvin and beat us up bad in their barn 42-13. The Rams are improving under Fisher have 2 #1 picks and the 49ers did not beat them last season. Then to win the NFC you can bet Patton and Brees will have the Saints back in contention. The Falcons have added Jackson out of the backfield are getting TG back at TE to go with Julio Jones and Roddy White outside. Rodgers and the Packers will be looking for revenge and Eli Manning should have a bounce back year.
Both of these guy have questions about them. I have seen both play and they are both very explosive. I like them both. Collage and the por game are different and Pattersons could be Like Julio Jones or DHB. And, Austin could be like Wes Welker or Dexter McCluster. They both have all the skills to be great I think its more about work ethic and what is in there head. I like them both. I do not think the 49er will be able to trade up for one of these guys I think they will both be goon in the teens somewhere. If one of them is there at 20 and they can move up without giving up the hole draft awsome. with what the 49er have on the team right now. I think Patterson could help more. They have LMJ that I think with the off season to work on his receving and is going to be very good player. I hope they can line LMJ up and use him the way GB uses Randall Cobb.
Originally posted by dlance:
Both of these guy have questions about them. I have seen both play and they are both very explosive. I like them both. Collage and the por game are different and Pattersons could be Like Julio Jones or DHB. And, Austin could be like Wes Welker or Dexter McCluster. They both have all the skills to be great I think its more about work ethic and what is in there head. I like them both. I do not think the 49er will be able to trade up for one of these guys I think they will both be goon in the teens somewhere. If one of them is there at 20 and they can move up without giving up the hole draft awsome. with what the 49er have on the team right now. I think Patterson could help more. They have LMJ that I think with the off season to work on his receving and is going to be very good player. I hope they can line LMJ up and use him the way GB uses Randall Cobb.

I agree! We are forgetting, Hunter is coming back and he is a bonified #2 back. With the playmaking ability of LMJ, the 49ers will look at every way possible to get him on the field and I see in the slot quite a bit this upcoming season. There are A LOT of playmakers on this team. It's a great problem to have but what isn't on this team is a guy like Patterson. Crabtree is physical and elusive but not as fast, Boldin is physical but not quick, Davis is fast but not elusive and not as physical as he should be, Patterson is all of the above! I haven't wanted a WR to be a 49er this bad since the draft we got Crabs..as fun as it is to watch Crabs with the ball in his hand, wait until CP gets a feel for the league...ELECTRIFYING
Share 49ersWebzone