LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

49ers signed Glenn Dorsey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Eric Branch @Eric_Branch
#49ers announce signing of DL Glenn Dorsey to two-year deal.

I imagine that he will be the player who rotates with Justin Smith and Ray McDonald.

Reducing their in season snaps would be a boon to the defense.

I
I like this move. Jim Tomsula has a new project to work on and can hopefully get him going. In my opinion, Glenn Dorsey fits us better as a 3-4 DE, not a NT. We could use him in a similar role to how used Ricky Jean-Francois. Put him in a DE rotation, then kick him inside to DT in 3rd down passing situations. I forsee the 49ers drafting a DT/NT early to compete with Ian Williams. Maybe a guy like Jesse Williams (Alabama), Sylvester Williams (UNC), or Jonathan Hankins (Ohio St.)?
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Didn't he play alongside RJF?

Yes, and they were both highly touted players. RJF was actually supposed to be the better player at LSU, but Dorsey outshined him a bit.

RJF fell in the draft because of off-the-field crap. They were both very good at LSU. One went in the top ten and the other went in the 7th round. Now the 7th rounder is looking for more money than the top ten pick that he played next to at LSU.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM ]
Coming out of college and being the 5th overall pick in the draft the expectations were pretty high. It's not a reach calling him a bust. However, I'm looking at the signing from the perspective of what we lost, Soap and Ricky, is he on their level? Maybe better, so it's not a bad pickup.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:
Haven't seen a chiefs game in like 2 years. Did KC utilize him as a pass rushing DT in nickel and dime sets?

No, he's a classic run stopping 2 gap defender

Its funny...I've read a tone of stuff that says he's miscast in a 3-4...

...and it makes me flash back to Cincy fans that were critical of Justin Smith because he wasn't capable of playing in a 3-4.

Hrmmm.

Not the same guy...clearly...but Tomsula is a damn good coach.

This is what make me love this signing. Get a player with talent for a cheaper price and have our coaches do what they do best. We are going to lose some players on defense but I would really cry if we lost Tomsula. Am going to far to say he is our Bobb McKittick for the DL.
Any terms of the deal released?
I wonder if he's put on any weight since entering the league. He's been listed at 297 since his rookie season. If he is in the 310-315 range he could be a candidate to start at nose tackle. He does anchor well against the run.
I like this signing a lot. I am confident in Tomsula's coaching abilities to make Dorsey into a solid player
I like this signing a lot. I am confident in Tomsula's coaching abilities to make Dorsey into a solid player
Originally posted by SportsFan:

All that's been said so far is that it's a 2-year deal.

Originally posted by PTulini:
I like this move. Jim Tomsula has a new project to work on and can hopefully get him going. In my opinion, Glenn Dorsey fits us better as a 3-4 DE, not a NT. We could use him in a similar role to how used Ricky Jean-Francois. Put him in a DE rotation, then kick him inside to DT in 3rd down passing situations. I forsee the 49ers drafting a DT/NT early to compete with Ian Williams. Maybe a guy like Jesse Williams (Alabama), Sylvester Williams (UNC), or Jonathan Hankins (Ohio St.)?

[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM ]
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/photo-gallery/49ers-Sign-Glenn-Dorsey/309f73e5-6c6a-4741-9a63-ccc60633c464#156a6e2c-b241-42fd-b9e3-20e4cbdc780b
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Coming out of college and being the 5th overall pick in the draft the expectations were pretty high. It's not a reach calling him a bust. However, I'm looking at the signing from the perspective of what we lost, Soap and Ricky, is he on their level? Maybe better, so it's not a bad pickup.

RJF is the better player, but Dorsey is the better athlete. He took on a lot of double teams in KC, no matter where he was playing. There must be a reason for that.
Originally posted by SportsFan:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/dorsey-ready-compete-spot-d-line

The 49ers announced the signing of defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey to a two-year contract on Wednesday. The deal can be worth as much as $7 million with incentives, the AP reported.
[ Edited by 49ersRednGold on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM ]
2 years 7 mil if incentives are hit... my guess would be 5-6 if they aren't.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/dorsey-ready-compete-spot-d-line

Some good stuff below:

"Just the way they play, their passion for the game and the success they had," Dorsey said. "Everybody can see they have a winning formula."

Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula greeted Dorsey up at the airport Tuesday night.

"He has a lot of energy," Dorsey said. "He's a great guy. He picked me up at airport and he was talking 100 mph. We talked about a lot of stuff. I'm excited to get an opportunity work with him."

Dorsey visited the 49ers training complex in Santa Clara on Wednesday. He met some of his new teammates, including Justin Smith.

"It's a positive atmosphere," Dorsey said. "Everybody is working hard and talking to each other. And you can feel it when you walk into the building. It's like a big family. Everybody is high-fiving each other, talking to each other. It's a different environment than what I'm used to. I'm excited about it and I'm excited to get going."

Dorsey was 6-foot-1, 297 pounds when he came out of college. That is still his listed weight. Although he appears considerably bigger, Dorsey said he is still close to 300 pounds.

While the most likely fit for Dorsey is at nose tackle, where he is expected to replace Sopoaga, the lineman said he is fine with whatever position the 49ers decide to use him.

"I'm OK with anything," he said. "Whatever coach wants me to do. I knew coming in here, I could play anywhere. So wherever they see fit and I'll try my best at that position."
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone