There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What has happened to Carlos Rogers?

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Pro Football Focus ranks Rogers as the 76th-best cover corner in the NFL this season. They say he's allowing a 90.9 QB rating – 25 points higher than what he allowed on average last season.

Should the 49ers bench him?

Tarell Brown could cover the slot receivers instead of Rogers. Brown is quicker, and he is the 8th-best cover corner in the NFL this season according to Pro Football Focus. They rank Chris Culliver as the 13th-best cover corner this season, too. Should he take Rogers' place as the starting left cornerback in the base defense?
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/12/inside-the-49ers/should-the-49ers-bench-carlos-rogers/
Seems legit. Brown would be better if he wasn't banged up.

Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Rogers got lit up by fast shifty receivers last season, too. It's not like he suddenly lost his mojo.

He's not only getting lit up by the shifty but by everybody.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Culliver over is the most overrated player on the team

Dont agree. Rogers is, maybe thats what u meant.
The question "what happened to Carlos Rogers?" would have been more appropriate if asked last season. Because this season is more in line with every other year in his career.

I was actually pissed when we signed him before 2011. Dude was such garbage for the Redskins. After last season, I was hoping he turned the corner in his career. But sadly,last year looks to be an aberration.
That last game looked like the ENTIRE TEAM just tanked the game.

Really weird. I don't want to see it. Maybe Harbros wanted Carroll to show off all of his playbook. I have no clue.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
The question "what happened to Carlos Rogers?" would have been more appropriate if asked last season. Because this season is more in line with every other year in his career.

I was actually pissed when we signed him before 2011. Dude was such garbage for the Redskins. After last season, I was hoping he turned the corner in his career. But sadly,last year looks to be an aberration.

his hands certainly were an aberration in 2011 as he actually caught some interceptions--alas he reverted to stone hands this year and dropped a sure pick in the seattle game
Other than Goldson, nobody in our secondary's playing as well this year as they did last season. Part of the reason for that is other than Aldon Smith, we're not getting the pressure from the front 7 this year as we did last season. Ray Mac's pressure isn't what it was last year...Justin Smith constantly gets double-teamed, which opens things up for AS, but nobody else is really pressure the opposing QB. That has a direct impact on the secondary...now they have to cover the receivers longer. TB has been burned quite a few times, too. I think it's only a matter of time before Culliver takes over for Rodgers, who'll then become the nickel. I'd agree, Carlos has had some opportunities to make more picks, but he did make a nice one in the NE game.
Is our secondary wearing the proper gloves?

on Sports Science they broke down the top 10 plays of the year and one was AJ Green's one handed catch. They detailed how the gloves he was wearing increase grip potential by like 300% or something vs. bare hands.

If Carlos was wearing the proper gloves and is still stone-handing these passes then ugh...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he has been up and down like alot of players on our team. maybe its due to the lack of pressure on the quarterback? I do not know and i am done trying to figure out why I can not figure this team out this year. i just go from game to game not knowing what to expect
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Other than Goldson, nobody in our secondary's playing as well this year as they did last season. Part of the reason for that is other than Aldon Smith, we're not getting the pressure from the front 7 this year as we did last season. Ray Mac's pressure isn't what it was last year...Justin Smith constantly gets double-teamed, which opens things up for AS, but nobody else is really pressure the opposing QB. That has a direct impact on the secondary...now they have to cover the receivers longer. TB has been burned quite a few times, too. I think it's only a matter of time before Culliver takes over for Rodgers, who'll then become the nickel. I'd agree, Carlos has had some opportunities to make more picks, but he did make a nice one in the NE game.
Exactly. Brooks and Raymac aren't playing no where near on the level they did last year. Brooks hasn't made a play since the Saints game. Our corners are average and they are gonna get beat with on consistent pressure. It's the same reason why the turnovers are down. No pressure

Absolutely zero truth to this.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Absolutely zero truth to this.

No kidding. Outside of the last 6 quarters I have no idea what half these people are watching. Our defense (up until the last 6 quarters) was better than last year. Last year we depended on turnovers more than anything to beat teams, this year we haven't had them and our defense has improved in many categories.
Rogers got smoked all night vs Seattle that last game

awful awful awful
Originally posted by Ballistic:
Rogers got smoked all night vs Seattle that last game

awful awful awful

this
The pick that went through his hands was a back breaker. Not that we were ever gonna win that game, but at the time it would have changed the momentum and given us the ball back. Instead the Seacocks scored a couple plays later and the game was over. He has been very average all year in my opinion, where last year he was reliable and even stellar at times.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
The pick that went through his hands was a back breaker. Not that we were ever gonna win that game, but at the time it would have changed the momentum and given us the ball back. Instead the Seacocks scored a couple plays later and the game was over. He has been very average all year in my opinion, where last year he was reliable and even stellar at times.

We could have won it. That could have swung things. Ya never know.
im gonna say its a plateau year for Rogers before ascending again next season. Hes had some drops so its not like he ant in the right place at the right time. Goldson comes to mind as a player that showed promise early then nothing and now he delivers lumber on a regular bases.