LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Two QBs.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Tolzien haters!!!
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Tolzien haters!!!

Not at all, but if Alex is gone, then we only have 2 QBs. And we generally have 3.
Tolzien haters!!!

give a guy a chance before you try to bring in someone better and he knows our system better than any other qb in the league
Originally posted by VA49er:
I haven't really watched any college football this year. There always seems to be a pro style athlete available like Wilson somewhere. Is that guy out there anywhere? Ideally we could take someone in a late round I'm just not sure what's out there.

Sean Mannion at Oregon State is someone I've had my eye on. He's only a sophomore and he now comes with injury baggage (knee), but he seems to have a pretty good head, a nice arm, quickly developing pocket awareness, and size (6'5"). He's played for two seasons behind a really poor pass blocking O-line, so he's had to lay it all out on the table. He hasn't been able to hide anything. He kinda reminds me a bit of Eli Manning at this point; nothing really jumps out at you as spectacular, but he does most everything well--and frequently surprises you with his arm. He has a tendency to occasionally float balls or launch a wounded duck, but he's also just as frequently running for his life. Clearly, he's not NFL ready, but I think he's worth keeping an eye on. And for what it's worth, he's a local boy from Foothill High.
If we let Alex go, Josh Johnson will be back. Book it
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
It's definitely a good idea to draft a QB, especially with the bevy of picks this year. Unfortunately, we don't know what we have in Tolzien, other than Harbaugh saying he was a starting quality QB (and how can possibly question Harbaugh!).

Harbaugh has been saying Kaepernick was ready to play. People didn't believe it for whatever reason. He was right, obviously. There is no reason not to believe he is right about Tolzien as well.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Tolzien, from what he's shown with his demeanor, could prove out to be a very good back-up. Very poised with no deer-in-the-headlight tendencies.

For obvious reasons, it's always ideal when starter and back-up have similar skill sets. That's where Tolzien comes up a little short; he's a demeanor match, but he's not as athletic and therefore not a running threat. If that's essential to the Niner's offensive strategy going forward, Baalke is going to have to find someone in the draft for Harbaugh to coach up.

So do you think Tolzien is enough of a commodity to go forward with if Smith leaves the team? I would also like to have an athletic option for the position as well. Is there a player in the draft or in FA that could do that for us? It seems like it would be hard to replicate Kaep's skill set. Alex is pretty athletic. I don't think we need a 6-5 cannon arm rangy runner to keep the offense intact. I think Kaep's height helps him make the down field read's faster but maybe that isn't as important as just being able to run.

Take free agency do you go with a Vince Young or Mike Vick? VY seems like damaged goods? Then again look at what Cousins can do in the redskins offense.

Harbaugh speaks highly of Tolzien and I believe that he is sincere about that. So, yes, I believe that he is "enough of a commodity". Actually, I don't think that Alex is a good fit as back-up. He's a very different style of QB from Kaepernick and wouldn't be comfortable making the kind of throws that this offense is trending towards with Kaepernick at the helm. But I think that Tolzien would. I just don't see the Niners wanting Alex back.

Athleticism, smarts and instincts are important for this offense. Great size and great arm strength are a bonus, but not essential.

I'm not a draft guru, but as the draft nears, we'll see obvious candidates pop up. Baalke will identify them for sure.

I agree with you. Wouldn't touch VY . . . lacks in the smarts department IMO. With a lot of coaching from Harbaugh, MV could run this offense probably, but I doubt that he would accept a back-up role behind a young gun and Harbaugh might be very wary of what chemistry might result. If that Oregon HC gets an NFL gig, Vick may be his guy. But he needs coaching IMO.

JJ? Maybe he is a possible third stringer. Somehow my gut tells me no. Tolzien and a 3rd "project" QB from the draft makes the most sense to me. We'll see.
Tolzien must have stuck around this long for a reason. I have a feeling he'd impress if he had to step in. I hope we never have to find out. I assume we'll draft a third stringer on day 3.
I think we draft another QB.

with the way the league is going, you need an explosive playmaker at QB. If Kap went down next year, how long could Tolzien start for?

You're better off following the redskins model and load up on young arms

Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Alex deserves to start somewhere next year,no way;the way he has played last year and this year should he be our back up Qb.

Tell that to Steve Young. I'm with you that he deserves to start somewhere. But This is a business and If I'm Baalke I think real hard about paying Smith that money to keep him around. The odds that Kaep gets hurt are just so high.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Harbaugh speaks highly of Tolzien and I believe that he is sincere about that. So, yes, I believe that he is "enough of a commodity". Actually, I don't think that Alex is a good fit as back-up. He's a very different style of QB from Kaepernick and wouldn't be comfortable making the kind of throws that this offense is trending towards with Kaepernick at the helm. But I think that Tolzien would. I just don't see the Niners wanting Alex back.

Athleticism, smarts and instincts are important for this offense. Great size and great arm strength are a bonus, but not essential.

I'm not a draft guru, but as the draft nears, we'll see obvious candidates pop up. Baalke will identify them for sure.

I agree with you. Wouldn't touch VY . . . lacks in the smarts department IMO. With a lot of coaching from Harbaugh, MV could run this offense probably, but I doubt that he would accept a back-up role behind a young gun and Harbaugh might be very wary of what chemistry might result. If that Oregon HC gets an NFL gig, Vick may be his guy. But he needs coaching IMO.

JJ? Maybe he is a possible third stringer. Somehow my gut tells me no. Tolzien and a 3rd "project" QB from the draft makes the most sense to me. We'll see.

Let's not forget that Alex is 6-4 and is very athletic. He does lack arm strength but only in comparison to Kaepernick. His lack of deep play ability is 1 part arm and two parts unwillingness. The offense doesn't change that much in terms of concepts and play calls Smith vs. Kaepernick. It's mostly decisions and after the snap stuff.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Tolzien haters!!!

Not at all, but if Alex is gone, then we only have 2 QBs. And we generally have 3.

This is a good point. I think we have to assume that Tolzien is in the mix regardless of any other outcome. We made a pretty bold move to bring him here and then he beat out JJ in the preseason. Scott has shown something to the coaches, and something more than we have likely seen. However I think it's a foregone conclusion we bring in third QB.
This is a good point. I think we have to assume that Tolzien is in the mix regardless of any other outcome. We made a pretty bold move to bring him here and then he beat out JJ in the preseason. Scott has shown something to the coaches, and something more than we have likely seen. However I think it's a foregone conclusion we bring in third QB.

If Smith goes we will pick up another two and narrow the field down to three for next season.

Same as it ever was.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

"two qbs at the same time, man"
Share 49ersWebzone