LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 124 users in the forums

The Akers Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With Akers missing two game winning FGs in OT against the Rams, He has really put Us in a bad spot. If he would have made those two FG's We would be 10-2 with a 3 game lead in the division with only 4 games left... a 2 game lead for the #2 seed and only one game behind for the #1 seed....and a playoff spot guaranteed no matter what happend the last 4 games....With those two missed FG's we are 8-3-1, only a 1.5 game lead in the division with 4 tough games to close out the season, not to mention Seattle has a cake schedule to close out the season except for Us (Arizona,Buffalo,49ers,Rams). We only hold a half game lead for the #2 seed which will be really tough to hold onto with 3 teams GreenBay, Chicago and N.Y surging. And if we faulter any the last month we could miss the playoffs. With Akers struggling, Hunter out for the year, a 2012 draft class that has not done anything to help, and a young QB starting after mid season...We could be in for a heartbreaking end of the season because of two missed FGs to a team that has no business compeating with us in the first place.
Is this somehow related to Mass Effect?
I have it on good authority that the 49ers tried to release David Akers this morning, but he missed the team meeting wide right.
They have a million draft picks next year. They should just draft a stud kicker. Look at what Legatron does for the Rams. Akers can't hit a kick past 40 yards anymore. He's done.
Didnt one of the Matts report he was dealing with an injury?? Should have brought in Cundiff for a few weeks to let Akers heal.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Didnt one of the Matts report he was dealing with an injury?? Should have brought in Cundiff for a few weeks to let Akers heal.

Too many gambles caught up with them this week (Kaep, Akers and ridiculous play calling).
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Too many gambles caught up with them this week (Kaep, Akers and ridiculous play calling).

I agree! I just dont understand how Harbaugh says he tends to go with the hot hand when Kap clearly does not have the hot hand now, and then he says he is sticking with him, Harbaugh needs to man up and just say he wants to go with Kap, his press confrences are deceptive and shady and I am getting sick of it as a fan. How does Smith lose his job and Akers is sucking and has lost us two games and he keeps his?
Originally posted by GOAT80:

I agree! I just dont understand how Harbaugh says he tends to go with the hot hand when Kap clearly does not have the hot hand now, and then he says he is sticking with him, Harbaugh needs to man up and just say he wants to go with Kap, his press confrences are deceptive and shady and I am getting sick of it as a fan. How does Smith lose his job and Akers is sucking and has lost us two games and he keeps his?

Once Harbaugh made the decision to start CKWon for the Rams game the decision was made to keep him at starter for the season barring a horrific performance and yesterday was not anything close to that. Kap is our starter, period. He isn't coming out unless hurt or really struggling.

The Refs gave that game to the Rams yesterday with the bad safety. The momentum of the game switched on that play. The rams players got back into it as did their crowd.

As for Akers...who exactly are you going to replace him with? I mean whats the point of bringing in someone else if they are just as likely to miss game winning FG's?
Hate to say this...but we may be screwed with Akers, there's really no fix for this. Kickers are so damn crucial in the post-season, so I'm going to temper my Superbowl expectations to prevent a potential heart attack.
Originally posted by verb1der:
Hate to say this...but we may be screwed with Akers, there's really no fix for this. Kickers are so damn crucial in the post-season, so I'm going to temper my Superbowl expectations to prevent a potential heart attack.

Yeah we are pretty much stuck with him until the offseason.

For the rest of the season we are stuck with Akers.

The coaches can trust him on FG less than 35-40 yards. Anything longer they either need to punt or go for the 1st down.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
I have it on good authority that the 49ers tried to release David Akers this morning, but he missed the team meeting wide right.

I see what you are doing.... but feel like you failed.
Nate Kaeding. DO IT
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by GOAT80:

Once Harbaugh made the decision to start CKWon for the Rams game the decision was made to keep him at starter for the season barring a horrific performance and yesterday was not anything close to that. Kap is our starter, period. He isn't coming out unless hurt or really struggling.

The Refs gave that game to the Rams yesterday with the bad safety. The momentum of the game switched on that play. The rams players got back into it as did their crowd.

As for Akers...who exactly are you going to replace him with? I mean whats the point of bringing in someone else if they are just as likely to miss game winning FG's?

Choosing Kaep over Smith was a risk. That isn't even debatable. And Harbaugh has NEVER said that the QB change was permanent. He has bent over backward to keep from making that type of statement.

That safety happened because Kaep ran into the end zone. 20 yards BEHIND the line of scrimmage. Bad call or not, he put himself in that position.

I'd rather have a healthy Akers for the playoffs than retreads Cundiff or Kaeding. But as shaky as Akers has been all season, it was an extra risk starting him while injured. Having Kaeding or Cundiff fill in for a few weeks until Akers is 100% healed up and refocused makes sense.
A 50 plus yard FG isn't something you want to rely on to win a game, especially when you're away and had the lead the whole game. We lost momentum because of 1 player and the crowd was back in it for the home team. We had great field position after the Rams missed their long attempt in OT, but our offense didn't do much with it and left a lot to be desired with our last possession leading to the missed FG by Akers. Could the offense have helped put him in a better position to succeed? Hell yeah, unfortunately they failed.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone