There are 173 users in the forums

The Akers Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erha:
NEIL RACKERS why not bring this guy in for a work out he has been of the best in football for almost 10 years give him a call

Yeah, guy was like 84-94 percent for the last 4 years. Unless he really lost it. Hard to believe he is worse than guys kicking 60-70%. I am wondering why we bring in someone like Justin Medlock (7/10 this year, 1/2 in 2007) when there are guys like Rackers, Longwell, Kasey, etc out there. Unless they think those guys have totally lost their legs. Maybe they want someone for more than the rest of this year and don't plan to draft someone. Could be looking long term instead of just for the next few years.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by 49erha:
NEIL RACKERS why not bring this guy in for a work out he has been of the best in football for almost 10 years give him a call

Yeah, guy was like 84-94 percent for the last 4 years. Unless he really lost it. Hard to believe he is worse than guys kicking 60-70%. I am wondering why we bring in someone like Justin Medlock (7/10 this year, 1/2 in 2007) when there are guys like Rackers, Longwell, Kasey, etc out there. Unless they think those guys have totally lost their legs. Maybe they want someone for more than the rest of this year and don't plan to draft someone. Could be looking long term instead of just for the next few years.

maybe those guys have been knee deep in hookers and tequila.
Let's sign this guy before the Jets do...

www.rotoworld.com

49ers will work out free agent kickers Billy Cundiff and Justin Medlock this week.

David Akers has struggled badly this season, making just 29-of-42 kicks. He ended the regular season in Week 17 by missing from 44 and 40 yards out. Cundiff saw time with the Redskins earlier in the season when he hit just 7-of-12 kicks, while Medlock nailed 7-of-10 with the Panthers in 2012.

Rather us of brought in Longwell, but either one of these guys are better then nothing. I know Cundiff was the one who missed the 40+ yd FG to tie the game against the Pats last yr in the Championship game (for the Ravens) but before that he was pretty solid. Him or Medlock would be decent backup insurance if Akers does continue to struggle.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Let's sign this guy before the Jets do...

Who is this guy??
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Who is this guy??

Looks really accurate at first but he kicks the ball pretty low, probably would have problems getting those kicks blocked in the NFL.
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
www.rotoworld.com

49ers will work out free agent kickers Billy Cundiff and Justin Medlock this week.

David Akers has struggled badly this season, making just 29-of-42 kicks. He ended the regular season in Week 17 by missing from 44 and 40 yards out. Cundiff saw time with the Redskins earlier in the season when he hit just 7-of-12 kicks, while Medlock nailed 7-of-10 with the Panthers in 2012.

Rather us of brought in Longwell, but either one of these guys are better then nothing. I know Cundiff was the one who missed the 40+ yd FG to tie the game against the Pats last yr in the Championship game (for the Ravens) but before that he was pretty solid. Him or Medlock would be decent backup insurance if Akers does continue to struggle.

Cundiff missed a 32 yarder.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jan 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Don't understand why Longwell isn't brought in, had a decent career with playoff and Super Bowl experience and is from Cal :)
and even began his career with 49ers
lol we literally brought in the two s**ttiest kickers to try out. Rather not even sign them. hmmm hopefully we have more try outs.
We would be better off not kicking FG's.

Cun and Med stats are worse than Akers ! Is this the best we can dig up and make a phone call ? Get some rest akers , good luck . Hard to believe these are the only 2 guys are coaches are interested in
Originally posted by Ajanke:
lol we literally brought in the two s**ttiest kickers to try out. Rather not even sign them. hmmm hopefully we have more try outs.

Agreed. Where are Rackers, Kasay, Longwell, and Reed? Would even take Tavecchio over these two.

I can't believe Cundiff keeps getting opportunities. The guy has had maybe two solid seasons in ten years, and he shanked a 32-yarder to cost his team a shot at the Super Bowl not even a year ago.
Don't know why we don't bring in Jose Cortez, Owen Pochman, Jeff Chandler, or Todd Peterson.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
www.rotoworld.com

Well EXCUSE ME! Lol.

Regardless tho, if Harbaugh feels these 2 guys are better then some of the other Kickers in FA ( ex: Longwell) then I'm going to trust him. If we do sign one of them, will be interesting to see if we flat out just cut Akers OR have 1 of them be backup insurance when/if Akers misses a FG or 2 in the 1st rd of the playoffs.
Well EXCUSE ME! Lol.

Regardless tho, if Harbaugh feels these 2 guys are better then some of the other Kickers in FA ( ex: Longwell) then I'm going to trust him. If we do sign one of them, will be interesting to see if we flat out just cut Akers OR have 1 of them be backup insurance when/if Akers misses a FG or 2 in the 1st rd of the playoffs.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
www.rotoworld.com

Well EXCUSE ME! Lol.

Better be back up ! It would be stupid to just cut him. Akers starts and if he misses 1 you got reinforcement.
Share 49ersWebzone