Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 625 users in the forums

Smith, Tolzien thread. Yet again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
cc, what are your feelings re: Tolzien as a back up in worst case scenario...ie, Kap gets injured, seriously?
i have always said that if alex was not on the team backing up ck i would be a bit more unglued than usual. the thought of alex not being here, ck getting hurt and the kid going in terrifies me. i know that many people think our head coach can just wave one of my dads magic wands(he was a magician when he was not a tv repairman) and turn anyone into a great quarterback but moving forward I really think we should sign a vet for next year. i know many want to spend a draft pick on a qb but in my opinion with the need for a kicker and depth along the line , possible hole at safety and the need for two good tight ends, i feel we can not waste a pick on a quarterback.

Usually, back-ups are a huge step down from the starter..but because no one has much film on them they're servicable for a couple games...see Troy Smith. I think Tolzien will be fine. The fact that he's a different style of qb than Kaep is also probably to his advantage if he had to come in on the spot.

Also next year will be Tolziens 3rd year in the system and they did keep him over Josh Johnson, they have to like him
all good points but two kids behind ck even before i came to embrace ck with open arms and open legs, i was confident in his second year that he could come in if alex went down and not hurt us. i am sorry guys but i just do not have that same feeling about T
Originally posted by susweel:
I'll take my chances playing him twice a year if he ends up in the division but I think we should allow him his release. The way he has handled the demotion I think its the least we can do for him.

I agree...I think if he had created a stir we would not be in the superbowl right now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by susweel:
I'll take my chances playing him twice a year if he ends up in the division but I think we should allow him his release. The way he has handled the demotion I think its the least we can do for him.

i like alex alot and will root for him to do well but come on, we should not be scared of the cards just cuz alex may be their quarterback. sus is right. jacobs was a prick and deserved everything he got or did not get. alex should and will be treated much different
Originally posted by cciowa:
all good points but two kids behind ck even before i came to embrace ck with open arms and open legs, i was confident in his second year that he could come in if alex went down and not hurt us. i am sorry guys but i just do not have that same feeling about T

I agree...but most teams don't have a back-up that is anywhere near the level of the starter...if they were THAT good, for the most part they'd be starting on teams that have bigger needs at qbs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
I'll take my chances playing him twice a year if he ends up in the division but I think we should allow him his release. The way he has handled the demotion I think its the least we can do for him.

I agree...I think if he had created a stir we would not be in the superbowl right now.
we may have made it anyway but you are right,, the nightmare flash back to the way joe and steve used the media and team mates to push their agenda would not have been pretty for our team. i love George S but i would like to think JH would have shown the team where the bear s**ts had we went through that, thank god we did not, thank both guys for that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by susweel:
I'll take my chances playing him twice a year if he ends up in the division but I think we should allow him his release. The way he has handled the demotion I think its the least we can do for him.

I agree...I think if he had created a stir we would not be in the superbowl right now.
we may have made it anyway but you are right,, the nightmare flash back to the way joe and steve used the media and team mates to push their agenda would not have been pretty for our team. i love George S but i would like to think JH would have shown the team where the bear s**ts had we went through that, thank god we did not, thank both guys for that.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i like alex alot and will root for him to do well but come on, we should not be scared of the cards just cuz alex may be their quarterback. sus is right. jacobs was a prick and deserved everything he got or did not get. alex should and will be treated much different

I would prefer it if Alex did not play for the Cards. Not because I fear him or them (can't worry about how good the people you play are because you want to beat the best), but because I really don't want to root for the card when they're not playing us.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by susweel:
Smith expected to request release

http://m.nbcsports.com/rotoworld-main-headlines/sport/rotoworld-hl-nfl?article=1235326

Important part of that: "The 49ers don't have to oblige, of course. Smith has trade value, and the 49ers won't honor his request if it doesn't help their team. Getting back a draft pick would."

Sounds like a lot of conjecture too.

As much respect I have for Alex and what he endured here, we have to do what's best for our team and get picks for him. He might not like it, but he's only got one year left on his deal.

I disagree I think they should grant him his release and let him chose his team.

Yeah, let's take the chance of making our division even harder by allowing the Cards the opportunity to have a good QB on their roster. Also, let's still pay part of his salary and relinquish the possibility of mulitiple high draft picks. No thanks. This is a business, and I've always supported Alex, but at the end of the day, we have to do what's best for us. Also, that doesn't mean we can't work with Alex and try to seek offers from teams he approves.

I'll take my chances playing him twice a year if he ends up in the division but I think we should allow him his release. The way he has handled the demotion I think its the least we can do for him.

I would feel really bad for Alex if he went to a division rival. That means Kaep gets to beat him twice a year for many years to come. That's like living next door to your ex girlfriend who dumped you for a hotter guy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
sorry for the double post, must be the ice on the lines with our recent ice storm in iowa
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 60,541
Originally posted by verb1der:
I would feel really bad for Alex if he went to a division rival. That means Kaep gets to beat him twice a year for many years to come. That's like living next door to your ex girlfriend who dumped you for a hotter guy.

that is why you dump them first. that is what i did to my across the hall neighbor , plus her f**king a*****e son stole my oj simpson 1973 football card. could never prove it
Originally posted by verb1der:
I would feel really bad for Alex if he went to a division rival. That means Kaep gets to beat him twice a year for many years to come. That's like living next door to your ex girlfriend who dumped you for a hotter guy.

Alex wouldn't play against Colin..he'd play against our defense.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I would feel really bad for Alex if he went to a division rival. That means Kaep gets to beat him twice a year for many years to come. That's like living next door to your ex girlfriend who dumped you for a hotter guy.

Alex wouldn't play against Colin..he'd play against our defense.

Well you know what I mean, they always pit QBs against eachother.

"alex outplayed drew brees"

"kaep outplayed rodgers"..


yada yada...


Don't do it Alex, don't torture yourself, be as FAR AWAY from the NFC West as you can.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
The 49ers have paid Alex quite a bit of money for the last 8 years. He did not always live upto to the standards or the pay grade. He seems like a nice human being, and an avg QB. With a great coach, the right supporting cast and defense, he can be quite productive for the team.

I think Alex benefitted more from the 49ers than the other way around. Simply put, the 49ers should not release him outright, and do their best to get a trade...even if it means sending him to AZ. We have smart people in the front office, so no worries.

I agree, with all of this.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Usually, back-ups are a huge step down from the starter..but because no one has much film on them they're servicable for a couple games...see Troy Smith. I think Tolzien will be fine. The fact that he's a different style of qb than Kaep is also probably to his advantage if he had to come in on the spot.

that's the truth...I don't think there is 32 functional QBs in this league

there is however sitations where stabability and coaches that can make the right QBs functional

Deburg
Montana
Bono
Young
Garbac
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I would feel really bad for Alex if he went to a division rival. That means Kaep gets to beat him twice a year for many years to come. That's like living next door to your ex girlfriend who dumped you for a hotter guy.

Alex wouldn't play against Colin..he'd play against our defense.

It always bugs me when someone says this QB beat that QB, like they're playing each other one on one.......
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone