LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 443 users in the forums

Why Do We Only Have 3 Down lineman on Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why not draft a Kendall Reyes 6'4" 305 lbs DE at #30 instead of that Jenkins kid.
This is why i stay away from NT

I think he's talking about the lack of a d-line rotation, not the defensive scheme.

We don't use a rotation because J. Smith and McDonald are awesome. The also have incredible endurance. Them tired and worn out is still more effective than our backups at the position. At least that's what it seems like.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Why not draft a Kendall Reyes 6'4" 305 lbs DE at #30 instead of that Jenkins kid.

Probably because WR was our biggest weakness last year and they thought we needed a WR more than a backup DE
Originally posted by Niners6262:

Probably because WR was our biggest weakness last year and they thought we needed a WR more than a backup DE

Ya but Moss & Manningham were already signed and AJ Jenkins is a project seems like. So why not draft a Beast of a DE at #30 because Justin cannot last 4 ever
Ya but Moss & Manningham were already signed and AJ Jenkins is a project seems like. So why not draft a Beast of a DE at #30 because Justin cannot last 4 ever

I'm sure adding talent to the D-line will be a point of emphasis in the near future. As for this past draft, the team's #1 goal during the off-season was to become more explosive on offense and add more depth to the skill positions. Injuries to the WR core really hurt us in 2011, and Gore wore down late in the year. They didn't want to be put in that position again, which is why we loaded up on RB's and WR's.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM ]

Ya but Moss and Manningham are temporary fixes, we wanted an actual receiver for the...wait for it...FUTURE.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He said Pat Willis was overrated.

That was my first thought.

Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon?
Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon? I just think Nav Bowman is better then Willis but Willis gets all the acolades. Just speakin the truth not tryin to ruffle any feathers
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Guys, I think he is talking about the rotation of our d-line more than complaining that we run a 3-4. The fact that we rarely rotate out our 3 defensive linemen during a game is a legitimate concern.

THIS. Depth is what I meant. I like the 3-4 and the way we run the 3-4. Im just concerned about the lack of depth

Well we only lacked D-line depth till now really. Not sure what will happen with Dobbs, but he and RJF would relieve Smith and Ray Mac when they needed to. We would also switch to 4 down lineman with Brooks and Smith as the ends at times, which also gives Sopoaga a breather. We also have Ian Williams in case of injury.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon? I just think Nav Bowman is better then Willis but Willis gets all the acolades. Just speakin the truth not tryin to ruffle any feathers

Yup, gotta admit Bowman has been making more plays than Willis lately.
If your referring to the DLine rotation, I feel we need to develop someone who can play at a high level. I'm not impressed w/ Dobbs, Tuk. RJF is doing a bettter job as then season goes on.

We should have let Rogers walk.. signed Goldson and drafted Janoris Jenkins with the first pick and get AJ with the 2nd..
[ Edited by CityKing415 on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
As for weaknesses, I think our only weakness is crooked ass refs calling BS penalties on us.
Originally posted by boast:
is the 3-4 defense a new concept to you?

Thank you. Yes, by all means, we need to fix something. The Niner defense is only the second best in some catagories. And just imagine how many sacks Aldon Smith would have if we had more than three down linemen!! Maybe a hundred by now, right?
Share 49ersWebzone