LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by BayArea:
If (and when) Alex gets traded, will he achieve the same level of success without Jim Harbaugh guiding him along?

I think so as long as the guy coaching him follows the same type of formula for play design and game planning. He would probably revert back to the old Alex if he was put into another situation like he had the first 7 seasons. That is why I think a place like the Jets would be suicide for Alex's career. Rex Ryan would run Alex's career straight down the toilet in a season or two.

But at least Alex wont run into his lineman's butt and fumble the ball.

lol... I definitely think he is much MUCH better than Sanchez ever will be. Just saying that whole mess with the Jets is a bad environment for Alex.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
If (and when) Alex gets traded, will he achieve the same level of success without Jim Harbaugh guiding him along?

I think so as long as the guy coaching him follows the same type of formula for play design and game planning. He would probably revert back to the old Alex if he was put into another situation like he had the first 7 seasons. That is why I think a place like the Jets would be suicide for Alex's career. Rex Ryan would run Alex's career straight down the toilet in a season or two.

lol... I definitely think he is much MUCH better than Sanchez ever will be. Just saying that whole mess with the Jets is a bad environment for Alex.
Agreed. I wouldn't want Alex anywhere near a defensive minded head coach. I wouldn't wish that on any QB really. I think the best thing for him would be to go to a team where there's a new head coach, new OC, and a willingness to build the offense around his strengths. I'd love to see what he is capable of with some crazy weapons like Brees has in New Orleans.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
That's not what I said. Stats without context mean nothing. You need to watch games as well as many things in a QB's game do not show up on the stat sheet.

Luck is a ROOKIE! He will make a lot of mistakes. Again...CONTEXT. He is playing very well for a rookie QB. He's had some poor games but has made some great plays. Then when you consider the type of offense he plays in and the responsibility he has without the benefit of a running game, he's playing quite well. There's a reason why he's up for rookie of the year along with RG3 and Wilson.

I'd say he's playing quite well with a crappy team. 2 win team to 9+ wins. When someone brings up his QB rating as to why he's not playing well there's really no point in me continuing the conversation with said person.

36 wins in the 3 seasons prior to going 2-14.

Hmm, wonder what Tebow's winning percentage was.

Context means everything. The eye test is what tells more.

That was the most embarrassing play that I have ever seen.
Originally posted by Joecool:
That's not what I said. Stats without context mean nothing. You need to watch games as well as many things in a QB's game do not show up on the stat sheet.

Luck is a ROOKIE! He will make a lot of mistakes. Again...CONTEXT. He is playing very well for a rookie QB. He's had some poor games but has made some great plays. Then when you consider the type of offense he plays in and the responsibility he has without the benefit of a running game, he's playing quite well. There's a reason why he's up for rookie of the year along with RG3 and Wilson.

I'd say he's playing quite well with a crappy team. 2 win team to 9+ wins. When someone brings up his QB rating as to why he's not playing well there's really no point in me continuing the conversation with said person.

ALEX SMITH FOLKS! NOT TEBOW, NOT SANCHEZ, NOT KAEP.......... ALEX SMITH.

Originally posted by Furlow:

Agreed. I wouldn't want Alex anywhere near a defensive minded head coach. I wouldn't wish that on any QB really. I think the best thing for him would be to go to a team where there's a new head coach, new OC, and a willingness to build the offense around his strengths. I'd love to see what he is capable of with some crazy weapons like Brees has in New Orleans.

I doubt Alex will take advantage of his new targets, unlike Brees who isnt afraid to be pass happy.
Originally posted by kidash98:

ALEX SMITH FOLKS! NOT TEBOW, NOT SANCHEZ, NOT KAEP.......... ALEX SMITH.

No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.

harbaugh isnt the only good qb coach

eye test is subjective so it will never lead to any provable definete conclusion
Originally posted by redblunder:
Aaron Rogers said Alex Smith needs to go someplace where he is appreciated. I agree with that. Harabagh has shown a side of football that really sucks. The money hungry win at any cost attitude. Where players are treated like object to make rich men richer and their health and well being means nothing. Harabagh doesn't care about the health of his players, the careers of his players or the image of the NFL around the world. Just like the movie "Any Given Sunday" its not about the "hot Hand" its about how the game is played for not just for the children around the world that watch, but for all those who sacrificed in the past. Jim Harbagh just wants to win at all cost no matter who he uses and gets rid of along the way. I have ZERO respect for Jim Harbagh ..Zero... Good luck in your future Alex smith. You Play a hell of a year You diverse
to be treated better.

Harbaugh wasnt exactly loyal to smith, which was messed up, especially since smith was playing at a high level. Its too bad bc smith has been through so much and has been playing great these past two years when he finally gets put into a stable offensive system with coaches who know what they're doing. He is just doing what he thinks is best for team by putting in kap and that's all he cares about. Really if you want to be successful as a coach that's all you can care about. Loyalty can't be a factor. It's messed up but its the nature of the business.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

I doubt Alex will take advantage of his new targets, unlike Brees who isnt afraid to be pass happy.

Why not? Maybe the lack of weapons is why he was so unwilling to let it loose. It's not like Brees was lighting the world on fire in San Diego. Smith and Brees' stats in SD are VERY similar.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Alex Smith is the most resilient dude to ever play for the 49ers. He's been told that he can't play in the NFL by pretty much every sports critic out there. He's battled through boos, injuries, and countless other negative factors. He's stuck with this team through all of that... a 49er through and through. He came out in 2011 and proved that he's a quality NFL QB that can take a team deep into the playoffs. He came out again in 2012 to prove that 2011 wasn't a fluke to become statistically one of the best QBs in the league.

All of this only to be benched through no fault of his own for a younger, cheaper, and more physically talented replacement. I have no doubt that he will dutifully back-up Kapernick through the playoffs and hopefully get a much deserved super-bowl ring in February. He helped get us to where we are. I wish him the very best!

Hope he ends up with a team that sets him up for success. The Jets would be a great option IMO (solid OL, decent defense, and Santonio Holmes).

Great post. Somehow, I don't think we've seen the last of Smith on the field as a Niner. I think he has a few great moments left in him here...

I have a similar feeling
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Harbaugh wasnt exactly loyal to smith, which was messed up, especially since smith was playing at a high level. Its too bad bc smith has been through so much and has been playing great these past two years when he finally gets put into a stable offensive system with coaches who know what they're doing. He is just doing what he thinks is best for team by putting in kap and that's all he cares about. Really if you want to be successful as a coach that's all you can care about. Loyalty can't be a factor. It's messed up but its the nature of the business.

We learned that in the 80s from Eddie D and Coach Walsh.
No, I'm replying to a post about wins being used as an argument of being good or not. Now if he would have used other more specific metrics, I just may have agreed with him.

Alex is a damn solid QB. He is a winning QB. He is not a top 10 QB. If he was, then he would be desirable across the league. There's must be more involved AROUND Alex Smith for him to be successful.

He just doesn't make players around him better. Further, he requires the players around him to play near mistake free ball for Alex to succeed.
We dont know how a lot of QB's would be without great supporting casts and coaching....Young comes to mind and even Keap. Its rare to see a QB do wonders with little help. With bad coaching and a bad supporting cast Alex played like crap, with great coaching and help he did much better.
Originally posted by hofer36:

eye test is subjective so it will never lead to any provable definete conclusion

Eye test, contract, and desirability.
Share 49ersWebzone