LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Again, someone fails to acknowledge the job of a 3-4 DL. They are there to command blockers, which frees up Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Ahmad, and pretty much everyone else not on the line. When you lose a guy that the other team has to put 2 and sometimes 3 bodies on, you are losing a major part of your defense. RJF might be able to make some plays on his own tonight because he is unlikely to eat up that many blockers, which means they will put one guy on him, but that leaves another blocker free to get to our linebackers. If RJF can win his one-on-one battles, they may consider putting another body on him. Only then will the loss of Justin Smith not be so huge. If he can't win those one-on-one battles, our defense will suffer mightily.

I want RJF to become a dominant player, but losing Justin Smith cannot be thought of as a "no big deal, we have another guy who will fill in" situation.

The job is to get pressure on the quarterback, and RJF was more effectiv e than cowboy vs the patriots. Since when was the job to get blocked by linemen? lol every one of our defensive linemen are trying to get to the QB and stop the run, thats it.

There is a reason a 3-4 DE is not expected to get sacks.

By the way, Lynch just scored on a run toward RJF. Justin probably doesn't let that happen.

Like I said, I like RJF, but he is not even on the same planet as Justin Smith.
we missed him tonight
I didn't think the D would look this lousy without Justin Smith. I hope the big fella gets back soon because the defense isn't the same withouth him.
[ Edited by kemp_j on Dec 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM ]
Without Cowboy, our defense doesn't have any teeth.
Can't gum the opposing offense to death.
Well look at the end of the Patrots game. And the whole Seahawks game. We are toast without him. Completely average defense or below average. Which leaves me deeply concerned when you think of him getting older.
Without Smith setting that edge, it is really amazing how big the rush lanes were tonight. Really need him back to do anything in the playoffs. Evidence shows that this is a real mediocre-bad defense without Smith.
harbaugh not sure if Cowboy will be available for the playoffs
Originally posted by schmons:

If that's the case, then we're f**ked. There are a few players that we can't live without for an extended period, and Justin is one of them. Our defensive struggles the past 6 quarters coincide exactly to when he was injured. Aldon hasn't sniffed the QB since his absence.

I hate to say it, but the injuries are piling up and they might be our downfall. Justin, Manningham, Hunter, Williams. These are big losses. To be a Super Bowl winner you have to be good, but you also have to be relatively healthy. We're limping into the playoffs right now.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM ]
Justin Smith is our MVP.

We need his baby batter in a jar and clone his ass.
Originally posted by schmons:

He also said there was a good chance he would play at the begining of last week ... I would not believe anything Harbaugh says about injuries ...

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
What the eff is wrong with Smith? Why won't they release the efffin MRI results?

Why would they? No reason to lose the advantage of opposing coaches not knowing whether he'll play.

?? What's the point? He plays -- they double team him. He doesn't -- they don't.

Because you have a larger repertoire of plays and blocking schemes you can implement if you're not stuck doubleteaming on every play. And you need to practice said plays.

Harbaugh's job is to win, not to make sure fans are promptly informed of players' injuries.

exactly. belilcheck is a great coach and he never lets any info out on injuries. we could go back to a guy like sing who lets you know and loses if you'd like.

Like it really mattered guys...
I'm sorry, but you have 2 all pro ILBs and a pro bowl alternate at one OLB last year. And you have a DPOY candidate in Aldon this year. There is no way a top 3 ranked defense should be affected this way by the loss of one player. A middle of the pack D, yes, but never one ranked as high as ours.

It's time for Fangio to produce a scheme to hide the loss of Justin. It's obvious Francois can't play end in a 3-4, so maybe switch to a 4-3.

If our D sucks big time next week again, then every player should give their salary to Justin

By the way, didn't the Pack have 13+ players or IR their SB year.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I just watched the defensive snaps from the last Seahawks game. My impression? We're f**ked.

Sometimes being right really sucks.
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
I'm sorry, but you have 2 all pro ILBs and a pro bowl alternate at one OLB last year. And you have a DPOY candidate in Aldon this year. There is no way a top 3 ranked defense should be affected this way by the loss of one player. A middle of the pack D, yes, but never one ranked as high as ours.

It's time for Fangio to produce a scheme to hide the loss of Justin. It's obvious Francois can't play end in a 3-4, so maybe switch to a 4-3.

If our D sucks big time next week again, then every player should give their salary to Justin

By the way, didn't the Pack have 13+ players or IR their SB year.
This is true. Although it's difficult for outside fans to understand the important of Justin as he gets 3rd most media coverage on the Defense.... as I watched the Seahawks game with a non-partial friend, he questioned why I was blaming so much of the defenses struggles (1st Half) on 1 single player. As I have myself stated this might be the best defensive unit since the 2000 Ravens.....well if Justin makes this big of a difference then I was incorrect

Furthermore if Justin is such an X-factor on this Defense, we better stop proclaiming ourselves long term title contenders. Gut check time. I think Justin will play but we can't expect more than a Dwight Freeney in SB sort of performance. Limited snaps.

6 game career starter & major defensive re-adjustments one month before the NFC Playoffs? That Rams tie/lose is looking really big right about now
To answer this question...

Share 49ersWebzone