There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why was he so ineffective in KC? Was he not a real high pick?
it will be different for him when he is surrounded by talent all over on defense... He probably also has something to prove to show that he isn't a bust. I love it when we pick up former first rounders...
It only makes sense if we signed him to be our NT, We don't have a need for him at DE cause we already got Ray Mcdonald and Justin Smith, But we do have Ian Williams, so their will def competion at NT postion.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
It only makes sense if we signed him to be our NT, We don't have a need for him at DE cause we already got Ray Mcdonald and Justin Smith, But we do have Ian Williams, so their will def competion at NT postion.

Not really. It also makes sense that we brought him in for depth to back up Ray Mac and Cowboy
What most webzoners fail to realize is that while the Niners play a base 3-4 defense on 1st down, or running downs, they play a hybrid or basically a 4-3 on 70% of downs. Sopoaga only played 30% of the snaps last year. When the niners go into nickel or dime defense, which is the majority of the time. The Niners lined up Justin Smith and McDonald at the 3 technique and Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks become DE's. Dorsey fits great into the scheme, if McDonald or Smith need a rest he can rotate in.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Not really. It also makes sense that we brought him in for depth to back up Ray Mac and Cowboy


Spot on. And he MAY or COULD (fingers crossed) be the heir apparent to Justin Smith.
Originally posted by 9erred:
What most webzoners fail to realize is that while the Niners play a base 3-4 defense on 1st down, or running downs, they play a hybrid or basically a 4-3 on 70% of downs. Sopoaga only played 30% of the snaps last year. When the niners go into nickel or dime defense, which is the majority of the time. The Niners lined up Justin Smith and McDonald at the 3 technique and Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks become DE's. Dorsey fits great into the scheme, if McDonald or Smith need a rest he can rotate in.

Great Post!

1st Down: RayMac - Williams - Smith
2nd/3rd Down: A.Smith - RayMac/Smith - Dorsey - RayMac/Smith
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I hope he has put on at least a little weight. I took a quick look at all the NT's in the league.There are some who weigh in at 290 or less, but they are over 6-2 tall. The shorter ones meanwhile weigh at lesat in the 310 range. I really couldn't find any that were both short and light. Undersized NT's can be successful if they utilize leverage and quickness. I hope Dorsey can take advantage of those abilities and be a productive player.

Ian Williams, a guy we just gave an extension to as a NT, is 6'1/305. Very similar to Dorsey's size. That's probably the type of NT the Niners prefer.
llol, i wanted this guy in 2008. Now we get him.
Nice to see us get some relief for the defense
Rotation in the making.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 9erred:
What most webzoners fail to realize is that while the Niners play a base 3-4 defense on 1st down, or running downs, they play a hybrid or basically a 4-3 on 70% of downs. Sopoaga only played 30% of the snaps last year. When the niners go into nickel or dime defense, which is the majority of the time. The Niners lined up Justin Smith and McDonald at the 3 technique and Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks become DE's. Dorsey fits great into the scheme, if McDonald or Smith need a rest he can rotate in.

Great Post!

1st Down: RayMac - Williams - Smith
2nd/3rd Down: A.Smith - RayMac/Smith - Dorsey - RayMac/Smith

Don't forget Brooks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 9erred:
What most webzoners fail to realize is that while the Niners play a base 3-4 defense on 1st down, or running downs, they play a hybrid or basically a 4-3 on 70% of downs. Sopoaga only played 30% of the snaps last year. When the niners go into nickel or dime defense, which is the majority of the time. The Niners lined up Justin Smith and McDonald at the 3 technique and Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks become DE's. Dorsey fits great into the scheme, if McDonald or Smith need a rest he can rotate in.

Great Post!

1st Down: RayMac - Williams - Smith
2nd/3rd Down: A.Smith - RayMac/Smith - Dorsey - RayMac/Smith

Don't forget Brooks.

How does he line up in our 3rd down package? I do see him with his hand in the ground.

It was Smith, Smith, Brooks, and RayMac (iirc). I wonder if that would continue. Maybe Dorsey would replace RayMac in that situation
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
OMG YOU GUYS WE SIGNED KEN DORSEY??!?


















Originally posted by NinerBuff:
How does he line up in our 3rd down package? I do see him with his hand in the ground.

It was Smith, Smith, Brooks, and RayMac (iirc). I wonder if that would continue. Maybe Dorsey would replace RayMac in that situation

Think it would be more like this:

1st & 2nd Down: (Brooks) RayMac - Williams - J.Smith (A.Smith)
3rd Down: A.Brooks - Dorsey - J.Smith - A.Smith
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
How does he line up in our 3rd down package? I do see him with his hand in the ground.

It was Smith, Smith, Brooks, and RayMac (iirc). I wonder if that would continue. Maybe Dorsey would replace RayMac in that situation

Think it would be more like this:

1st & 2nd Down: (Brooks) RayMac - Williams - J.Smith (A.Smith)
3rd Down: A.Brooks - Dorsey - J.Smith - A.Smith

Sounds about right, except you it's probably more like:

1st & 2nd and short - RayMac, Williams, Smith
2nd and long & 3rd - Brooks - Dorsey - Smith - Smith

That significantly reduces RayMac's roll. That'll be an interesting development. I'm sure a rookie or two will also figure into this rotation.