LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Two QBs.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This didn't seem to fit under a straight Kaepernick thread or a Straight Smith thread. BLUF. We need two QBs moving forward.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/12/kaepernick-wins-nfc-player-of-the-week.html

I was reading this article and it confirmed something I was thinking about quite a bit recently. Some of our BEST years were years when we had two guys in the stable. Heck, you can add to the list here by going back to DeBerg-Montana. There was also the Years we had Grbac as a back up. The media loves QB controversy but I think teams thrive off of this. There has never been a magic year where Qbs survive the injury bug in the NFL. People mocked the skins for taking Cousins when they already had RGIII but look how that turned out. The list goes on in NFL history (Skins, Giants, Pats, all won big with "backups") and currently (Patriots, Seahawks, niners, Redskins and more have taken the "luxury of a good #2 who is filling in admirably or starting) but that belongs on the NFL threads.

In my perfect world I would love to keep Smith on this team. It's not likely to happen but we are a better team with both of these guys on the roster. The default position is that we will cut or trade smith. I think we forget that that is purely a "financial" determination for the team. That being said Smith wouldn't be the most expensive backup in the world. I would look very hard at the option of retaining Smith next year if I was Baalke. Regardless I would not let Smith go without a real plan for the backup for Kaep.

That might be Tolizien. It might be a draft pick. I will be curious to see what we do with the position moving forward. We certainly have the luxury of signing smith, though that would make things "tight" with the Cap but not impossible. I'm not real keen on grabbing free agent as the market is just too "skewed" there. I think people have forgotten that being a good backup, cassell, flynn, Skelton, etc is sometimes just being a good backup. Everyone seems to get paid too much based on too little info. In which case I would say the draft may also be the answer. There aren't any "can't miss" prospects this year. Geno Smith won't be there and I wouldn't touch matt Barkley with a 10 foot pole. See every other USC QB. That being said there are some intriguing possibilities out there and we have the luxury to draft QB if we choose.

The intriguing thing about these I named is they are 2nd to 3rd round prospects with SIZE which might be an interesting way to go to have another big rangy guy to back up Kaep.

Mike Glennon QB North Carolina 6-5 232 2nd rd. prospect
Tyler Bray QB Tennessee 6-5 215 2nd round prospect
Zac Dysert QB Miami (Ohio) 6-3 228 2nd-3rd round prospect
Landry Jones QB Oklahoma 6-4 220 2nd-3rd round prospect
[ Edited by VA49er on Dec 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM ]
Good post.

To add a little bit, Steve Bono was also a very good back-up QB.

I think we'll trade Alex to an AFC team. It would be smart to keep him far away. He knows too much.

Tolzien is our # 2. He has a couple of years in the system and knows the intricacies of the BIG playbook.

I think we''ll draft q QB 4-6 rounds. Sorrensen in the 4th would be a good pick up.
It's definitely a good idea to draft a QB, especially with the bevy of picks this year. Unfortunately, we don't know what we have in Tolzien, other than Harbaugh saying he was a starting quality QB (and how can possibly question Harbaugh!).
THIS THREAD SHALL REMAIN OPEN AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT EVOLVE INTO A QB DEBATE BETWEEN AS AND KAEP.

@kidash98-Amen mr. moderator! My intent is to discuss the necessity of having two good QBs and how we execute that moving forward. This only flows forward from a complete assumption that Kaep is the starter. Other wise the solution is quite simple.

@lasvegaswally- I believe Bono was mentioned in the article among dynamic duos of 49ers QBs so I left him out of the post. You can always draft a QB in late rounds. Part of me thinks we need to move before the 4th round. Unless the scouts have a Tom Brady hiding out there. Seems safer to take a guy in the second or third. I don't want to mess around with a project as the #2 guy. At least not a total project.
2 Chicken ?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
2 girls
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
we have the Lord-God-King!

/thread
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by boast:

/thread

Tolzien, from what he's shown with his demeanor, could prove out to be a very good back-up. Very poised with no deer-in-the-headlight tendencies.

For obvious reasons, it's always ideal when starter and back-up have similar skill sets. That's where Tolzien comes up a little short; he's a demeanor match, but he's not as athletic and therefore not a running threat. If that's essential to the Niner's offensive strategy going forward, Baalke is going to have to find someone in the draft for Harbaugh to coach up.
OK? So anyone want to talk about how we keep two great QBs on this team? or groom a new backup via trade the draft or Tolzien?
Originally posted by VA49er:
OK? So anyone want to talk about how we keep two great QBs on this team? or groom a new backup via trade the draft or Tolzien?

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by boast:

/thread

• boast
  • Hella Fame
it could be possible that the team could invite JJ back to camp next year, too
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Tolzien, from what he's shown with his demeanor, could prove out to be a very good back-up. Very poised with no deer-in-the-headlight tendencies.

For obvious reasons, it's always ideal when starter and back-up have similar skill sets. That's where Tolzien comes up a little short; he's a demeanor match, but he's not as athletic and therefore not a running threat. If that's essential to the Niner's offensive strategy going forward, Baalke is going to have to find someone in the draft for Harbaugh to coach up.

So do you think Tolzien is enough of a commodity to go forward with if Smith leaves the team? I would also like to have an athletic option for the position as well. Is there a player in the draft or in FA that could do that for us? It seems like it would be hard to replicate Kaep's skill set. Alex is pretty athletic. I don't think we need a 6-5 cannon arm rangy runner to keep the offense intact. I think Kaep's height helps him make the down field read's faster but maybe that isn't as important as just being able to run.

Take free agency do you go with a Vince Young or Mike Vick? VY seems like damaged goods? Then again look at what Cousins can do in the redskins offense.
Share 49ersWebzone