There are 131 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Passes that are thrown 20+ yards in the air: Alex Smith 9-18, 293 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Kaepernick 9-18, 302 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. #49ers

Even if this gets wide circulation, the myth that Alex has a noodle arm will live on. Many of us have been posting such deep ball statistical comparisons for years, and they're always ignored, dismissed, forgotten. Alex's deep ball also improved a lot over the course of the 2011 season. He had a great stretch from that Rams game when he threw a 50-yarder to Crabs (and another perfect deep ball that VD dropped in the end zone), to the deep sideline pass to Crabs in Seattle that set up the game-winning fg and then of course to his numerous bombs to VD in the playoffs. So people who claim Alex is just a game manager with no big play ability are only exposing their own ignorance. I'm excited for him to hopefully get a chance to play for an offensive-minded coach who is aggressive and will let him throw 30-35 times a game.
If Harbaugh favored more deep balls, I assume he would have let Alex know this. Most of us had been assuming Alex's conservative play was because H wanted him to play that way. Did H just decide to play conservative because Alex could not execute with the deep ball? The stats do not exactly support that. The deep ball is spectacular, but it has a low completion %. It has value to keep the defenses honest. If H has decided on Kap partly because of greater deep pass ability, we will have to see if this strategy works. We'll see.
I am hoping Alex Smith returns to the team. He loves the 49ers and is a team-first type of player. Resign him for back-up money and we set at the QB position for at least the next 2-3 years. Tolzien sits on the pine and when Alex finally exits he'll be our primary back-up.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by excelsior:
If Harbaugh favored more deep balls, I assume he would have let Alex know this. Most of us had been assuming Alex's conservative play was because H wanted him to play that way. Did H just decide to play conservative because Alex could not execute with the deep ball? The stats do not exactly support that. The deep ball is spectacular, but it has a low completion %. It has value to keep the defenses honest. If H has decided on Kap partly because of greater deep pass ability, we will have to see if this strategy works. We'll see.

I think it's a mental thing. Alex looks for the shorter passes first. The safer passes. Kaep. looks deep first then underneath. Alex was fine with taking what defenses gave him. Kaep is more assertive.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Dec 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM ]
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
I am hoping Alex Smith returns to the team. He loves the 49ers and is a team-first type of player. Resign him for back-up money and we set at the QB position for at least the next 2-3 years. Tolzien sits on the pine and when Alex finally exits he'll be our primary back-up.

Alex wont waste his talent being a backup QB especially when there are teams with dumpster fires at QB and will be looking to replace them this offseason. Alex will go somewhere and make starter money. Hes not stupid.
Originally posted by vaden:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Passes that are thrown 20+ yards in the air: Alex Smith 9-18, 293 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. Kaepernick 9-18, 302 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT. #49ers

Even if this gets wide circulation, the myth that Alex has a noodle arm will live on. Many of us have been posting such deep ball statistical comparisons for years, and they're always ignored, dismissed, forgotten. Alex's deep ball also improved a lot over the course of the 2011 season. He had a great stretch from that Rams game when he threw a 50-yarder to Crabs (and another perfect deep ball that VD dropped in the end zone), to the deep sideline pass to Crabs in Seattle that set up the game-winning fg and then of course to his numerous bombs to VD in the playoffs. So people who claim Alex is just a game manager with no big play ability are only exposing their own ignorance. I'm excited for him to hopefully get a chance to play for an offensive-minded coach who is aggressive and will let him throw 30-35 times a game.

Not impressed with Alex's stats on this because we all saw how defenses played our offense when Smith was in. They stacked the box and dared us to throw the deep ball. Alex had much easier coverage to deal with on his deep balls. In fact, he still wouldn't throw some wide open ones.

Do you know which team did that to Colin: Bears. Imagine if Colin goes up against teams that stack the box and play man.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM ]
So yeah with Alexs progression last year he should have exploded and then he would have kept his job. whatever to that... Alex had the best game in the league this year(buf) and then went 18-19(ari). he is still third in qb rating. If that isnt playing to keep your job idk what is. OK you say the NY game or whateevr poor performance games and i say If alex had had the fummbles that Kaep has had the story would be man this guy is going to get us killed in the playoffs. The point is that Alex has drained all of us over the years with bad, great, but mostly up and down play. Noone can complain about this switch and you must admit alex was playing great this year on average but its been a long time comming. too bad he was beasting at the time

lol, wut
Originally posted by 49amane:
So yeah with Alexs progression last year he should have exploded and then he would have kept his job. whatever to that... Alex had the best game in the league this year(buf) and then went 18-19(ari). he is still third in qb rating. If that isnt playing to keep your job idk what is. OK you say the NY game or whateevr poor performance games and i say If alex had had the fummbles that Kaep has had the story would be man this guy is going to get us killed in the playoffs. The point is that Alex has drained all of us over the years with bad, great, but mostly up and down play. Noone can complain about this switch and you must admit alex was playing great this year on average but its been a long time comming. too bad he was beasting at the time

if i was somebody else i would be like " man that is true " but im just the same guy so all i can say is Alex Smith willc ome back next year as our offensive coordinator

Originally posted by Joecool:
Not impressed with Alex's stats on this because we all saw how defenses played our offense when Smith was in. They stacked the box and dared us to throw the deep ball. Alex had much easier coverage to deal with on his deep balls. In fact, he still wouldn't throw some wide open ones.

Do you know which team did that to Colin: Bears. Imagine if Colin goes up against teams that stack the box and play man.

Factually incorrect. Arizona specifically said they were taking away the run and the deep ball because of how he will take his shots down field...that was the game that Alex had a near perfect game.

like the rams
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Speculative at best... So just let me call BS right now.

Let's put some money on this, shall we? Whatever team Alex goes to, he performs better than the QB they have in place now.

not what I said.....

I think this team will make most QBs look functional.

I don't think CK is Dan Marino...but on this team he is pretty good. Not a coincidence every QB throwing balls this year looks good.

Lets meet in the middle.....

ill bet Alex looks worse on a diffrent team then he does for JH's 49ers.

I don't think any qb looks good on this team...and I do think Colin is the 2nd coming of Steve Young....or close to it. He's just younger and he came into a good situation...Steve came into a bad situation until he went to the niners..then he had a chance to learn and become what he became.

Depends on the team he goes to...but let's entertain this again after we see where he goes. Niners COULD force him into a POS team.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Dec 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:

like the rams

Was just going to say this.. Colin couldn't beat them when they dared him to throw. I think the idea that he's done so much better at that really is a fallacy. Not taking away anything from him, we just need to look at this objectively. I think overall it's a silly argument trying to prove who's "had it harder" to makes throws.

Except Kaep has done this in 5 starts which proves that we're pushing the ball downfield more with Kaep
Share 49ersWebzone