There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why Do We Only Have 3 Down lineman on Defense?

Count em.

Justin, Macdonald and Soapaoga. Aldon is an OLB, why didnt they bring in atleast 2 wide bodies even if theyre fringe players just to give Justin a breather and macdonald a breather. Now i know Fancois does a decent job sometimes, but C'mon. I personally believe that thats our only weakness on Defense besides the way over rated Pat Willis. You can see Justin & the boys gasping for air towards the 3rd & 4th Quarters poor guys.
If it ain't broke.....

Of all the conversations we should not be having, what we need to change about our defense ranks at the top.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
is the 3-4 defense a new concept to you?
In a 3-4 defense, which we run, there a 3 downlinmen and 4 linebackers, hence the term, "3-4."

The linebackers, especially the outside linebackers, are supposed to provide the 4th and 5th rushers.
Guys, I think he is talking about the rotation of our d-line more than complaining that we run a 3-4. The fact that we rarely rotate out our 3 defensive linemen during a game is a legitimate concern.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
read this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3–4_defense
Dobbs, Tukuafu, Ian Williams...
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Guys, I think he is talking about the rotation of our d-line more than complaining that we run a 3-4. The fact that we rarely rotate out our 3 defensive linemen during a game is a legitimate concern.

He said Pat Willis was overrated.
this thread should be a warning
We love the 3-4 defense apparently
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:

THIS. Depth is what I meant. I like the 3-4 and the way we run the 3-4. Im just concerned about the lack of depth
Originally posted by susweel:
this thread should be a warning

I disagree, there is no rule against having a lack of knowledge of the game. The 'Zone is way to critical sometimes. In his mind he was raising a legitimate concern. Nothing he said was false or misleading. He simply did not understand that the 3-4 defensive scheme involves only 3 down lineman. With that being said I am super pumped about the strong seasons Ray Mac, Soap, and J. Smith are having!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He said Pat Willis was overrated.

That was my first thought.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home