There are 263 users in the forums

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

This totally sucks, no Justin!!!!

Against the Pats, the D took a dump after he left. They made a couple of good plays but for the most part..took a dump!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooo!!!

Significant, hopefully RJF is ready to step up and do a good job.
Stupid Damon Bruce and Larry Krueger on KNBR were blabbing all about how long Justin Smiths streak was last Sunday morning. They jinxed it.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Aldon needs to step up and get a better push without his brother. Might as well get the sack record tonight.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So now he goes from looking like he is fine, to then questionable, to then doubtful, to out and now they they HOPE he will be back for the playoffs. That is not good. I get so sick of all of the bs when it comes to injuries. I still don't think I have heard a full explanation of Hunters injury or the severity. First it was an ankle, then MM had to report that he heard it was the Achilles.

Hunter had an Achilles tendon tear...which is posterior and medial to the malleoli...aka, the ankles. It's easy to see how one would might think it was an ankle injury based on the area they were working in...

As for Justin Smith...I think he has a very significant, 6-8 week injury to his triceps. Hopefully with 4 weeks (with a bye week off), he can be back to 75-85% with good workout of surrounding muscles. We don't need him vs Az.

What are you basing this on?
  • titan
  • Veteran
^ I thought it was an elbow? Is it like Ray Lewis?
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Montana:

Against the Pats, the D took a dump after he left. They made a couple of good plays but for the most part..took a dump!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooo!!!

PREVENT is the reason we stunk, not because Justin was out. Do you not remember RJF and McDonald getting back to back sacks? More pressure than Justin was getting all night.
It's more than just significant, but I wouldn't say catastrophic. The defense is unlikely to be anywhere near as good as it usually is unless the Seahawks have a bad game offensively. Aldon can and will continue to put pressure on the QB, as has been evidenced when he lines up on the other side of the line from Justin and still dominates right tackles.

Justin Smith is the heart of the defense. He is the best player on the team. It's a massive loss, but luckily there are a lot of other big-time players on the defense. We may be able to disguise the loss against Seattle with great schemes and the Cardinals are an awful team so we should be OK against them. If this were a significant injury in the middle of the season, we'd be screwed.
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by Montana:

Nooooooooooooo!!!

PREVENT is the reason we stunk, not because Justin was out. Do you not remember RJF and McDonald getting back to back sacks? More pressure than Justin was getting all night.

They weren't getting doubled the way Justin was, either. Sometimes guys make a good play, but that doesn't mean they were doing a better job.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
They weren't getting doubled the way Justin was, either. Sometimes guys make a good play, but that doesn't mean they were doing a better job.

RJF got more pressure on less (WAY less) attempts. By definition, RJF did a better job that game. im not saying hes a better player than justin. but yes, he was more effective against the patriots, and im sure he will be serviceable tonight. a lot of teams dont even have starting DEs as good as RJF.

Originally posted by THEB:

RJF got more pressure on less (WAY less) attempts. By definition, RJF did a better job that game. im not saying hes a better player than justin. but yes, he was more effective against the patriots, and im sure he will be serviceable tonight. a lot of teams dont even have starting DEs as good as RJF.

I'm not trying to take anything from Ricky Jean-Francois. I like the guy and hope he does well, but you fail to acknowledge what a 3-4 defensive lineman's job is, which is to tie up blockers so the linebackers can do their thing. Justin Smith gets double- and triple-teamed, RJF had one-on-one situations. Being that their job is to occupy blockers, RJF did not do a better JOB. Sorry. He made a nice play to get a sack, which was fantastic, but he was not more effective overall.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
As great as J. Smith is, you aren't playing 10 vs. 11 if you lose him, RJF replaces at least some of this effectiveness. It's a team effort on D, so it's hard to say that the absence of one guy makes a huge difference.
Originally posted by kray28:
As great as J. Smith is, you aren't playing 10 vs. 11 if you lose him, RJF replaces at least some of this effectiveness. It's a team effort on D, so it's hard to say that the absence of one guy makes a huge difference.

Again, someone fails to acknowledge the job of a 3-4 DL. They are there to command blockers, which frees up Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Ahmad, and pretty much everyone else not on the line. When you lose a guy that the other team has to put 2 and sometimes 3 bodies on, you are losing a major part of your defense. RJF might be able to make some plays on his own tonight because he is unlikely to eat up that many blockers, which means they will put one guy on him, but that leaves another blocker free to get to our linebackers. If RJF can win his one-on-one battles, they may consider putting another body on him. Only then will the loss of Justin Smith not be so huge. If he can't win those one-on-one battles, our defense will suffer mightily.

I want RJF to become a dominant player, but losing Justin Smith cannot be thought of as a "no big deal, we have another guy who will fill in" situation.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Again, someone fails to acknowledge the job of a 3-4 DL. They are there to command blockers, which frees up Willis, Bowman, Aldon, Ahmad, and pretty much everyone else not on the line. When you lose a guy that the other team has to put 2 and sometimes 3 bodies on, you are losing a major part of your defense. RJF might be able to make some plays on his own tonight because he is unlikely to eat up that many blockers, which means they will put one guy on him, but that leaves another blocker free to get to our linebackers. If RJF can win his one-on-one battles, they may consider putting another body on him. Only then will the loss of Justin Smith not be so huge. If he can't win those one-on-one battles, our defense will suffer mightily.

I want RJF to become a dominant player, but losing Justin Smith cannot be thought of as a "no big deal, we have another guy who will fill in" situation.

The job is to get pressure on the quarterback, and RJF was more effectiv e than cowboy vs the patriots. Since when was the job to get blocked by linemen? lol every one of our defensive linemen are trying to get to the QB and stop the run, thats it.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
What are you basing this on?

He rubbed his elbow in a counterclockwise motion. Indicating an eight week injury.
Share 49ersWebzone