LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

Greatest Athlete of All Time (Pol)

To me this is a obvious question but I am interested to hear what all you in the zone think.

Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete without question IMO. The only athlete to dominate their sport and takeover single handedly the way Jordan did.

If you look at the NBA throughout history it always takes a big man to win a championship. Except for the Jordan years. To the best of my ability in order of NBA era:

Lakers-George Mikan
Celtics-Bill Russel
Lakers-Wilt Champerlin
Lakers-Kareem
Celtics-Mchale/Parish
Pistons-Lambier/Rodman/Mahorn/Salley (none great but all very good)
Rockets-Oljawon
Spurs-Duncan/Robinson
Lakers-Shaq
Heat-Shaq
Spurs-Duncan
Celtics-KG (and a good Wallace)
Lakers-Gasol/Bynum

This year it will be either Lakers w/Gasol/Bynum, Celtics w/KG, Heat w/Bosh, Spurs w/Duncan or Magic w/Howard that win the championship. Count on it.

Had Jordan not retired the 1st time the Bulls easily would have won the 2 championships in between the Jordan tenures making it 8 in a row for the Bulls and Jordan.

Jordan re-invented himself after the 1st retirement and established one of the most deadly weapons in NBA history the turn around jumper. He was the best player in the NBA again by far yet his style had changed.

No player in any sport was the best for as long or as indisputably as Jordan was. As I said above if he wouldn't have flirted w/baseball the Bulls would have even more championships and Jordan would have many more records.

The NBA MVP award is a joke, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson and Scottie Pippen have said many times that if the award were literally for the best player in the league that is most valuable to his team as it's supposed to be Jordan would have won it every year practically.

Ruth, Ali, Pele, Gretsky, and ofcourse our beloved Montana and Rice dominated their respective sports like no others but none quite like Jordan. I for one do not think we will ever see another.
To me this is a obvious question but I am interested to hear what all you in the zone think.

Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete without question IMO. The only athlete to dominate their sport and takeover single handedly the way Jordan did.

If you look at the NBA throughout history it always takes a big man to win a championship. Except for the Jordan years. To the best of my ability in order of NBA era:

Lakers-George Mikan
Celtics-Bill Russel
Lakers-Wilt Champerlin
Lakers-Kareem
Celtics-Mchale/Parish
Pistons-Lambier/Rodman/Mahorn/Salley (none great but all very good)
Rockets-Oljawon
Spurs-Duncan/Robinson
Lakers-Shaq
Heat-Shaq
Spurs-Duncan
Celtics-KG (and a good Wallace)
Lakers-Gasol/Bynum

This year it will be either Lakers w/Gasol/Bynum, Celtics w/KG, Heat w/Bosh, Spurs w/Duncan or Magic w/Howard that win the championship. Count on it.

Had Jordan not retired the 1st time the Bulls easily would have won the 2 championships in between the Jordan tenures making it 8 in a row for the Bulls and Jordan.

Jordan re-invented himself after the 1st retirement and established one of the most deadly weapons in NBA history the turn around jumper. He was the best player in the NBA again by far yet his style had changed.

No player in any sport was the best for as long or as indisputably as Jordan was. As I said above if he wouldn't have flirted w/baseball the Bulls would have even more championships and Jordan would have many more records.

The NBA MVP award is a joke, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson and Scottie Pippen have said many times that if the award were literally for the best player in the league that is most valuable to his team as it's supposed to be Jordan would have won it every year practically.

Ruth, Ali, Pele, Gretsky, and ofcourse our beloved Montana and Rice dominated their respective sports like no others but none quite like Jordan. I for one do not think we will ever see another.
Jordan did it all...

Individually, and team wise as well
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:00 AM ]
As I understand, this is restricted to Poles (not Pols) .

My choice would be Kasia Selwand - Polish Curling Captain

Mariusz Zbigniew Pudzianowski comes in a close second - Spelling Bee Champion.
wouldn't greatest athlete have to be good at multiple sports? IMO guys who played a couple sports are the greatest athletes and the guys who dominated a sport like you are talking about are the greatest player(s) in that sport.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
wouldn't greatest athlete have to be good at multiple sports? IMO guys who played a couple sports are the greatest athletes and the guys who dominated a sport like you are talking about are the greatest player(s) in that sport.

that's a good point never thought of it that way

Bo Jackson it is!
Deion Sanders.

The resume:

greatest cover corner in NFL history
8x Pro Bowler
2x Super Bowl Champion
only man to ever play in a Super Bowl and a World Series
Intercepted 53 passes and averaged over 25 yards per INT return
NFL record 19 defensive and return touchdowns
among the greatest kick/punt returners in NFL history

Was a career .263 hitter in MLB. For someone who played baseball as a hobby this is impressive. I am sure he could have upped this a bit if he devoted 100% of his career to baseball. He's one of the faster baseball players in history.

In the '92 World Series he hit .533 with 4 runs 8 hits and 2 doubles while playing with a broken bone in his foot.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:02 AM ]
Babe Ruth. He's definitely the most athletic guy ever. The way he threw down hot dogs was impressive.
Why does Rodman count as a Piston, but not as a Bull?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Albeit Gretzky is my all time favorite hockey player, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux are just as worthy of being included as #99 is, as far as how dominant both were on the ice.

Originally posted by pantstickle:
Babe Ruth. He's definitely the most athletic guy ever. The way he threw down hot dogs was impressive.

Please, the Babe ain't got nothin' on Joey Chestnut!
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Please, the Babe ain't got nothin' on Joey Chestnut!

Pfft, Chestnut washes his down with water. Friggin' coddled pro athletes these days. Babe washed his down with beer and penicillin.
Two of my favorite topics...the overrating of Michael Jordan and nostalgic bias toward older athletes...all rolled into one. Yay.
In terms of dominating their sports statistical categories, I don't think anyone touches what Gretzky accomplished.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
In terms of dominating their sports statistical categories, I don't think anyone touches what Gretzky accomplished.

I think Jerry does, especially relative to his era.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone