There are 235 users in the forums

Why Do We Only Have 3 Down lineman on Defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon? I just think Nav Bowman is better then Willis but Willis gets all the acolades. Just speakin the truth not tryin to ruffle any feathers

Yup, gotta admit Bowman has been making more plays than Willis lately.

That's a fair statement. Saying Willis is overated is not.

OP didn't really elaborate on his thoughts either. Just blurted them out.

That said I kind of agree in that we should have bolstered the DL, just not with the 30th. 3-4 DE's just aren't great value in the 1st, particularly when you have 2 starters cemented and before anyone pipes up about Justin being a 1st rounder he was selected as a 4-3 DE.
LOLOLOLOL
I liked Tukuafu and Dobbs in the Preseason games they looked like great backups. Maybe we should rotate a lil more to give the front guys a breather. That could explain the lack of explosiveness at times.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Dobbs, Tukuafu, Ian Williams...

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

band wagon fans...
Count em.

Justin, Macdonald and Soapaoga. Aldon is an OLB, why didnt they bring in atleast 2 wide bodies even if theyre fringe players just to give Justin a breather and macdonald a breather. Now i know Fancois does a decent job sometimes, but C'mon. I personally believe that thats our only weakness on Defense besides the way over rated Pat Willis. You can see Justin & the boys gasping for air towards the 3rd & 4th Quarters poor guys.

Your mother must of had you by a microwave
Bandwagoners gonna bandwagon? I just think Nav Bowman is better then Willis but Willis gets all the acolades. Just speakin the truth not tryin to ruffle any feathers

There is a case that can be made for Bowman playing better this year, There is also a case that can be made that Pats numbers are down due to the role he plays in the scheme. As for Bowman not getting his props he was on the all pro team last year, what else do you want?

The thing is you didn't say that in your OP you said Willis is overrated and I just completely disagree with that. Sorry about the bandwagon comment though, that was a lil uncalled for but it was my knee jerk reaction to reading that P-Willy is overrated and a "problem" on our defense because in my estimation that couldn't be any farther from the truth.
How many Tight Ends have Beasted out on us this year? Aside from Marshawn "THE SKIDDLEBEAST" Lynch nobody has really done any true damage. S. Jackson got some first downs per say and lets just overlook the garbage yards put up by Bradshaw.

The other teams plan against the both of these guys and specifically Patrick:
Things like sending the back into the flat in man coverage while the tight end finds a zone
Lead Blockers zero in on him in particular on both run plays and play actions
etc.

We are lucky to have Patrick and even luckier to have Bowman as his bookend.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
How did this thread make it to 3 full pages???

Originally posted by sfout:
How did this thread make it to 3 full pages???

...... with so little content?
Count em.

Justin, Macdonald and Soapaoga. Aldon is an OLB, why didnt they bring in atleast 2 wide bodies even if theyre fringe players just to give Justin a breather and macdonald a breather. Now i know Fancois does a decent job sometimes, but C'mon. I personally believe that thats our only weakness on Defense besides the way over rated Pat Willis. You can see Justin & the boys gasping for air towards the 3rd & 4th Quarters poor guys.

Just curious if u actually watch the games or just see highlights on Sportscenter...if u havent noticed our d didn't allow a TD in 4 of 5 games then gave up 8 points to the rams. Our D is not a problem what so ever. And then to say Willis is WAY OVERRATED... Lol how did u come to that conclusion? That man had over 200 tackles his rookie year n as he's gotten older he's taken on more responsibility of covering tightends n backs so his tackles r going down but in no way shape or form is he overrated.
[ Edited by cmix23 on Dec 5, 2012 at 6:25 AM ]
RJF has been very good when put into the rotation. I think the biggest problem is the coaches might not give Cowboy and McDonald enough breathers during the game. RJF can play the nose and end he could easily play 20 snaps a game between the 3 dline spots
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Guys, I think he is talking about the rotation of our d-line more than complaining that we run a 3-4. The fact that we rarely rotate out our 3 defensive linemen during a game is a legitimate concern.

THIS. Depth is what I meant. I like the 3-4 and the way we run the 3-4. Im just concerned about the lack of depth

I agree that they need to rotate more players in. Especially if the team has a huge lead llike the chicago game. The top DL alternate, RJF and Tukuafu should be rotate in more often, no doubt.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I'd like to see someone tell Justin Smith to come out of the game. lol
Share 49ersWebzone