There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Two QBs.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by spizzy:
If we let Alex go, Josh Johnson will be back. Book it
i guess that would not be tragic. i do not want to spend a draft choice on a rookie and there is no need for that. lets us remove, vick, sanchez and jesus from the conversation. is there someone other than josh we could bring in next year. you know vet who is more than respectable who will not get all bent ouf of shape if he does not start and knows his role? if there is no alex and ck gets hurt, we are screwed,, despite the love some have for the kid
Originally posted by cciowa:
i guess that would not be tragic. i do not want to spend a draft choice on a rookie and there is no need for that. lets us remove, vick, sanchez and jesus from the conversation. is there someone other than josh we could bring in next year. you know vet who is more than respectable who will not get all bent ouf of shape if he does not start and knows his role? if there is no alex and ck gets hurt, we are screwed,, despite the love some have for the kid

Part of what I'm arguing is that there is indeed a need to get another QB. Unless we retain Smith. To your point. If we don't have Alex a 2nd QB then we need to find someone else because as you point out. "If there is no Alex and CK gets hurt, we are screwed."
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VA49er:

Part of what I'm arguing is that there is indeed a need to get another QB. Unless we retain Smith. To your point. If we don't have Alex a 2nd QB then we need to find someone else because as you point out. "If there is no Alex and CK gets hurt, we are screwed."
agree. I am not big on using a draft choice to draft a rookie but as long as we have a decent back up who can come in , not hurt us and make some plays to help us I guess it does not matter to me. We have that now with alex but we know that will not be the same picture next year at this time,, or at least it should not be
agree. I am not big on using a draft choice to draft a rookie but as long as we have a decent back up who can come in , not hurt us and make some plays to help us I guess it does not matter to me. We have that now with alex but we know that will not be the same picture next year at this time,, or at least it should not be

People keep telling me I'm nuts. But why not just keep Smith? You can't let him walk. At a minimum you need to get draft picks for him. It's interesting. But I'm not sure the best bang for the buck isn't just to hang on to Alex Smith. You can get some picks for him probably but can you replace him with those picks? It's going to be interesting. It proves one thing. The Alex Smith gambit by Harbaugh and Baalke was genius. You drafted your future in Kaepernick, it panned out, you bet your present on Smith, it panned out. Now you get to have your cake and eat it too because now you actually have the luxury of keeping both or dealing one, (barring something bizare that's Smith right now) in return for something which likely seem significant.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
People keep telling me I'm nuts. But why not just keep Smith? You can't let him walk. At a minimum you need to get draft picks for him. It's interesting. But I'm not sure the best bang for the buck isn't just to hang on to Alex Smith. You can get some picks for him probably but can you replace him with those picks? It's going to be interesting. It proves one thing. The Alex Smith gambit by Harbaugh and Baalke was genius. You drafted your future in Kaepernick, it panned out, you bet your present on Smith, it panned out. Now you get to have your cake and eat it too because now you actually have the luxury of keeping both or dealing one, (barring something bizare that's Smith right now) in return for something which likely seem significant.
smith would not be happy on the bench, we really do not need that drama on our team for a second year in a row,,, plus i would lose all respect for alex smith if he lowered himself to be a bench player for the rest of his life after what he did last year and some of this year.
smith would not be happy on the bench, we really do not need that drama on our team for a second year in a row,,, plus i would lose all respect for alex smith if he lowered himself to be a bench player for the rest of his life after what he did last year and some of this year.

It's not real drama in my mind. Plus it isn't alex smith's decision. If I were Alex I would bolt elsewhere but it isn't his call as we have him under contract.
Originally posted by spizzy:
If we let Alex go, Josh Johnson will be back. Book it

I fully expect this as well.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Harbaugh speaks highly of Tolzien and I believe that he is sincere about that. So, yes, I believe that he is "enough of a commodity". Actually, I don't think that Alex is a good fit as back-up. He's a very different style of QB from Kaepernick and wouldn't be comfortable making the kind of throws that this offense is trending towards with Kaepernick at the helm. But I think that Tolzien would. I just don't see the Niners wanting Alex back.

Athleticism, smarts and instincts are important for this offense. Great size and great arm strength are a bonus, but not essential.

I'm not a draft guru, but as the draft nears, we'll see obvious candidates pop up. Baalke will identify them for sure.

I agree with you. Wouldn't touch VY . . . lacks in the smarts department IMO. With a lot of coaching from Harbaugh, MV could run this offense probably, but I doubt that he would accept a back-up role behind a young gun and Harbaugh might be very wary of what chemistry might result. If that Oregon HC gets an NFL gig, Vick may be his guy. But he needs coaching IMO.

JJ? Maybe he is a possible third stringer. Somehow my gut tells me no. Tolzien and a 3rd "project" QB from the draft makes the most sense to me. We'll see.

Let's not forget that Alex is 6-4 and is very athletic. He does lack arm strength but only in comparison to Kaepernick. His lack of deep play ability is 1 part arm and two parts unwillingness. The offense doesn't change that much in terms of concepts and play calls Smith vs. Kaepernick. It's mostly decisions and after the snap stuff.

Yes . . . I do agree with you. It's in the head.

It's not real drama in my mind. Plus it isn't alex smith's decision. If I were Alex I would bolt elsewhere but it isn't his call as we have him under contract.

The Niners will not take up Alex's contract at $8.25 million as a back-up. It's too much.

Don't be so dismissive of Tolzien. He'll have been in the system for two years. Harbaugh has said that he's a starting caliber QB and I believe that he means it.

Some are saying JJ. I say "no way". He's been in the league for a while now and he's not been able to cut it. It's a waste of a spot for a third-stringer; someone, a draftee, you bring in to develop and maybe you strike gold. Good, confident coaches do that and Harbaugh is one of those, I believe.