LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 247 users in the forums

When should we write off the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 220s
  • Veteran
Im only a new niners fan but cant believe the amount of negativity and pessimistic view of what lies ahead.
I have followed the NFL since the 80's but never adopted a team as my own, being a Aussie and following the Eels, the signing of Hayne finally gave me a connection with a team so the niners are now my team.

The clubs have similar histories winning their first championship in the early 80's and dominating the decade but haven't regained the same level of dominance since.
Every new season brings hope that maybe this year will be our year and every year I believe it might be right up until it becomes mathematically impossible for them to pull it off.
I see a lot of niners fans have already written them off for this season the same thing happened to the Eels in 09.
New coach, lost our half (QB) as the regular season started and after 18 of 26 rounds we had just 5 wins.
We won the next 8 straight to make the play offs before loosing the last regular season game 37-0 to the team we had to play the first week of the play offs.
We won convincingly the following week, the week after won again against a team that we had never beaten in history and again the week after to qualify for the grand final (SB).
We lost the grand final but 6 months later the tittle was stripped form the winners for massive salary cap rorting.

I guess what Im saying is keep the faith, there is always hope how ever unlikely it looks.
There is also a bit of a connection between the Eels of 09 and this years 49ers. Most attribute the turn around in the Eels season to one man and he is now playing for SF.
Hayne won 6 consecutive man of the match awards to lead the eels into the play offs and be voted the leagues MVP. Im not saying he can do that this year for SF although Im sure he will trying to play a part but he certainly knows that while ever there is a chance how ever slim it can be done.
If Kap can find some form there is no reason he couldn't do something similar.
When Tomsula was hired. I'm just waiting for him to be fired at this point.
That is a good question because I don't want to write off the team early in the season but it does not look good after consecutive blowouts.
when york fired harb
Originally posted by rxrunner:
when york fired harb

Bingo
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
When Tomsula was hired. I'm just waiting for him to be fired at this point.

Sums it up right there
If we don't win another game by mid season, and we see no improvement...you can write it off.

The positive side is that a few smart draft picks will help immediately. Firing Mangini would also be a giant positive.
I always give up on the season at the end of the season or possibly the end of the playoffs.
Originally posted by jreff22:
If we don't win another game by mid season, and we see no improvement...you can write it off.

The positive side is that a few smart draft picks will help immediately. Firing Mangini would also be a giant positive.

I can't blame Mangini for the lack of pass rush. You've either got a front that can get to the QB or you don't. So far, the Niners don't have that.
Originally posted by crake49:

I can't blame Mangini for the lack of pass rush. You've either got a front that can get to the QB or you don't. So far, the Niners don't have that.

His scheme is retarded. We may not win but when was the last time the D looked this bad? We didn't have Aldon last year and it wasnt this horrible.

His scheme is retarded. We may not win but when was the last time the D looked this bad? We didn't have Aldon last year and it wasnt this horrible.

Hey after the last two games, I can't defend anyone.
Originally posted by rxrunner:
when york fired harb

This
How about when Jed sells the team and we demolish the stadium and move back to San Fran.
this seasons done. With how bad our QB and company are the rest of our schedule are going to eat us alive.
When we are mathematically eliminated
Share 49ersWebzone