There are 205 users in the forums

Pacquiao vs. Marquez (November 12, 2011)

[ Edited by solidg2000 on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:14 AM ]
Quote:
Pacquiao's coach, Freddie Roach, said the third fight may be the closest in the trilogy.

"Manny won the last two rounds, and I thought it was going to end up a draw," he said.
Sounds like he knows he won right...
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Nov 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM ]
JMM was the CHALLENGER. He needed to do something that was very convincing (KO, TKO, win at least 8 rounds, etc.) to take the title away from Manny. He didn't, and that's why he lost.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
JMM was the CHALLENGER. He needed to do something that was very convincing (KO, TKO, win at least 8 rounds, etc.) to take the title away from Manny. He didn't, and that's why he lost.

Agreed. I think it should've ended up a draw
He threw more punches and landed more punches. Don't understand why people are crying over this.

That's like saying if the 49ers beat an undefeated Packers 24-21 at GB in the NFC championship game, yet the packers go to the Super Bowl because the challengers (49ers) didn't win by at least 7
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Marquez was ineffective. He simply couldn't finish. Became hard to watch him in the final few rounds.

Just because he did better than many thought he would does not mean he won. He lost. He faded. Weak punches aren't convincing.

Not true, Manny stepped it up after losing 5 straight round (could have been 6 if you gave round 2 to JMM for his 45 seconds of strong boxing) and fought aggressively, like he should've throughout the fight. Round 11 could've gone to JMM, no way he faded in that round, he was matching manny punch-for-punch that round

I don't agree. But even if I did... that's a lot of "should've" and "could've" for a guy who wanted to be a champion.

Marquez failed to prove he was the undisputed winner. That's what guys who want to take the belt have to do. Incumbent champions don't have that burden. Marquez was outclassed from the 8th-12th. Marquez's footwork went from superb, to average to atrocious. This left him with embarrassingly weak punches, which never really threatened Manny.

Manny unloaded when he connected. That's why he rightfully earned this victory. Marquez put forth a better than expected effort. Just not a winning effort.

Quick question: Do you think if the fight was brought down to 140 catchweight that Matquez wouldn't had gotten tired by the last few rounds? A buddy of mine was yelling that Marquez would've won @ a lighter weight b/c his endurance would've been higher with less body mass, so curious in your opinion since you say Marquez died out in the end.

Sure, it's possible. But Manny has more power than Marquez at any weight. Marquez lost this fight because he was outworked. The stats bear this out. At a lower weight class Marquez might have been more convincing. But that is just conjecture.
Quick question: Do you think if the fight was brought down to 140 catchweight that Matquez wouldn't had gotten tired by the last few rounds? A buddy of mine was yelling that Marquez would've won @ a lighter weight b/c his endurance would've been higher with less body mass, so curious in your opinion since you say Marquez died out in the end.

I think the larger problem was that Marquez's corner was telling him that he was winning the fight and just don't get knocked out.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

That's like saying if the 49ers beat an undefeated Packers 24-21 at GB in the NFC championship game, yet the packers go to the Super Bowl because the challengers (49ers) didn't win by at least 7
If it was the other way around, f**k I'd love that rule, it would totally piss off the Cheeseheads
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on Nov 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
He threw more punches and landed more punches. Don't understand why people are crying over this.

It's a victory he fought well against Manny , so they feel like they won!

Originally posted by solidg2000:

With all due respect, using football as an analogy isn't the same. With football you have a final score: It's difinitive. In boxing, without a KO or a TKO, you're leaving your fate in the hands of people's opinions (judge's scorecards). JMM should have attacked more and should have KO'd Manny if he expected to sniff a win.
Manny was crying after the 12th

nuff said

He knew he lost and they gave it to him because he's the cash cow.

I'm actually dissapointed. I expect alot better from Manny.

Now that pha*ggot FLoyd will say that he ''dominated'' Marquez, a guy that Manny can't beat.

Maybe

JUST MAYBE

Manny took it easy and look wack to lure the running man Floyd into the ring.

This way, the real Manny can always fight and beat Marquez again, and lure PBF into a fight and finally retire and become gov.

Either way, that was the worst I've seen Manny since Morales busted him.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

nuff said

Now that pha*ggot FLoyd will say that he ''dominated'' Marquez, a guy that Manny can't beat.

Maybe

JUST MAYBE

This way, the real Manny can always fight and beat Marquez again, and lure PBF into a fight and finally retire and become gov.

100% agree

nuff said

Maybe

JUST MAYBE

100% agree
MONEY!
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:

nuff said

Maybe

JUST MAYBE

100% agree
MONEY!

I hope it means that

On a side note, I've been reading this analysis by a few boxing writers and have come to a decision: it's not that JMM won the fight that ppl are upset, it's b/c Manny wasn't "Superman" to a guy PBF schooled a few years back. I understand, even though I saw Manny winning the bout, I was disgusted with his overall performance. He looked slow and lost, not like his previous fights. Last time he looked like this? Marquez II and Morales I, which showed he fought like an inexperienced fighter rather than the best fighter in the world.

It's that fact that leads me to believe that after this fight, Manny will drop from #1 P4P to #2, and PBF will be placed @ the #1 P4P, which will help make the fight we all want. PBF can flex his ego and will feel he can cement his legacy by fighting a slowed down manny who got frustrated by a counterpuncher. It hurts, but PBF deserves it this week. But, we'll see how long he can hold onto it once he finally gets into the right vs Manny
Share 49ersWebzone