LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Alex Smith, and it's not even close.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
In terms of dominating their sports statistical categories, I don't think anyone touches what Gretzky accomplished.

I think Jerry does, especially relative to his era.

Yeah maybe, but if you look at points created, Wayne Gretzky is at 2,857, nearly 1,000 more than the # 2 guy on the list. That's 44% more points created than every other surefire HOFer in hockey history.

That's the most impressive record in sports, IMO.
[ Edited by TheSixthRing on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:09 AM ]
There is no athlete that ever dominated his sport with stats far and above the rest of his competitors like Babe Ruth.

* Lead league in HRS 12 times
* Lead league in slugging 13 times
* lead league in OPS 13 times

Hit 54 homers. Only ONE TEAM in baseball hit more and Ruth hit more than the
2nd, 3rd, and 4th guys combined

Hit 59 homers - 11 more than the 2nd and 3rd combined

When you combine these numbers with the fact that he was also a dominant
pitcher (1916 23-12 with 9 shutouts) before he converted to full time OF there is
simply no doubt he is the most dominant athlete ever. Not MJ, not Gretsky... its Babe Ruth. He also would have carved Joey Chestnut too. LOL
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Alex Smith, and it's not even close.

The most intelligent indecisive athlete maybe...
In terms of dominating their sports statistical categories, I don't think anyone touches what Gretzky accomplished.

Yeah maybe, but if you look at points created, Wayne Gretzky is at 2,857, nearly 1,000 more than the # 2 guy on the list. That's 44% more points created than every other surefire HOFer in hockey history.

Good point. It's a little harder to make a similar comparison in football, because it's harder for a receiver to score than an RB. And the game is much more centered around the pass than it was in Rice's heyday. That's not to say that Gretzky's accomplishments aren't more impressive, I just think there were other mitigating factors with Rice.

Good point. It's a little harder to make a similar comparison in football, because it's harder for a receiver to score than an RB. And the game is much more centered around the pass than it was in Rice's heyday. That's not to say that Gretzky's accomplishments aren't more impressive, I just think there were other mitigating factors with Rice.

You're right. It's nearly impossible to compare - opportunities to score in hockey are more abundant than they are in football, but skating around on ice with a giant stick in one's hand is probably more difficult than to run on grass in cleats.

Both are legends in their sport (hell, everyone in this poll is a legend in their sport) and I'm happy to leave it at that. I don't need to have a definitive # 1.
Secretariat.

Case closed
Hercules
BTW, I voted Michael Jordan anyway. Gotta keep that legend growing, like the grotesque, out-of-control monster it is.

You're right. It's nearly impossible to compare - opportunities to score in hockey are more abundant than they are in football, but skating around on ice with a giant stick in one's hand is probably more difficult than to run on grass in cleats.

Both are legends in their sport (hell, everyone in this poll is a legend in their sport) and I'm happy to leave it at that. I don't need to have a definitive # 1.

Yeah, exactly. I'm not even sure HOW you would compare say...Babe Ruth and Wayne Gretzky.

From a deductive standpoint, the "greatest" athlete of all-time is probably a soccer player, based on the sheer number of athletes who have played the sport. It's the only major sport (aside from cricket) that's had a massive global appeal (and corresponding talent base) for a very, very long time.

• dman
  • Veteran
Jim Brown
BTW, I voted Michael Jordan anyway. Gotta keep that legend growing, like the grotesque, out-of-control monster it is.

Me too.
  • dman
  • Veteran

Me too.

Its crazy how is legend has actually surpassed what he did on the court ... considering he did a hell of a lot on the court.
Rasheed wasn't on the Celtics when they won a few years ago...your credibility is shot now

/thread

Me too.

Love, Hate, Love
Share 49ersWebzone