LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Originally posted by BobS:
Why are you not including track and field athletes or more multiple sports athletes?
I am going to vote for Jim Thorpe, look him up. I know early athletes get no respect around here, other than Babe Ruth. What about someone like Edwin Moses, he won over 100 straight 400 meter hurdle finals spanning over 10 years? Bruce Jenner?
Set a record for most decathlon points?

Agreed. It's Jim Thorpe, and it's not even close.

Quote:

Considered one of the most versatile athletes of modern sports, he won Olympic gold medals for the 1912 pentathlon and decathlon, played American football (collegiate and professional), and also played professional baseball and basketball.
Originally posted by BobS:
Why are you not including track and field athletes or more multiple sports athletes?
I am going to vote for Jim Thorpe, look him up. I know early athletes get no respect around here, other than Babe Ruth. What about someone like Edwin Moses, he won over 100 straight 400 meter hurdle finals spanning over 10 years? Bruce Jenner?
Set a record for most decathlon points?

In the track & field sports, it's hard to vote for people who participate in timed events, because their times have been eclipsed by a wide margin. There aren't too many T&F events where the record time isn't less than 15 years old.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM ]
If you took away every single goal that Gretzky ever scored and just left him with his assists, he'd still have more points than anyone in the history of the NHL.

That is a truly remarkable stat.
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
If you took away every single goal that Gretzky ever scored and just left him with his assists, he'd still have more points than anyone in the history of the NHL.

Wayne Gretzky's Career Achievements... of course, that's not dominating your sport like Jordan did.
black jack johnson
Originally posted by matt49er:
Today is a sad day for me. I really thought you guys would be realistic here.

I see some of you naming Gretsky? Comeon! or calling for Bo Jackson? whas he ever the best at either sport?

Babe Ruth is a legend and IMO the greatest baseball player ever but you have to look at the eras here no way Ruth dominates like he did in any other era. He was just adhead of his time a HR hitter before there really were HR hitters.

Nobody EVER dominated their sport like Jordan nobody ever has or ever will.

The end all of this debate is simple there is no other sport where the greatest of all time is not disputed other than basketball where everyone agress the GOAT is Michael Jordan.

Well there you go.... the expert has closed the debate and there is no reason to discuss it further. Love the part where you see into the future.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Wayne Gretzky's Career Achievements... of course, that's not dominating your sport like Jordan did.

I'd actually rank Gretsky 2nd behind Babe Ruth when it comes to dominating their sport. Jordan would be 3rd at best.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I'd actually rank Gretsky 2nd behind Babe Ruth when it comes to dominating their sport. Jordan would be 3rd at best.

To each their own - I wouldn't argue that point, and I would find it hard to argue even if I wanted to. You could also make cases for Rice, Wilt Chamberlain and Jim Brown.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

To each their own - I wouldn't argue that point, and I would find it hard to argue even if I wanted to. You could also make cases for Rice, Wilt Chamberlain and Jim Brown.

not nearly as much as you can for Gretzky and Jordan...but in all reality if you get off of Jordan's dick...It's gretzky all the way and it's not even close
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
In terms of one of the best athletes ever I gotta give Herschel Walker a nod. The guy was a stud back in the day in the NFL and now he's doing ok in MMA at like 48 which is pretty damn impressive in my books.

Come on. I thought you were gonna be serious.

Michael Jordan! Hello!!!

I'm not saying he's the best I just was saying he's one of the best pure athletes ever.

Remember before Jordan when basketball was played with that square ball and everyone wore mittens? I'm glad he changed the sport.
In terms of one of the best athletes ever I gotta give Herschel Walker a nod. The guy was a stud back in the day in the NFL and now he's doing ok in MMA at like 48 which is pretty damn impressive in my books.

Michael Jordan! Hello!!!

I'm not saying he's the best I just was saying he's one of the best pure athletes ever.

Lol, I was being facetious.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Remember before Jordan when basketball was played with that square ball and everyone wore mittens? I'm glad he changed the sport.

This poll is too biased towards American athletes.

My pick, Johann Cruyff.

Michael Jordan! Hello!!!

Lol, I was being facetious.

Share 49ersWebzone