LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Mr. McCluster in the 2nd...more like first now.

Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
How would he do all that? He would get maybe 10 touches a game. He is a talented runner but not what we need. We need a bruiser at RB to punish defenses in short yardage. I wouldnt take carries from Gore to give to McCluster, thats for sure.

Umm ok. He is exactly what Percy Harvin is. Last time I checked Harvin runs, catches and is thier KR/PR.

Harvin (5'11", 192) is actually much bigger than McCluster (5'9", 170) and is an every down player, unlike McCluster who projects to be more of a special-teamer/wildcat/slot WR type of player. Now, if he was a pure WR prospect like Desean Jackson was at Cal, he could definitely be an every-down WR...but I'm not sure McCluster has the receiving skills/abilities that Jackson had coming into the draft.

I agree, he doesnt project well to the NFL. Like I said earlier he gets maybe 10 touches a game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like McCluster and wouldn't mind having him, I just don't see him as a 1st rounder by any stretch...possibly/likely a 2nd rounder and absolutely positively a 3rd rounder.

No doubt the kid is a talented runner as i said before. But he is another project player and a luxory pick. A luxory we dont have IMO.

Here's where we disagree...I think McCluster and guys like him are much more than a luxury pick. Our inability to make ANY plays on special teams and our overall lack of speed on offense is a major weakness, and needs to be addressed this off-season.

I also don't think McCluster specifically is a project, mainly because he (and guys like Brandon James, Trindon Holliday, Tim Brown, Javier Arenas, etc.) can come in right away and make an impact on your team, either as a kick returner, punt returner or both. You can even draw up a package of plays (2-5 plays a game) for guys like these (except Arenas, who can help by being a slot corner initially), so it's not like you need to wait a few years before you can get something from them.

The issue is, are they really every-down type of players...if not, can you really afford to use a 1st or even a 2nd rounder on them, or does it make more sense to wait until the later rounds to grab someone like this?
How would he do all that? He would get maybe 10 touches a game. He is a talented runner but not what we need. We need a bruiser at RB to punish defenses in short yardage. I wouldnt take carries from Gore to give to McCluster, thats for sure.

Umm ok. He is exactly what Percy Harvin is. Last time I checked Harvin runs, catches and is thier KR/PR.

Harvin (5'11", 192) is actually much bigger than McCluster (5'9", 170) and is an every down player, unlike McCluster who projects to be more of a special-teamer/wildcat/slot WR type of player. Now, if he was a pure WR prospect like Desean Jackson was at Cal, he could definitely be an every-down WR...but I'm not sure McCluster has the receiving skills/abilities that Jackson had coming into the draft.

I agree, he doesnt project well to the NFL. Like I said earlier he gets maybe 10 touches a game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like McCluster and wouldn't mind having him, I just don't see him as a 1st rounder by any stretch...possibly/likely a 2nd rounder and absolutely positively a 3rd rounder.

No doubt the kid is a talented runner as i said before. But he is another project player and a luxory pick. A luxory we dont have IMO.

Luxury pick? LOL. Our biggest hole is a KR/PR and he does both and is great at it. How is that a luxury pick?

Our biggest hole is RT,LG,RG,OLB ahead of KR/PR.

And what makes you think McCluster is a good returner anyways> Cause he is fast?

PUNT RETURNS g no. yards td long avg/r avg/g
2006 6 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
2007 8 6 29 0 19 4.8 3.6
2008 13 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
2009 11 2 28 14.0
TOTAL 27 6 29 0 19 4.8 1.1

KICK RETURNS g no. yards td long avg/r avg/g
2006 6 13 274 0 39 21.1 45.7
2007 8 6 100 0 33 16.7 12.5
2008 13 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
2009 00000000000000000
TOTAL 27 19 374 0 39 19.7 13.9

He has 2 punt returns in 09 for 28yds and 0 KR.

Now he is supposed to be a great returner why exactly?

If its our number one hole, wouldnt you want to fill it with a real return man?
[ Edited by MadMartz on Jan 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
I love how this board overreacts to a single game.

...altho I've been saying McCluster is a better bang for the buck than taking Spiller in the first.

I think he can be had in the 3rd round given his lack of size. I like the guy but a 2nd is too early imo for him(unless we trade down)

another guy is Noel Devine - fast as heck and a playmaker but doesn't have the size to be an every down guy.

Single game. McCluster has been on people's radar for along time now. He WAS a third rounder before today but the more publicity this kid gets the more his stock will rise.

Maybe he's been on their radar but people have been riding Spiller's jock. Fact is McCluster has been doing this for a while now. Just because he had a good bowl game doesn't push him up a whole round.
^^ In all fairness, the best special teamer in the NFL right now (Josh Cribbs) didn't return kicks or punts in his college career, but anyone who saw him run could tell that he was dangerous with the ball in his hands.

McCluster hasn't done much returning of kicks or punts at Ole' Miss, but I'd bet good money that whoever drafts him will immediately give him one or both jobs.
^^ In all fairness, the best special teamer in the NFL right now (Josh Cribbs) didn't return kicks or punts in his college career, but anyone who saw him run could tell that he was dangerous with the ball in his hands.

McCluster hasn't done much returning of kicks or punts at Ole' Miss, but I'd bet good money that whoever drafts him will immediately give him one or both jobs.

Again I`ll pass, he is a project player and a luxory pick.
McCluster is a good utility player, but the difference between him and Sproles is bulk. Mcluster is tiny in multiple ways, and I see a lack of strength being a serious concern on returns with NFL players trying to rip the ball away from him.

I agree with this. Guy runs with good vision and is obviously quick with the ball in his hands. They probably didn't have him on special teams because they needed him to run the ball.

With Frank Gore at running back, I'd feel pretty good letting McCluster returning for us.

I agree with this. Guy runs with good vision and is obviously quick with the ball in his hands. They probably didn't have him on special teams because they needed him to run the ball.

With Frank Gore at running back, I'd feel pretty good letting McCluster returning for us.

But what if he cant do it? Why take a chance is my stance! There are much better return men to be drafted.

But what if he cant do it? Why take a chance is my stance! There are much better return men to be drafted.

And we do not possess that luxury of taking such a risk on day one, or even early day two. If we really want to take a guy who might be able to return kicks and has speed -- Go after Easley of UConn -- at least he could have the possibility of developing into a fine receiver (I expect him to be this year's "Mike Wallace").

Drafting isn't an exact science. Just because a guy has been returning in college doesn't mean he'll be a great return guy.

I don't care who we take but we badly need a return guy. McCluster also offers a guy who can be a threat in the running game or the passing game. So if you're going to take a return man you may as well get a guy who can help your offense or defense. McCluster can help the offense(same reason people are blowing their wad over Spiller)

I also don't want him in the 2nd round I think that's way too early.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

And we do not possess that luxury of taking such a risk on day one, or even early day two. If we really want to take a guy who might be able to return kicks and has speed -- Go after Easley of UConn -- at least he could have the possibility of developing into a fine receiver (I expect him to be this year's "Mike Wallace").

Thats what I have been trying to tell these guys. But they watch the cotton bowl today and the guy is superman all of a sudden.

Drafting isn't an exact science. Just because a guy has been returning in college doesn't mean he'll be a great return guy.

I don't care who we take but we badly need a return guy. McCluster also offers a guy who can be a threat in the running game or the passing game. So if you're going to take a return man you may as well get a guy who can help your offense or defense. McCluster can help the offense(same reason people are blowing their wad over Spiller)

I also don't want him in the 2nd round I think that's way too early.

And drafting a guy who doesnt return kicks in cillege almost certainly means he wont be a great return guy.
I love how this board overreacts to a single game.

...altho I've been saying McCluster is a better bang for the buck than taking Spiller in the first.

I think he can be had in the 3rd round given his lack of size. I like the guy but a 2nd is too early imo for him(unless we trade down)

another guy is Noel Devine - fast as heck and a playmaker but doesn't have the size to be an every down guy.

Single game. McCluster has been on people's radar for along time now. He WAS a third rounder before today but the more publicity this kid gets the more his stock will rise.

Maybe he's been on their radar but people have been riding Spiller's jock. Fact is McCluster has been doing this for a while now. Just because he had a good bowl game doesn't push him up a whole round.

I didn't say this game. I'm saying the more publicity he gets, ehich will be alot before the draft. Primarily the Senior Bowl and Combine.
LOL. The kid is an explosive KR/PR and is faster than Sproles. Ole Miss doesn't use him much in that aspect cause of his importance to thier every down offense. He is explosive which is something we need in the return game and on offense. Thier is no arguement to his abilities and durability is not an issue he had 32 carries today. Come draft time he will be a second rounder. I called the rise of Raji last year and I'm calling the rise of McCluster this year.
LOL. The kid is an explosive KR/PR and is faster than Sproles. Ole Miss doesn't use him much in that aspect cause of his importance to thier every down offense. He is explosive which is something we need in the return game and on offense. Thier is no arguement to his abilities and durability is not an issue he had 32 carries today. Come draft time he will be a second rounder. I called the rise of Raji last year and I'm calling the rise of McCluster this year.

Ok scout!
Share 49ersWebzone