LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

Mr. McCluster in the 2nd...more like first now.

I think by adding him we would instantly be a playoff caliber team with this kid. He would be our Percy Harvin. He will stretch the field in everyway imaginable. He would be perfect in the second round. If you think he will make it to the third you are sadly mistaken. I wouldn't be suprised if some one took him in the first. I just know that this kid will add that dynamic that has been lacking from this team for a very long time.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:26 PM ]
How would he do all that? He would get maybe 10 touches a game. He is a talented runner but not what we need. We need a bruiser at RB to punish defenses in short yardage. I wouldnt take carries from Gore to give to McCluster, thats for sure.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
How would he do all that? He would get maybe 10 touches a game. He is a talented runner but not what we need. We need a bruiser at RB to punish defenses in short yardage. I wouldnt take carries from Gore to give to McCluster, thats for sure.

Umm ok. He is exactly what Percy Harvin is. Last time I checked Harvin runs, catches and is thier KR/PR.
He's like Darren Sproles i think in the spread he could be deadly
his stock probably climbed big time after a good game today

i wouldnt mind having him maybe he could even return kicks we need a KR/PR BAD!!!
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

Umm ok. He is exactly what Percy Harvin is. Last time I checked Harvin runs, catches and is thier KR/PR.

Ok, and what is that supposed to mean? Last I checked Minn has 0 SB trophies. I dont want to model my team after that. We have Gore, Crabtree and Davis. How many weapons do you think an offense needs to be successful? We have the #1 triple threat in the NFL IMHO.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
i'd be fine with McCluster or DeVine (if he declares) in the 2nd.

Depending on how the 1st shakes out obviously.

Harvin (5'11", 192) is actually much bigger than McCluster (5'9", 170) and is an every down player, unlike McCluster who projects to be more of a special-teamer/wildcat/slot WR type of player. Now, if he was a pure WR prospect like Desean Jackson was at Cal, he could definitely be an every-down WR...but I'm not sure McCluster has the receiving skills/abilities that Jackson had coming into the draft.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Harvin (5'11", 192) is actually much bigger than McCluster (5'9", 170) and is an every down player, unlike McCluster who projects to be more of a special-teamer/wildcat/slot WR type of player. Now, if he was a pure WR prospect like Desean Jackson was at Cal, he could definitely be an every-down WR...but I'm not sure McCluster has the receiving skills/abilities that Jackson had coming into the draft.

I agree, he doesnt project well to the NFL. Like I said earlier he gets maybe 10 touches a game.

I agree, he doesnt project well to the NFL. Like I said earlier he gets maybe 10 touches a game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like McCluster and wouldn't mind having him, I just don't see him as a 1st rounder by any stretch...possibly/likely a 2nd rounder and absolutely positively a 3rd rounder.

I see him more like a Hester type of player. He will return kicks and punts and 7-10 offensive touches a game. Playmakers win games. We need team speed and he adds it in every phase of the game besides defense.

Don't get me wrong, I really like McCluster and wouldn't mind having him, I just don't see him as a 1st rounder by any stretch...possibly/likely a 2nd rounder and absolutely positively a 3rd rounder.

No doubt the kid is a talented runner as i said before. But he is another project player and a luxory pick. A luxory we dont have IMO.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He's got speed and we need that on PR/KR. I'd take a flier on him in the 3rd.

No doubt the kid is a talented runner as i said before. But he is another project player and a luxory pick. A luxory we dont have IMO.

Luxury pick? LOL. Our biggest hole is a KR/PR and he does both and is great at it. How is that a luxury pick?
I love how this board overreacts to a single game.

...altho I've been saying McCluster is a better bang for the buck than taking Spiller in the first.

I think he can be had in the 3rd round given his lack of size. I like the guy but a 2nd is too early imo for him(unless we trade down)

another guy is Noel Devine - fast as heck and a playmaker but doesn't have the size to be an every down guy.
Originally posted by genus49:
I love how this board overreacts to a single game.

...altho I've been saying McCluster is a better bang for the buck than taking Spiller in the first.

I think he can be had in the 3rd round given his lack of size. I like the guy but a 2nd is too early imo for him(unless we trade down)

another guy is Noel Devine - fast as heck and a playmaker but doesn't have the size to be an every down guy.

Single game. McCluster has been on people's radar for along time now. He WAS a third rounder before today but the more publicity this kid gets the more his stock will rise.
Share 49ersWebzone