There are 179 users in the forums

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

I do think he is one of the league's best in any position but I don't think it will hurt the run defence too much. I do think it will hurt one big thing.. Aldon's record hunt! :O Even if it does hurt Aldon's sack record chase, I'm not sure it will hurt the niners chances of winning, cuz I don't expect them to getting a huge number of sacks anyway, and some of the less well known members of the defense have stepped up and will step up tonight.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Cowboy is a huge loss but I think RJF will play more than well enough so that you won't notice JS's absence (like Larry Grant did last year when P-Willy went out). He has started due to injury and has played both DE and NT and played well last week.

I'm sure the announcers will screw up his name tho
collinsworth hates us. last week he actually had to do a replay of our num nuts kicker making the last field goal,,, i swear to god he was crying that we made it. He really sounded like he was trying to will the kick to miss
The defense just has to step up, Hopefully we added a lineman to the roster for depth. RJ Francois is formidable. I do remember hearing after the NE game, that we went zone defense, because of the score, and because we were tired. Just so happens JS left with his injury at that time. Maybe the big dropoff in defense wasnt as bad as we thought! The loss of JS is still huge! We have a little more offense this time around against Seattle. Harbaugh is 3 -0 against them, and I would like to see a decisive beating of the hawks tonight, just because of who their coach is! ROMP!
What the eff is wrong with Smith? Why won't they release the efffin MRI results?
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
What the eff is wrong with Smith? Why won't they release the efffin MRI results?

Why would they? No reason to lose the advantage of opposing coaches not knowing whether he'll play.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

Why would they? No reason to lose the advantage of opposing coaches not knowing whether he'll play.

?? What's the point? He plays -- they double team him. He doesn't -- they don't.

?? What's the point? He plays -- they double team him. He doesn't -- they don't.

Because you have a larger repertoire of plays and blocking schemes you can implement if you're not stuck doubleteaming on every play. And you need to practice said plays.

Harbaugh's job is to win, not to make sure fans are promptly informed of players' injuries.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

Report: #49ers hoping Justin Smith is back for playoffs...http://sacb.ee/Y3sMff
When Smith was questionable, line was Niners -1. Since its become clearer he's not playing, it's moved to Seahawks -2.

Because you have a larger repertoire of plays and blocking schemes you can implement if you're not stuck doubleteaming on every play. And you need to practice said plays.

Harbaugh's job is to win, not to make sure fans are promptly informed of players' injuries.

exactly. belilcheck is a great coach and he never lets any info out on injuries. we could go back to a guy like sing who lets you know and loses if you'd like.

When Smith was questionable, line was Niners -1. Since its become clearer he's not playing, it's moved to Seahawks -2.

What does that mean? I don't bet on sports unless it's between friends.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Cowboy is a huge loss but I think RJF will play more than well enough so that you won't notice JS's absence (like Larry Grant did last year when P-Willy went out). He has started due to injury and has played both DE and NT and played well last week.

I'm sure the announcers will screw up his name tho

Not gonna happen. Justin Smith is much more important to our defense than PW is. I'm not saying RJF won't hold his own, or that he's not a capable player, but you can't replace the best defensive lineman in football (even if it's with a good player).

I have no idea how bad this is gonna hurt us, but I think it will. I expect Seattle to take it to our defensive line at times tonight.

I believe our offense, behind CK, will score enough to win though.
So now he goes from looking like he is fine, to then questionable, to then doubtful, to out and now they they HOPE he will be back for the playoffs. That is not good. I get so sick of all of the bs when it comes to injuries. I still don't think I have heard a full explanation of Hunters injury or the severity. First it was an ankle, then MM had to report that he heard it was the Achilles.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:

What does that mean? I don't bet on sports unless it's between friends.

Basically we went from being a 1 point favorite to a 2 point underdog.
He is the biggest difference maker on the team.

We'll get some real insight to our subs and the quality of their play.
Share 49ersWebzone