LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

The Akers Effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dear God can we please talk Nedney out of retirement???? I mean seriously! The guy was money 45 yards and closer. He could finally get that ring!
Originally posted by redrazer45:
Originally posted by KaepernickFan:
Well EXCUSE ME! Lol.

Regardless tho, if Harbaugh feels these 2 guys are better then some of the other Kickers in FA ( ex: Longwell) then I'm going to trust him. If we do sign one of them, will be interesting to see if we flat out just cut Akers OR have 1 of them be backup insurance when/if Akers misses a FG or 2 in the 1st rd of the playoffs.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
www.rotoworld.com

49ers will work out free agent kickers Billy Cundiff and Justin Medlock this week.

David Akers has struggled badly this season, making just 29-of-42 kicks. He ended the regular season in Week 17 by missing from 44 and 40 yards out. Cundiff saw time with the Redskins earlier in the season when he hit just 7-of-12 kicks, while Medlock nailed 7-of-10 with the Panthers in 2012.

Rather us of brought in Longwell, but either one of these guys are better then nothing. I know Cundiff was the one who missed the 40+ yd FG to tie the game against the Pats last yr in the Championship game (for the Ravens) but before that he was pretty solid. Him or Medlock would be decent backup insurance if Akers does continue to struggle.

Cundiff missed a 32 yarder.

Well EXCUSE ME! Lol.

Regardless tho, if Harbaugh feels these 2 guys are better then some of the other Kickers in FA ( ex: Longwell) then I'm going to trust him. If we do sign one of them, will be interesting to see if we flat out just cut Akers OR have 1 of them be backup insurance when/if Akers misses a FG or 2 in the 1st rd of the playoffs.

Better be back up ! It would be stupid to just cut him. Akers starts and if he misses 1 you got reinforcement.

The way Akers has played the 2nd half of the season, imo it wouldn't be that crazy to cut him. But I doubt Harbaugh will do that always. If we do sign 1 of these guys, they prob will be backup insurance to Akers until he starts/continues to struggle again.
Cundiff and Medlock are worse than Akers
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Don't know why we don't bring in Jose Cortez, Owen Pochman, Jeff Chandler, or Todd Peterson.

Throw Wade Richey in for good measure.
Kicker status may be our downfall.

Not Justin injury

Not Kaep

Not the play calling

A f**king kicker!!!
between Justin hurt and Akers being awful, we are in alot of trouble
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Don't know why we don't bring in Jose Cortez, Owen Pochman, Jeff Chandler, or Todd Peterson.

Battle royal match. Winner gets contract, losers get thrown to the Sarlacc.
Has anyone noticed that Jose Cortez's stats of 2001-2002 are better than Akers' this year?
Akers will STILL be our kicker! I have confidence than any of the other options!
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Akers will STILL be our kicker! I have confidence than any of the other options!

after reading our other options, I hope Akers performs well in practice in the next couple months and beats out the other options.

He's a great kicker! I mean s**t he tied the record for longest field goal ever. He's just in a slump. a VERY dangerous Slump I agree. But I just feel better with his track record... Get him a sports psychologist, shrink, laid, whatever, just figure out how to shake that shank!

here are scenarios I'm running through in my head. We drive down first offensive possession of the Divisional Playoff game, and he shanks of 40-yarder.... May be good to have another kicker on the sidelines....? I just don't know.

OR.... We just go for it every time. Statistically speaking we're better off! The reason coaches kick more than the odds say they should is the potential fallout from inevitable misses. BUT, harbs has got an excuse, JUST GO FOR IT
what about Neil Rakers? he is 36. Much better than Medlock. Cundiff is 32 and Akers is 38
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

You mean WIDE Richey!
Akers $ucks donkey! Get rid of him!
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
what about Neil Rakers? he is 36. Much better than Medlock. Cundiff is 32 and Akers is 38

Rackers would be better than Medlock or Cundiff.
Share 49ersWebzone