LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JW40NINER:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Sorry, man. Majority of the league sees it. A few people don't. Alex Smith and his 70% will not be coveted highly. If it is, it will be a contract that's easy to get out of.

Who is the majority of the league? Alex Smith and his completion percentage will be highly coveted. Teams don't ignore those figures unless they've already got somebody that's doing that well or better. The whole thing rests on when the Niners release him and if he wants to go to the team to which he's traded. Smith's made every kind of throw required of him, even deep passes to Crabtree. Sometimes it's about what the defense gives a QB, not whether he can make the throw.

Shaun Hill can make 90% of the throws the NFL requires...under comfortable surroundings. Teams don't desire this. Alex is in a similar category. He requires comfortable surroundings. He is easy to replace. Look at this year, he was a top 5-10 QB statistically, yet a 2nd year QB came in and not only replaced Alex's production but gave the team an extra edge.

We won't know until Alex tests the market...again.
Sorry, man. Majority of the league sees it. A few people don't. Alex Smith and his 70% will not be coveted highly. If it is, it will be a contract that's easy to get out of.

Who is the majority of the league? Alex Smith and his completion percentage will be highly coveted. Teams don't ignore those figures unless they've already got somebody that's doing that well or better. The whole thing rests on when the Niners release him and if he wants to go to the team to which he's traded. Smith's made every kind of throw required of him, even deep passes to Crabtree. Sometimes it's about what the defense gives a QB, not whether he can make the throw.

Shaun Hill can make 90% of the throws the NFL requires...under comfortable surroundings. Teams don't desire this. Alex is in a similar category. He requires comfortable surroundings. He is easy to replace. Look at this year, he was a top 5-10 QB statistically, yet a 2nd year QB came in and not only replaced Alex's production but gave the team an extra edge.

He guna sign with the Jets and get torn up by there s**t bag media

It's about turnovers. Alex has proven that he can manage the game without making costly turnovers.That alone will make him desirable to many teams that now have turnover machines at QB. Their fortunes would change for the better with someone like Alex running the offense.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
This is a thread discussing Alex Smith, not arguing about hypothetical scenarios about who would get more money. An argument that would have negative consequences I might add.

That train has left the station.

And Kudos to the mods for splitting them up. Now I can go in either thread and read enthusiasm, instead of a cat fight. Niner Talk is enjoyable again. Woot!

As for Smith... I really think he is our best bet as a backup next year, even with the high salary. And it is up to the team, not Alex. We would still have it pretty cheap at the QB position compared to most teams. If he is willing to restructure, even better.

That said, if he wants out, I don't think we should refuse. Let him get a shot elsewhere if he wants.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Only a few months left, and this thread will FINALLY be gone for good.

Nfl talk. Not gone.
For his own sanity and that of everyone else I think Joecool should be banned from posting in Alex Smith threads. Make it happen mods!!
The Smitty is not a back up, he will rise!
Hes gonna be Joe Flacco's backup.....aand eventually their starter.....
Firstly, Alex is a class act. Most people wouldn't be able to handle this the way he has. And in saying that, I honestly don't believe our team is that much different with Kap. Outside of scrambling, Kap has done nothing Alex couldn't have done. You can rip me for that all you won't, but thats how I honestly feel. The major difference is the hype. A hand full of starts and everyone wants to annoint him the next coming of Favre, Montana, etc. No reason he can't be that good, but let's wait for it all to play out.

I would even go so far to say that I would rather roll with Alex than Kap at this point. Alex is only 3 years older - still a very young guy. And he is coming into his own. The 105 offensive coordinators and a ripped shoulder, let alone playing with a poor team, contributed to his lack of success. With Alex, you know what you're going to get. Time will tell, but with Kap, it looks like it might be extreme highs and extreme lows. I would prefer the latter and considering Harbaugh's conservative nature, not sure why he would disagree. However, all coaches are ego maniac's. Kap was drafted by Harbaugh and thus he is his guy. Coaches live and die with the QB they drafted.

I'm a Niner fan first and for most, so I hope we can win the big one. But, if I'm completely honest, I think the situation was poorly managed when it didn't need to happen. Are we better post QB switch? Maybe. But, I really don't think so. And when it comes to the playoffs, I would rather put my faith with Smith. Nothing against Kap, just lack of experience at this point (all experience, not just playoff tested).
Originally posted by UKNiners:
Firstly, Alex is a class act. Most people wouldn't be able to handle this the way he has. And in saying that, I honestly don't believe our team is that much different with Kap. Outside of scrambling, Kap has done nothing Alex couldn't have done. You can rip me for that all you won't, but thats how I honestly feel. The major difference is the hype. A hand full of starts and everyone wants to annoint him the next coming of Favre, Montana, etc. No reason he can't be that good, but let's wait for it all to play out.

I would even go so far to say that I would rather roll with Alex than Kap at this point. Alex is only 3 years older - still a very young guy. And he is coming into his own. The 105 offensive coordinators and a ripped shoulder, let alone playing with a poor team, contributed to his lack of success. With Alex, you know what you're going to get. Time will tell, but with Kap, it looks like it might be extreme highs and extreme lows. I would prefer the latter and considering Harbaugh's conservative nature, not sure why he would disagree. However, all coaches are ego maniac's. Kap was drafted by Harbaugh and thus he is his guy. Coaches live and die with the QB they drafted.

I'm a Niner fan first and for most, so I hope we can win the big one. But, if I'm completely honest, I think the situation was poorly managed when it didn't need to happen. Are we better post QB switch? Maybe. But, I really don't think so. And when it comes to the playoffs, I would rather put my faith with Smith. Nothing against Kap, just lack of experience at this point (all experience, not just playoff tested).

Yep. There's nothing wrong with stating this QB preference, and it doesn't mean the other QB is teh suxxorz.

Is what it is... and while I think karma will bite us on the arse in our quest for ring # 6? I still.. as a fan.. have to just support the team and hope for the best.

There are a number of notions that often appear on Alex threads:

One is that he will not be as good elsewhere when he does not have Harbaugh coaching him. I do not agree. Alex spent a number of years learning the hard way how to survive while dealing with serious obstacles - OC, OL, WRs.

He has learned from many, including H, and I do not think he forgets these lessons the minute he leaves. His mechanics are better, he knows how to get rid of the ball quicker, he is more accurate, he knows defenses and how to make calls at the line. He has continued to prove his detractors wrong, time and time again.

You don't end up with a 104.1 QB rating (3rd), among very good company, and ahead of some very good QBs, unless you were playing the position very well. It just doesn't happen.

Some poster argue that Alexs performance is due to H, and therefore other GMs will figure he cannot operate at the same level on their team. Do you not understand egos? Unless they are willing to admit that they are failures as GMs, they will believe that they have drafted lots of offensive talent for their team and that they have a good coaching staff, too. What they need, they will conclude, is a better, more experienced QB who will not screw things up.

Alex has actaually been the more extreme up and down QB in terms of game to game ratings.
Firstly, Alex is a class act. Most people wouldn't be able to handle this the way he has. And in saying that, I honestly don't believe our team is that much different with Kap. Outside of scrambling, Kap has done nothing Alex couldn't have done. You can rip me for th at all you won't, but thats how I honestly feel. The major difference is the hype. A hand full of starts and everyone wants to annoint him the next coming of Favre, Montana, etc. No reason he can't be that good, but let's wait for it all to play out.

Alex has actaually been the more extreme up and down QB in terms of game to game ratings.

And he can't make the off balance throws... can't throw into coverage, sucks under pressure oh and he can't throw over35 yards
Good luck....make yourself a favor ..get out from there...hope you do better whenever you go...don't trust ppl ...you may get back stab....you have handle it with class...props to you smith....
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Firstly, Alex is a class act. Most people wouldn't be able to handle this the way he has. And in saying that, I honestly don't believe our team is that much different with Kap. Outside of scrambling, Kap has done nothing Alex couldn't have done. You can rip me for th at all you won't, but thats how I honestly feel. The major difference is the hype. A hand full of starts and everyone wants to annoint him the next coming of Favre, Montana, etc. No reason he can't be that good, but let's wait for it all to play out.

And he can't make the off balance throws... can't throw into coverage, sucks under pressure oh and he can't throw over35 yards

Hate to say it but that's pretty much spot on.
Share 49ersWebzone