There are 265 users in the forums

Are you happy with the draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you happy with the draft?

So.......are you happy, or not, with the draft and why?
The only pick that I really didn't like was taking a punter in the 5th. I didn't really want Armstead, but I can see why the FO took him.
Can we say 50/50? Didn't like the punter picker either and didn't want armstead
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
generally like.
i can live with Armstead.
Puzzled by the P

other than than i am content
I was pretty disappointed in getting Armstead as I would have rather taken Irving and move Kilgore back to guard to compete with Thomas for the starting gig.

With that said the move has mostly been praised by people that for the most part know football better than us and listening to the way the analyst were building him up this morning, I had a brief moment where I started to get a little pumped up.

Love the the Davis and Smelter pick and was pretty excited about getting Harold in the third. Its not out of the question that we could have a top 3 pass rush this season. In fact I'm counting on it.

I think this draft class is hard to grade because many of the prospects are raw but offer some of the best upside at their positions in the whole draft. So we'll see but I'm getting pumped for football now.
Originally posted by 9RVOLS:
The only pick that I really didn't like was taking a punter in the 5th. I didn't really want Armstead, but I can see why the FO took him.

This..my thoughts exactly.
I feel like there isn't much to add based on what previous posters have said. I preferred a NT that could command double teams in the first and am not on board with the Armstead pick, but I get the front office's perspective. The talent is clearly there. Tartt is possible insurance for Eric Reid and should definitely push Craig Dahl of the door. The 3rd and 4th round picks were home runs. The punter has to beat out Lee to justify that pick and save us the cap space we'd get from cutting/trading Lee. The 6th round guard (I'm assuming he will play guard) gives us some needed depth. Overall, I'd say an B+/A-.
The guy we just got from Florida is a monster OT with vines for arms but who's also surprisingly athletic.
Considering it was our 7th pick of the draft, and considering Andy Lee is getting old, and considering he was the best punting prospect in college....

Who cares? If we got another Andy Lee, it was a great pick.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
puzzled about the punter but whatever.got no issue with the first three picks on defense. all three will get some time this year and all three figure into our future. some think the team is tanking this next year but that is stupid. the team is preparing to replace people like bethea, boldin, country, dahl! and you can never have enough pass rushers. as i write this no clue what is being taken in the 7th round , but by not drafting a corner that tells me that the team is fine with who we have and since i am no expert, unlike some here claim to be, who am i to differ , plus we have a great secondary coach. by not taking a inside backer that tells me the team is fine with bowmans knee and is ok with michael which is fine with me,, plus we signed three free agents including wheeler who can be a fine player. i guess if the team wanted to, they could sign lance briggs. it is wise to get davis the back. hyde is still learning, reggie may be here only a year and god love him , but who knows about hunter. did you also note that we have signed and drafted backs who can catch out of the backfield? loved the tight end/qb/fullback/ multi tasker. will help us in short yardage, could be a better qb than gabbert! can do anything. very nice pick. others moan it was not sexy,,, the niners do not do sexy in free agency(though smith is rather sensual) nor do they do sexy in the draft. we are a meat and potatoes team whose offense will be better and whose defense will benefit from all of the good competition that will be forthcoming... oh and i never thought o line was a huge need cuz we got good young talent there and the acl guy from last year is going to start at left guard and be a rock for us. speculation but wise speculation in my opinion. point is, good draft, can not wait till the team is assembled and everyone who is whining and moaning can leave as they will not be mourned or missed

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The guy we just got from Florida is a monster OT with vines for arms but who's also surprisingly athletic.
staley is a war horse but you really have to like the youth we have on that line. our depth will be sooo much better than last year,
Originally posted by Niners99:
Considering it was our 7th pick of the draft, and considering Andy Lee is getting old, and considering he was the best punting prospect in college....

Where did you get he was the BEST punting prospect?
Originally posted by Niners99:

on the dirt cheap for a few years too. the general Lee has served us well but if we found the cheaper replacement that is just as good if not better, thats a smart move
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I was pretty disappointed in getting Armstead as I would have rather taken Irving and move Kilgore back to guard to compete with Thomas for the starting gig.

With that said the move has mostly been praised by people that for the most part know football better than us and listening to the way the analyst were building him up this morning, I had a brief moment where I started to get a little pumped up.

Love the the Davis and Smelter pick and was pretty excited about getting Harold in the third. Its not out of the question that we could have a top 3 pass rush this season. In fact I'm counting on it.

I think this draft class is hard to grade because many of the prospects are raw but offer some of the best upside at their positions in the whole draft. So we'll see but I'm getting pumped for football now.
i like our first round pick and i love kilgore at center,,, but overall your post is spot on. that damn multi tasker tight end guy may be a real gem for us!
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
staley is a war horse but you really have to like the youth we have on that line. our depth will be sooo much better than last year,

Definitely had to get younger and add depth to the line. I really like this Trenton Brown pick; there's a lot to work with there.
Share 49ersWebzone