LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think its funny how some of you are so uninspired by this move. We didn't sign the be-all, end-all free agent on the market but we got a guy that one of the best coaching staffs and personel departments in the league think can help this team and thats good enough for me. I think back to 2011 with the moves this team made and the majority of us were downright disappointed. In the end it was those moves that played a big hand in helping this team reach the NFC championship.
Dude was a #5 overall pick. I'm extremely excited to see what this coaching staff does with him and I think this could end up being one of the pick-ups of the off-season. He wasn't a reach at #5, he has incredible talent. If this staff can light a fire under him we might have ourselves another pro-bowler on defense.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like this signing of Dorsey, hes pretty similar to RJF and I think he would fill the same role. Excited to see who our new NT will be.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I think its funny how some of you are so uninspired by this move. We didn't sign the be-all, end-all free agent on the market but we got a guy that one of the best coaching staffs and personel departments in the league think can help this team and thats good enough for me. I think back to 2011 with the moves this team made and the majority of us were downright disappointed. In the end it was those moves that played a big hand in helping this team reach the NFC championship.

Agreed! Guys like this and Boldin are PERFECT fits for our system. And this is how you build championship teams...
So far we got:

1, Dorsey
2. Boldin
3. The #34 pick in the draft
4. A 2-3 round pick next year

We lost:
1. Soap
2. Moss
3. Alex Smith
4. Goldson
5. Walker
6. RJF (probably)

I'd say that is pretty good so far.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
We continue to move backwards. We are losing key pieces to a team that went to the superbowl and replacing them with scrubs. Smh...

I nominate you for the most negative poster in the WZ. You do understand that the Niners just got Boldin and have 14 draft picks right?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
pretty sure Dorsey can do whatever Sopoaga can do
and he's a lot younger

Not a true NT though. He's a lot smaller, weight wise. I saw that he was 297 lbs and Soap was 330. We still don't have a true NT on the roster.

Then again, that 297 was from his combine....5 years ago! Call me crazy, but I bet he's put on a little weight since then.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Glenn Dorsey + Ian Williams =

Both younger but both sub-300 pound guys. These two, at best, are one-gap NT's. I still expect us to get a more prototypical NT high in the draft and would expect Dorsey to spell Justin in run downs at RDE. Veteran insurance with potential for a decent upside with Tomsula.

I think, but not really sure, that Ian Williams is closer to 310 at this point.

And as mentioned, the sub-300lb number for Dorsey was at his combine back in 2008. The odds of him putting on anywhere from 10-15 lbs since then are pretty good.

Originally posted by Ice49er:
Not all Nose Tackles are 6-2 330. Jay Ratliff has been one of the best in the NFL the last couple of years and he is 6-4 298.
NT Kyle Williams of the Bills is 6-1 303.

I hope he has put on at least a little weight. I took a quick look at all the NT's in the league.There are some who weigh in at 290 or less, but they are over 6-2 tall. The shorter ones meanwhile weigh at lesat in the 310 range. I really couldn't find any that were both short and light. Undersized NT's can be successful if they utilize leverage and quickness. I hope Dorsey can take advantage of those abilities and be a productive player.
Why was he so ineffective in KC? Was he not a real high pick?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I like this signing of Dorsey, hes pretty similar to RJF and I think he would fill the same role. Excited to see who our new NT will be.

Basically went from an UDFA to the #5 pick in the draft on our d line. I like the trade up. Next up..................who knows?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why was he so ineffective in KC? Was he not a real high pick?
it will be different for him when he is surrounded by talent all over on defense... He probably also has something to prove to show that he isn't a bust. I love it when we pick up former first rounders...

It only makes sense if we signed him to be our NT, We don't have a need for him at DE cause we already got Ray Mcdonald and Justin Smith, But we do have Ian Williams, so their will def competion at NT postion.
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
It only makes sense if we signed him to be our NT, We don't have a need for him at DE cause we already got Ray Mcdonald and Justin Smith, But we do have Ian Williams, so their will def competion at NT postion.

Not really. It also makes sense that we brought him in for depth to back up Ray Mac and Cowboy
What most webzoners fail to realize is that while the Niners play a base 3-4 defense on 1st down, or running downs, they play a hybrid or basically a 4-3 on 70% of downs. Sopoaga only played 30% of the snaps last year. When the niners go into nickel or dime defense, which is the majority of the time. The Niners lined up Justin Smith and McDonald at the 3 technique and Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks become DE's. Dorsey fits great into the scheme, if McDonald or Smith need a rest he can rotate in.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Not really. It also makes sense that we brought him in for depth to back up Ray Mac and Cowboy

Spot on. And he MAY or COULD (fingers crossed) be the heir apparent to Justin Smith.
Originally posted by 9erred:
What most webzoners fail to realize is that while the Niners play a base 3-4 defense on 1st down, or running downs, they play a hybrid or basically a 4-3 on 70% of downs. Sopoaga only played 30% of the snaps last year. When the niners go into nickel or dime defense, which is the majority of the time. The Niners lined up Justin Smith and McDonald at the 3 technique and Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks become DE's. Dorsey fits great into the scheme, if McDonald or Smith need a rest he can rotate in.

Great Post!

1st Down: RayMac - Williams - Smith
2nd/3rd Down: A.Smith - RayMac/Smith - Dorsey - RayMac/Smith
Share 49ersWebzone