LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Where are all the Lakers fans? Or do you guys only post when your team is good? At least they are playing hard tonight.

Haven't missed a single minute of any Laker game in over 8 years. But here you are again, questioning peoples fandom. I get it. It's what you do. GFY

Just wondered why there wasnt one post during the entire game by a Lakers fan. Just an observation. You sensitive?

Don't play dumb. I know it's hard, but try.

LOL.

Stoney... I know you are a good Laker fan and its tough seeing them decline like this. I know you post all the time.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM ]
I'll admit, this year I haven't been as attuned to the Lakers as a normally am, but it has nothing to do with their record. In trying to build up my HS program, I have a MUCH busier schedule this year between practices, games, fundraising, study hall, individual workouts, etc. than last year. It's hard spending 4-5 hours a day on basketball related stuff, and then coming home and saying, "sorry, honey...gotta watch the game."

Most of the games I've caught this year have been with one eye open as I fall asleep, on the DVR.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'll admit, this year I haven't been as attuned to the Lakers as a normally am, but it has nothing to do with their record. In trying to build up my HS program, I have a MUCH busier schedule this year between practices, games, fundraising, study hall, individual workouts, etc. than last year. It's hard spending 4-5 hours a day on basketball related stuff, and then coming home and saying, "sorry, honey...gotta watch the game."

Most of the games I've caught this year have been with one eye open as I fall asleep, on the DVR.

I applaud this Pete

Sheeeyit. Like I'm not enjoying every second of it. But thanks though.

Good for you Pete. Obviously your HS program and what you do is way more important.

Since I consider you to be by far the most knowledgeable basketball guy in here I would love to hear what you would do if you were running the Lakers. Personally, I think they should blow the team up and try to move Gasol, Artest, Nash, and Howard. Thoughts? What about the unspeakable and trading Kobe? I dont know if its even possible to move these guys.

Its kind of a catch 22. On the one hand I think for the future of the organization they need to take some drastic steps. On the other hand, it might allienate their fan base if they put up the white flag on this season.
the past part of this thread so far is seeing how defensive stoney always gets

oh well, there's always next year. this team had a good run, thank you for everything kobe!
Good for you Pete. Obviously your HS program and what you do is way more important.

Since I consider you to be by far the most knowledgeable basketball guy in here I would love to hear what you would do if you were running the Lakers. Personally, I think they should blow the team up and try to move Gasol, Artest, Nash, and Howard. Thoughts? What about the unspeakable and trading Kobe? I dont know if its even possible to move these guys.

Its kind of a catch 22. On the one hand I think for the future of the organization they need to take some drastic steps. On the other hand, it might allienate their fan base if they put up the white flag on this season.

The unspoken part of this not so Super Team that's been assembled is that everyone but Nash is off of the books in two years, and even he would be a tradable, expiring contract that summer. The 2014 plan is to have a re-signed Dwight + a ton of cap space, with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, & Luol Deng on the free agent market. The problem with blowing up the team right now is that we don't own many of our own draft picks, and guys like Gasol (and perhaps Artest) have negative trade value.

Personally, I would explore minor deals to improve the athleticism on the squad, specifically at the SF position, and wait to make a bigger move until this offseason. Reason being, at that point virtually everyone becomes an expiring contract. A guy like Gasol will be a lot more valuable on the trade market in 6 months than he is now, because he's a $19M expiring k.

What the Lakers will do this offseason (aside from trying to re-sign Dwight) is going to hinge greatly on how confident they feel about LeBron coming to LA in 2014. I they feel they have a legit shot at him, you're not going to see the expiring contracts be traded for anything more than picks, cheap young players, and other expiring contracts, because they'll want to preserve the necessary cap space it would take to sign him. If they don't feel confident about him coming, I think you'll see the Lakers use those expiring contracts to try to acquire good players around Dwight via trade that have worn out their welcome with their present team. (much like how the Lakers acquired Gasol in '08) I think you'll also see them try to bring back Kobe at a cheaper price, if he's still willing & capable. Kobe is extremely difficult to trade because of his no-trade clause. He won't want to go somewhere that isn't a contender, and the Lakers will want something very significant in return for him.

But the future hinges on what they think their chances of getting LeBron are, IMO.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jan 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
lol

Originally posted by schmons:
lol

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
the past part of this thread so far is seeing how defensive stoney always gets

oh well, there's always next year. this team had a good run, thank you for everything kobe!

Bagging on the team is one thing, because they suck. Not much to argue there. But don't question my fanhood.
Lakers @ spurs starting right now. Hard to imagine the Lakers pulling this one off. Therefore, I will put the fate of the team on my own shoulders. I will do the opposite of everything I normally do to not jinx it. Gold Kobe 24 jersey I never wear because they always lose, wearing it. Drinking from one of my Lakers pint glasses that are usually jinxers. Haven't bothered to not touch anything Lakers on game day, which I normally never do. When shots go up, I shall call "Money" or whatever before the shot gets to the rim.

It's all on me, boys. I'm gonna be the Black Jinx Mamba tonight.

The unspoken part of this not so Super Team that's been assembled is that everyone but Nash is off of the books in two years, and even he would be a tradable, expiring contract that summer. The 2014 plan is to have a re-signed Dwight + a ton of cap space, with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Carmelo Anthony, Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, & Luol Deng on the free agent market. The problem with blowing up the team right now is that we don't own many of our own draft picks, and guys like Gasol (and perhaps Artest) have negative trade value.

Personally, I would explore minor deals to improve the athleticism on the squad, specifically at the SF position, and wait to make a bigger move until this offseason. Reason being, at that point virtually everyone becomes an expiring contract. A guy like Gasol will be a lot more valuable on the trade market in 6 months than he is now, because he's a $19M expiring k.

What the Lakers will do this offseason (aside from trying to re-sign Dwight) is going to hinge greatly on how confident they feel about LeBron coming to LA in 2014. I they feel they have a legit shot at him, you're not going to see the expiring contracts be traded for anything more than picks, cheap young players, and other expiring contracts, because they'll want to preserve the necessary cap space it would take to sign him. If they don't feel confident about him coming, I think you'll see the Lakers use those expiring contracts to try to acquire good players around Dwight via trade that have worn out their welcome with their present team. (much like how the Lakers acquired Gasol in '08) I think you'll also see them try to bring back Kobe at a cheaper price, if he's still willing & capable. Kobe is extremely difficult to trade because of his no-trade clause. He won't want to go somewhere that isn't a contender, and the Lakers will want something very significant in return for him.

But the future hinges on what they think their chances of getting LeBron are, IMO.

I think there are 2 questions that come immediately to mind:
1) Will Howard really want to come back to this mess if he really doesnt get along with Kobe. I doubt it myself.
2) Why would Lebron really want to leave Miami if they are winning and happy. Just because its the Lakers? He wont have a young Kobe to pair with

I think the Lakers are in for tough times myself but we shall see.
Man, I like Earl Clark. Give this kid some run. He deserves more minutes.

I liked him coming out of college. He just has been pretty disappointing in the NBA so far but he does have skills for sure.
Swagger Sacre

I liked him coming out of college. He just has been pretty disappointing in the NBA so far but he does have skills for sure.

Yeah, I've seen flashes of skills, but he's inconsistent.
Share 49ersWebzone