There are 128 users in the forums

Alex Smith Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I love how I'm pinned a hater by a select few for pointing out some legitimate concerns regarding Keap, yep those same people come in here and s**t all over a kid who isn't even starting.

sorry but thats how it goes...

so a circle jerk for the new guy while s**tting on the old one?

it happened to the AS doubters..so now it just flipped a 180..

but i do notice when AS was benched ..i haven't seen those guys post at all..i wonder if they like the 9ers still ?
Originally posted by kidash98:
And has nothing to do with Alex Smith, IMO.

Which brings me to this point..... ALEX SMITH. Not Luck, not Brees, not any other rookie QB's out there, Alex Smith.

No comparisons and no criticisms...Don't hate, appreciate!
Both of you are going to be next. Keep posting about that and you will find out. If you care to discuss it, take it to PM with me.
I love how I'm pinned a hater by a select few for pointing out some legitimate concerns regarding Keap, yep those same people come in here and s**t all over a kid who isn't even starting.

I'm offended by this. I am not circle jerking anyone
man ...people should invest in the sunday ticket and watch the league...stats only tell 20% of the story

I agree. It seems a lot of people don't actually watch other QB's play. If someone responds with a few handpicked stats to back up a QB's play, I simply can't take them seriously. There's a group of fans who clutch the QB rating and completion percentage and discard all other stats. To hear Luck is playing poorly is a complete farce. Especially when you consider that he's a rookie and is asked to go win games. There is no other rookie that has that responsibility. Not RG3, not Wilson, etc.

but i do notice when AS was benched ..i haven't seen those guys post at all..i wonder if they like the 9ers still ?
Don't you think its a little stupid that constructive criticism is now not allowed? Making one remark about an issue gets you pinned a hater.....seriously? The Keap thread is now about how he will be the next Montana and is the best thing since sliced bread. Every player can be dissected and discussed except for him, why wasn't that same standard applied 7 games ago?
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Both of you are going to be next. Keep posting about that and you will find out. If you care to discuss it, take it to PM with me.

who are you talking to?

Don't you think its a little stupid that constructive criticism is now not allowed? Making one remark about an issue gets you pinned a hater.....seriously? The Keap thread is now about how he will be the next Montana and is the best thing since sliced bread. Every player can be dissected and discussed except for him, why wasn't that same standard applied 7 games ago?

That tone was set here and its unfair to everyone.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

But when I make a point about any player is not out of hate. The only guy I hate right now is Akers and Walker. I was critical of Smith but knew many of the issues were the problems of other players. Like WR's not making an effort....see Vernon on Sunday. Blocking being bad.... etc etc.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I wish Alex was still starting for us because I still believe he gives us the best chance to win the superbowl THIS year. Kap has a lot of talent and I like him too, I'm just worried he might make some costly mistakes in the playoffs that Alex wouldn't. I was looking forward to Alex proving the haters wrong and winning the Superbowl as our starting quarterback. Anyways, I'll miss Alex Smith and hope that he succeeds wherever he is next year.

He will also make some big plays that Alex wouldn't which is why he is playing now. I wish Alex the best, he has been a classy guy through everything he has been through here but Harbaugh definitely helped resurrect his career and whatever QB hungry team that gets him (AZ, NYJ, KC, MIN), they will be better

Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
I agree. It seems a lot of people don't actually watch other QB's play. If someone responds with a few handpicked stats to back up a QB's play, I simply can't take them seriously. There's a group of fans who clutch the QB rating and completion percentage and discard all other stats. To hear Luck is playing poorly is a complete farce. Especially when you consider that he's a rookie and is asked to go win games. There is no other rookie that has that responsibility. Not RG3, not Wilson, etc.

Yea, you're right. We should just discard all stats and leave everything up to your untrained eye test.

I've watched Luck's games. He's had his moments, but he's also made a lot of mistakes, rookie or not. He's had a good season for a rookie, but I wouldn't say he was excelling despite the lackluster team around him.

Anyways, Alex Smith, what a guy.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Wish Alex the best in his future. He will start for some team next year.

Thank You Alex!

My thoughts completely. Hopefully he'll play for an AFC team, good luck (except when you play the Niners) Alex!

Agreed...class through to his soul; everything a Niner represents. I sort of hope he goes to a team with more of a spread offense and one where he can call the plays himself (ala P.Manning). He's that cerebral and I feel if he was allowed to spread out a defense with some quality receivers and a threat at RB, "he" could rip a defense apart with his brain, experience and poise. I would not be surprised to see him take off somewhere else and call the shots. Best wishes to he AND CK. I just want a win-win for everyone at this juncture...

I agree.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Alex Smith is the most resilient dude to ever play for the 49ers. He's been told that he can't play in the NFL by pretty much every sports critic out there. He's battled through boos, injuries, and countless other negative factors. He's stuck with this team through all of that... a 49er through and through. He came out in 2011 and proved that he's a quality NFL QB that can take a team deep into the playoffs. He came out again in 2012 to prove that 2011 wasn't a fluke to become statistically one of the best QBs in the league.

All of this only to be benched through no fault of his own for a younger, cheaper, and more physically talented replacement. I have no doubt that he will dutifully back-up Kapernick through the playoffs and hopefully get a much deserved super-bowl ring in February. He helped get us to where we are. I wish him the very best!

Hope he ends up with a team that sets him up for success. The Jets would be a great option IMO (solid OL, decent defense, and Santonio Holmes).

Great post. Somehow, I don't think we've seen the last of Smith on the field as a Niner. I think he has a few great moments left in him here...
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

But when I make a point about any player is not out of hate. The only guy I hate right now is Akers and Walker. I was critical of Smith but knew many of the issues were the problems of other players. Like WR's not making an effort....see Vernon on Sunday. Blocking being bad.... etc etc.

Yeah. That didn't go over to well with fans of those players.

Like i get annoyed when people hate Walker. He's a #2 tight end that makes some bad plays and also some good ones. He lead the charge on LMJ's 62 yard kick return. He blocked ilke three guys.

He also caught a deep TD pass.

But he'll get slammed for a fumble or a drop even though he's a #2 tight end... Its not like he's Jermichael Finley, who sucks even more, is a poor teamate, but is still starting, for now.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Wish Alex the best in his future. He will start for some team next year.

Thank You Alex!

My thoughts completely. Hopefully he'll play for an AFC team, good luck (except when you play the Niners) Alex!

Agreed...class through to his soul; everything a Niner represents. I sort of hope he goes to a team with more of a spread offense and one where he can call the plays himself (ala P.Manning). He's that cerebral and I feel if he was allowed to spread out a defense with some quality receivers and a threat at RB, "he" could rip a defense apart with his brain, experience and poise. I would not be surprised to see him take off somewhere else and call the shots. Best wishes to he AND CK. I just want a win-win for everyone at this juncture...

I agree.
+1
Share 49ersWebzone