There are 149 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Amir:
Why do we even have a thread about a backup QB? serious question. what is there to discuss?

super duper mega mighty morphin thunderzord THIS ^

if it so worthless why do you bother coming on and even reading it?
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I have always felt that Alex Smith is totally capable of making long throws, but he plays with such a conservative mindset that he doesn't attempt them as much as some people think he should. Long after Norv Turner was not on the team and didn't need to stroke Smith's ego, Turner was still telling interviewers that Smith could make all the throws an NFL QB had to make. I still remember how he would throw a beautiful deep ball now and then when he first started - there were a couple to Antonio Bryant that were things of beauty. But, years of being slammed by bad coaches, multiple shoulder injuries, second-guessing himself on mistakes for which he had to take total blame may have a way of making a player more careful. The only thing I have found lacking in Alex Smith's game is his conservative mindset, but some teams are going to relish that trait in a QB.

antonio bryant was before the 2 shoulder surgeries
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by JW40NINER:
Sorry, man. Majority of the league sees it. A few people don't. Alex Smith and his 70% will not be coveted highly. If it is, it will be a contract that's easy to get out of.

Who is the majority of the league? Alex Smith and his completion percentage will be highly coveted. Teams don't ignore those figures unless they've already got somebody that's doing that well or better. The whole thing rests on when the Niners release him and if he wants to go to the team to which he's traded. Smith's made every kind of throw required of him, even deep passes to Crabtree. Sometimes it's about what the defense gives a QB, not whether he can make the throw.

Shaun Hill can make 90% of the throws the NFL requires...under comfortable surroundings. Teams don't desire this. Alex is in a similar category. He requires comfortable surroundings. He is easy to replace. Look at this year, he was a top 5-10 QB statistically, yet a 2nd year QB came in and not only replaced Alex's production but gave the team an extra edge.

We won't know until Alex tests the market...again.

[ Edited by hofer36 on Dec 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM ]
Sorry, man. Majority of the league sees it. A few people don't. Alex Smith and his 70% will not be coveted highly. If it is, it will be a contract that's easy to get out of.

Who is the majority of the league? Alex Smith and his completion percentage will be highly coveted. Teams don't ignore those figures unless they've already got somebody that's doing that well or better. The whole thing rests on when the Niners release him and if he wants to go to the team to which he's traded. Smith's made every kind of throw required of him, even deep passes to Crabtree. Sometimes it's about what the defense gives a QB, not whether he can make the throw.

Shaun Hill can make 90% of the throws the NFL requires...under comfortable surroundings. Teams don't desire this. Alex is in a similar category. He requires comfortable surroundings. He is easy to replace. Look at this year, he was a top 5-10 QB statistically, yet a 2nd year QB came in and not only replaced Alex's production but gave the team an extra edge.

any extra edge given is as a runner not a passer=avg yards per game, tds per game ae all even or less= hell the new guy hasnt even done enough to merit being called mr 299---maybe mr 248
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Firstly, Alex is a class act. Most people wouldn't be able to handle this the way he has. And in saying that, I honestly don't believe our team is that much different with Kap. Outside of scrambling, Kap has done nothing Alex couldn't have done. You can rip me for th at all you won't, but thats how I honestly feel. The major difference is the hype. A hand full of starts and everyone wants to annoint him the next coming of Favre, Montana, etc. No reason he can't be that good, but let's wait for it all to play out.

I would even go so far to say that I would rather roll with Alex than Kap at this point. Alex is only 3 years older - still a very young guy. And he is coming into his own. The 105 offensive coordinators and a ripped shoulder, let alone playing with a poor team, contributed to his lack of success. With Alex, you know what you're going to get. Time will tell, but with Kap, it looks like it might be extreme highs and extreme lows. I would prefer the latter and considering Harbaugh's conservative nature, not sure why he would disagree. However, all coaches are ego maniac's. Kap was drafted by Harbaugh and thus he is his guy. Coaches live and die with the QB they drafted.

I'm a Niner fan first and for most, so I hope we can win the big one. But, if I'm completely honest, I think the situation was poorly managed when it didn't need to happen. Are we better post QB switch? Maybe. But, I really don't think so. And when it comes to the playoffs, I would rather put my faith with Smith. Nothing against Kap, just lack of experience at this point (all experience, not just playoff tested).

Alex has actaually been the more extreme up and down QB in terms of game to game ratings.

And he can't make the off balance throws... can't throw into coverage, sucks under pressure oh and he can't throw over35 yards

weong on all counts--sucks under pressure huh tell that to the saints, and get back to me when the new guy does sumthin comparable under pressure
Originally posted by hofer36:
Firstly, Alex is a class act. Most people wouldn't be able to handle this the way he has. And in saying that, I honestly don't believe our team is that much different with Kap. Outside of scrambling, Kap has done nothing Alex couldn't have done. You can rip me for th at all you won't, but thats how I honestly feel. The major difference is the hype. A hand full of starts and everyone wants to annoint him the next coming of Favre, Montana, etc. No reason he can't be that good, but let's wait for it all to play out.

I would even go so far to say that I would rather roll with Alex than Kap at this point. Alex is only 3 years older - still a very young guy. And he is coming into his own. The 105 offensive coordinators and a ripped shoulder, let alone playing with a poor team, contributed to his lack of success. With Alex, you know what you're going to get. Time will tell, but with Kap, it looks like it might be extreme highs and extreme lows. I would prefer the latter and considering Harbaugh's conservative nature, not sure why he would disagree. However, all coaches are ego maniac's. Kap was drafted by Harbaugh and thus he is his guy. Coaches live and die with the QB they drafted.

I'm a Niner fan first and for most, so I hope we can win the big one. But, if I'm completely honest, I think the situation was poorly managed when it didn't need to happen. Are we better post QB switch? Maybe. But, I really don't think so. And when it comes to the playoffs, I would rather put my faith with Smith. Nothing against Kap, just lack of experience at this point (all experience, not just playoff tested).

Alex has actaually been the more extreme up and down QB in terms of game to game ratings.

And he can't make the off balance throws... can't throw into coverage, sucks under pressure oh and he can't throw over35 yards

weong on all counts--sucks under pressure huh tell that to the saints, and get back to me when the new guy does sumthin comparable under pressure

I really like Alex, but I'm tired of fans holding onto the 4-5 games throughout Alex's 8 year career in which he put the team on his back to win the game.

It took me 5 games from the other guy to see that he has a much better ability to carry this offense on a much more consistent basis than Alex.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

I really like Alex, but I'm tired of fans holding onto the 4-5 games throughout Alex's 8 year career in which he put the team on his back to win the game.

It took me 5 games from the other guy to see that he has a much better ability to carry this offense on a much more consistent basis than Alex.

I would love to post a link on how clutch our starting QB has been in his 5 starts but I won't because I enjoy posting on this board. Unfortunately though, the past is the only thing that can be brought up regarding Alex because he is no longer the future. I admire the dude as a person but he just has a lot of limitations as a QB,
Who rides the bench will depend on who has the hotter a$$ and unfortuneatley that is alex smith this week
Alex has done a wonderful job in helping Kap in his new role.

any extra edge given is as a runner not a passer=avg yards per game, tds per game ae all even or less= hell the new guy hasnt even done enough to merit being called mr 299---maybe mr 248

I feel like no one knows me here...
Why do we even have a thread about a backup QB? serious question. what is there to discuss?

You do know there was a thread about Kaep even though Smith was the starter?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

You do know there was a thread about Kaep even though Smith was the starter?
selective memory
There's a thread about Cam Johnson and someone named Harvard Rugland (?), but some people don't think there should be a thread about an important backup QB??!! Strange.
There will always be an alex thread somewhere in the zone.... always
Share 49ersWebzone