LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Source: Jon Gruden to be hired by Cleveland in 2011

Shop 49ers game tickets
Damon Bruce said on KNBR today that he has a very reliable source that says Gruden has agreed to go to the Cleveland Browns next year and work under Holmgrin. Gruden is an Ohio guy, and according to Bruce is compiling a coaching staff right now. Bruce also mentioned that Mangini right now is just "holding the seat for Jon Gruden.

Please don't lock this thread. Bruce is a credible journalist and he wouldn't say that kind of thing over the radio if it wasn't true. I think all mention of hiring Gruden can be directed to this thread for relevant information.

I know other zoners heard the same report.

[ Edited by global_nomad on Oct 24, 2010 at 20:10:08 ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Damon Bruce said on KNBR today that he has a very reliable source that says Gruden has agreed to go to the Cleveland Browns next year and work under Holmgrin. Gruden is an Ohio guy, and according to Bruce is compiling a coaching staff right now. Bruce also mentioned that Mangini right now is just "holding the seat for Jon Gruden.

Please don't lock this thread. Bruce is a credible journalist and he wouldn't say that kind of thing over the radio if it wasn't true. I think all mention of hiring Gruden can be directed to this thread for relevant information.

I know other zoners heard the same report.

Meh..

I'd rather have Harbaugh anyways. Especially if we end up with the 1st pick as that would play a HUGE part in Andrew Luck deciding to come out early..
Don't want Harbaugh. He's not the proven NFL OC/HC that we need.
Originally posted by teeohh:

This.... nobody will want to work for us so we will be stuck with Billeck or a college coach like Harbaugh who I might want anyways. Dungy and Cowher will probably want to go else where...

Edit: I like Billeck and he is a good guy and a decent coach but I just don't see him being more than a 8-8, 9-7 coach.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 24, 2010 at 20:14:48 ]
I could see Alex Smith as their QB. Gruden is a a fan.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
I could see Alex Smith as their QB. Gruden is a a fan.

McCoy could be ready by then. or wallace isn't too bad, he's been in the WCO system for a while.
No biggie.

Plan A:
My dream hire will be Bill Parcells. Give him the same football czar role as in Miami. He managed to groom a TE's coach into a HC (Tony Sparano). Parcells connections around the league are deep. He could find some "no-name" coach and surprise us all with results.

Plan B:
Hire Bill Cowher and give him complete control just like the Yorks gave Mike Nolan.

Just on a side note would anyone want Mangini as the new DC?

[ Edited by fanmusclecars on Oct 24, 2010 at 20:27:01 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
This is not surprising. Holmgren gave Gruden his 1st NFL job then took him to GB with him. I said this before, Cleveland has a better shot then we do at Chucky, partially due to the Holmgren connection and partially due to the fact that Gruden was born and raised (for part of his childhood) in Ohio (and grew up a Browns fan).
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Bruce is a credible journalist

No he isn't.

Originally posted by PaulW:

No he isn't.

he wouldn't share that kind of information over the air if it wasn't a foregone conclusion, that's my point.
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PaulW:

No he isn't.

he wouldn't share that kind of information over the air if it wasn't a foregone conclusion, that's my point.
What makes you think that? The guy is basically a troll, just as bad as Skip Bayless and Tim Kawakami. He is still the only source that mentioned a drinking problem as part of McCloughans departure, if there was any truth to that it would have been reported all over the place not by 1 source that has a knack of saying things just to get attention.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by teeohh:

This.... nobody will want to work for us so we will be stuck with Billeck or a college coach like Harbaugh who I might want anyways. Dungy and Cowher will probably want to go else where...

Edit: I like Billeck and he is a good guy and a decent coach but I just don't see him being more than a 8-8, 9-7 coach.

f**k it at this point we might as well take Billick. He atleast has won a superbowl before and he's been a good OC. His offense in BMore sucked pretty badly but he did build a dominant defense there. Maybe see if we can trade for an Orton or a Kolb, draft Patrick Peterson, switch to a 4-3, and try to build a dominant D? IDK I wanted an offensive coach at first but it seems like we have no shot at any of the proven ones, atleast Billick has called a succesful offense before while in MN.
According to Wikipedia, the Browns are his favorite team.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
According to Wikipedia, the Browns are his favorite team.

as mentioned before he is an Ohio guy, born and raised.
Share 49ersWebzone