There are 255 users in the forums

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by BobS:
Why are you not including track and field athletes or more multiple sports athletes?
I am going to vote for Jim Thorpe, look him up. I know early athletes get no respect around here, other than Babe Ruth. What about someone like Edwin Moses, he won over 100 straight 400 meter hurdle finals spanning over 10 years? Bruce Jenner?
Set a record for most decathlon points?

In the track & field sports, it's hard to vote for people who participate in timed events, because their times have been eclipsed by a wide margin. There aren't too many T&F events where the record time isn't less than 15 years old.

But after that he played professional football, baseball, and basketball.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dino:

He's got nothing on this guy
Julio Cesar Chavez
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
black jack johnson

He was a major pioneer breaking into the white man's world. But he doesn't belong on any all time great athlete lists.
Adam Morrison willed the Laker team to win two straight NBA titles while stoned so he gets it
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Today is a sad day for me. I really thought you guys would be realistic here.

I see some of you naming Gretsky? Comeon! or calling for Bo Jackson? whas he ever the best at either sport?

Babe Ruth is a legend and IMO the greatest baseball player ever but you have to look at the eras here no way Ruth dominates like he did in any other era. He was just adhead of his time a HR hitter before there really were HR hitters.

Nobody EVER dominated their sport like Jordan nobody ever has or ever will.

The end all of this debate is simple there is no other sport where the greatest of all time is not disputed other than basketball where everyone agress the GOAT is Michael Jordan.

Tiger Woods dislikes this.

Tiger Woods plays golf, golf while difficult is not a major sport.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I see some of you naming Gretsky? Comeon! or calling for Bo Jackson? whas he ever the best at either sport?

Babe Ruth is a legend and IMO the greatest baseball player ever but you have to look at the eras here no way Ruth dominates like he did in any other era. He was just adhead of his time a HR hitter before there really were HR hitters.

The end all of this debate is simple there is no other sport where the greatest of all time is not disputed other than basketball where everyone agress the GOAT is Michael Jordan.

Well there you go.... the expert has closed the debate and there is no reason to discuss it further. Love the part where you see into the future.

My point is before Jordan no team ever won a championship without dominate big man or 2 (Rodman is a rebounder not a dominate big man) and no one has since him. He won the way no other player ever won before.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
This poll is too biased towards American athletes.

My pick, Johann Cruyff.

Even Beckenbauer, who is somewhat of an egomaniac has said Cruyff was one of the best, if not the best in the sport.
[ Edited by RogerCraig on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:30 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Well there you go.... the expert has closed the debate and there is no reason to discuss it further. Love the part where you see into the future.

My point is before Jordan no team ever won a championship without dominate big man or 2 (Rodman is a rebounder not a dominate big man) and no one has since him. He won the way no other player ever won before.

That is a good point but very disrespectful to Bill Cartwright and Bill Wennington, ha,ha. I think when you say best athlete, it should be someone who did more than dominate one sport. Jordan's baseball experiment was a bust.
Originally posted by rigs49:
Julio Cesar Chavez

Great name. I am thinking of César Estrada Chávez

You have a list of players that were the greatest ever for their respective sports, basically.

You can never say one is greater than the other because in the end you just can't definitively measure these athletes on level ground.

We can all give our opinions and whatnot, but since every sport is different, there's no way one could make a flawlessly convincing argument to say one of these is the best of all time. I don't feel there's a way to accurately rank these individuals.
Bo Jackson
Deion Sanders
Michael Johnson
Jesse Owens
Carl Lewis
Flo Jo

my choice..

Is throwing darts a sport?

Wikipedia ...

Philip Douglas Taylor, nicknamed the Power, (born 13 August 1960) is an English professional darts player. He is recognized as one of the most successful individual sporting champions of all time,[8] having won more than 150 professional tournaments[9] and a record 15 World Championships.
as a previous poster mentioned its jim thrope and its not even close, those who dont even know who he is shouldnt be allowed a vote due to ignorance
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Is throwing darts a sport?

Wikipedia ...

Philip Douglas Taylor, nicknamed the Power, (born 13 August 1960) is an English professional darts player. He is recognized as one of the most successful individual sporting champions of all time,[8] having won more than 150 professional tournaments[9] and a record 15 World Championships.

They ARE in peak physical condition.
Share 49ersWebzone