LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

This is a bit of a tough one. I think Tavon Austin is definitely the safer pick.

On one hand you have a guy with massive production, but he's only 5'9 and thus you'll never just be able to throw the ball up to him. Much harder for the quarterback to hit a 5'9 guy than it is to deliver the ball to a guy that is 6'3.

On the other hand you have a guy who only played one year of D1 ball and had a decent year as a wide receiver. He's much more raw and needs to work on his route running. However, he may have a little more upside than Austin because he is a much bigger target. The 49ers I'd assume would prefer a bigger wide receiver who is more of a redzone threat, as we already have some quick smaller slot guys.

They are both versatile as hell. Tavon Austin is much more ready to play wide receiver in the NFL right now and is the much safer pick. However, Patterson might have more upside because of his size and the 49ers could use a taller receiver. If we already had a guy that was 6'2 plus and who could stretch the field, It'd be a no brainer and I'd go Austin. The only guy we have that is big and can stretch the field is Lockette and he's unproven . So this would be a tough one.
Originally posted by SkyGod:

I just wish Austin was 5-6 inches taller and about 45 lbs heavier in build that would be just perfect with those explosive playmaking skills.

It's unlikely he would still possess his explosiveness if he was that much bigger than he is now.
Originally posted by buck:
Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

You prefer a one year wonder because he is taller and heavier than the midget.

Baalke has said that medical records, personality and game tape are the most important considerations when evaluating a player.

In his one year at Tennessee, Patterson played against three schools that are not in the SEC, schools that I believe are in the FCS.
If we compare Patterson's work as a receiver against those three schools (Georgia St, Troy, and Akron) with his same work against three of the top SEC schools (Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi St)

Non SEC schools --- 14 receptions for 310 yards and 1 score
3 Top SEC schools-- 5 receptions for 80 yards and 1 score.

Georgia-- 2 receptions for 31 yards and 0 scores
Alabama--1 reception for 24 yards and 0 scores
Miss St--- 2 receptions for 25 yards and 1 score.

I think the midget is a better option.

He's not a midget! Just vertically challenged! Lol!
Originally posted by Rascal:
I don't disagree with that especially with his amazing return game. But, to get Patterson, the 9ers will need to go all out to be able to get it done. It is pretty much guaranteed that he will be gone by the 10th pick. You have to be all in with such a move, is like mortaging your house on it.

There's NO way the Patterson is gone by the 10th pick. He'll drop down to the RAMS second pick or the Vikings. I say the Vikings take him with one of their two 1st rounders for sure.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
I don't disagree with that especially with his amazing return game. But, to get Patterson, the 9ers will need to go all out to be able to get it done. It is pretty much guaranteed that he will be gone by the 10th pick. You have to be all in with such a move, is like mortaging your house on it.

There's NO way the Patterson is gone by the 10th pick. He'll drop down to the RAMS second pick or the Vikings. I say the Vikings take him with one of their two 1st rounders for sure.

Right, right, that reply was a while back. He will be gone in the late teens and early 20s. Actually, the fact that his stock has dropped, he will be quite close to Justin Hunter's zone especially given Hunter's stock has been on the rise.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerfan81:
He's not a midget! Just vertically challenged! Lol!

Very good.
well we aren't taking either one so why discuss it? we might as well discuss if Geno or E.J. fit our offense better
tavon austin is a dynamic explosive playmaker.

need or not this guy is worth trading up for. but i think the coaching staff gives jenkins one more year to prove himself
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RealShaloop:
tavon austin is a dynamic explosive playmaker.

need or not this guy is worth trading up for. but i think the coaching staff gives jenkins one more year to prove himself

Nah, Tavon Austin is predicted to go as high as 8th. It will cost us the house, the car, the wife, the kids and the dog to be able to move up that high to get him. But, Patterson is dropping though. To stand a chance for either Cordarrelle Patterson or Justin Hunter, you will need to go before the mid-teens gautlet starts. We will have to be 15th before the Rams.

As for Jenkins, it will be up to him to perform in training camp and the preseason games, if he still can't cut it then as in beating out Riacrdo, Chad and Marlon, I am afraid it will be as good as game over for him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Nah, Tavon Austin is predicted to go as high as 8th. It will cost us the house, the car, the wife, the kids and the dog to be able to move up that high to get him.

I'd keep the dog, but all the rest.....

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Nah, Tavon Austin is predicted to go as high as 8th. It will cost us the house, the car, the wife, the kids and the dog to be able to move up that high to get him.

Yea, I have 2 dogs myself, they stay no matter what !!
It's apples and oranges...Austin's a smallish slot receiver and KR. Patterson's more of a big-play WR w/size. Who's more valuable...hard to say, but based on size and big-play ability, I'd lean toward Patterson. Just think he's potentially got a longer career ahead of him.

How far can we move up for just the wife?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

How far can we move up for just the wife?

Not enough, the wife isn't worth much. LOL.
Share 49ersWebzone