LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How big of a loss will Justin Smith be if he doesn't play?

• THEB
  • Veteran
If im being honest, when Cowboy came out of the game last week, what i saw out there in RJF was a more explosive, stronger, and faster liineman than i have seen in that position all year. Cowboy wasnt really getting too much pressure on Brady then RJF came in and sacked him within a coup-le plays of being in the game.

Im not at all worried about cowboy being out. Sure i would prefer him to be in because of my loyalty to him, but RJF is more than capable IMO.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
So now he goes from looking like he is fine, to then questionable, to then doubtful, to out and now they they HOPE he will be back for the playoffs. That is not good. I get so sick of all of the bs when it comes to injuries. I still don't think I have heard a full explanation of Hunters injury or the severity. First it was an ankle, then MM had to report that he heard it was the Achilles.

Hunter had an Achilles tendon tear...which is posterior and medial to the malleoli...aka, the ankles. It's easy to see how one would might think it was an ankle injury based on the area they were working in...

As for Justin Smith...I think he has a very significant, 6-8 week injury to his triceps. Hopefully with 4 weeks (with a bye week off), he can be back to 75-85% with good workout of surrounding muscles. We don't need him vs Az.
Originally posted by THEB:
If im being honest, when Cowboy came out of the game last week, what i saw out there in RJF was a more explosive, stronger, and faster liineman than i have seen in that position all year. Cowboy wasnt really getting too much pressure on Brady then RJF came in and sacked him within a coup-le plays of being in the game.

Im not at all worried about cowboy being out. Sure i would prefer him to be in because of my loyalty to him, but RJF is more than capable IMO.

This makes no sense to say. With him in for 2.5 quarters, we allowed 3 points. He leaves, we immediately allow TD's on the next FOUR drives

by the way, does anyone know if there are any d-linemen in NFL history before Justin that started more than 185 games in a row. Because if not, Justin may have the most impressive consecutive starts streak in the history of sports.

If I'm being honest, this might be the stupidest post of the past 2 years. Congrats.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kap2crab:
This makes no sense to say. With him in for 2.5 quarters, we allowed 3 points. He leaves, we immediately allow TD's on the next FOUR drives

by the way, does anyone know if there are any d-linemen in NFL history before Justin that started more than 185 games in a row. Because if not, Justin may have the most impressive consecutive starts streak in the history of sports.

Because we switched to prevent defense and got ripped apart by Brady. dont try to make it seem like one lineman was the sole reason for a 28 point comeback Its no secret that the Prevent is what killed us.
Originally posted by kap2crab:

Please. Those four TD's in 14 minutes had much more to do with the fact that the Niners went into a soft zone against an explosive offense than any one substitution on the defensive line. Yes, Justin Smith is a great player and yes, he's a key player on the defensive line. But, his absence wasn't the main reason for the TD explosion.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So now he goes from looking like he is fine, to then questionable, to then doubtful, to out and now they they HOPE he will be back for the playoffs. That is not good. I get so sick of all of the bs when it comes to injuries. I still don't think I have heard a full explanation of Hunters injury or the severity. First it was an ankle, then MM had to report that he heard it was the Achilles.

Hunter had an Achilles tendon tear...which is posterior and medial to the malleoli...aka, the ankles. It's easy to see how one would might think it was an ankle injury based on the area they were working in...

As for Justin Smith...I think he has a very significant, 6-8 week injury to his triceps. Hopefully with 4 weeks (with a bye week off), he can be back to 75-85% with good workout of surrounding muscles. We don't need him vs Az.

Thanks. Yeah, the more hemming and hawing that kept going on when discussing his status made me nervous. I guess i should only feel comforrable when JH says "we dodged a bullet". I really hope its not a 6-8 weeker.
Do you by chance know the severity of Hunters tear? I have yet to find anything.
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Thanks. Yeah, the more hemming and hawing that kept going on when discussing his status made me nervous. I guess i should only feel comforrable when JH says "we dodged a bullet". I really hope its not a 6-8 weeker.
Do you by chance know the severity of Hunters tear? I have yet to find anything.

No I haven't looked into it yet but def worth finding out. I'm really hoping it's not 6-8 weeker either for JS.

You gotta think he's actually hurt pretty bad to hold him out. Dude has played like 185 straight games at D lineman...insane.

If you're being serious this may be the POTY.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Losing the best DE in football will always be a big loss. But RJF has some serious talent against the run. I'm looking forward to seeing him work tonight.

Talking they are hoping he is back for playoffs. Hoping? Sounds like the injury is pretty serious.
Well there goes Aldon's sack record.
I think we will be fine. V. Fangio won't call the game any different. Ricky Jean will fill in nicely
WE GOT THIS GUYS!! DONT WORRY
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Talking they are hoping he is back for playoffs. Hoping? Sounds like the injury is pretty serious.

Which is why we gotta get that bye; I'm assuming it's a minor tear of the bicep, we don't wanna risk it until then most likely.
Share 49ersWebzone