LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by fastforward:
The Cardinals still wanted to give Kolb at least one more year after failing to interest Peyton Manning. I think they give up on him by now. Kolb could be serviceable, but is too fragile to earn big bucks. Like I commented before, if Smith goes to AZ, he may have to take a pay cut to help them beef up the OL.

Philly isnt a bottom tier team? With the Giants and the coming of RG3? They may have some talent, but their cap is going to drain alot of players away, Babin was the first to go, that, and a new HC next year. Also, any line with King Dunlap as a starter is in big trouble, hes worse than Chilo, and playing tackle. I dont see him in AZ, even if the Wiz stays, which I think he will. Maybe if Roman winds up there, I could see that, but AZ even with Alex wont beat us, or Seattle for a long time in the division, Fitz isnt getting any younger, they dont have any sort of a line, Wells isnt Gire, I dont think they have a TE or do they? Both Philly and AZ will be drafting high next spring, thats Barkley or L. Jones, when teams want to put fans in the stands and hope for wins, they go with a hotshot rookie, not someone like Alex. Nothing against him, Im a huge Alex backer. Everyone wants the next Luck or Griffin or Kap or Cam, not a retread that hasnt won a SB.

It doesn't look like there is the next Luck, RGIII in the 2013 draft. Unless something changes drastically in the next few weeks, this could be a weaker draft class than the 2005 class when Smith and Rodgers were the only two QBs with real potential available. With guys like Vick, Cassel regressing at alarming rate, and youngsters like Gabbert not coming through, it's a seller market for free agent QBs.
It doesn't look like there is the next Luck, RGIII in the 2013 draft. Unless something changes drastically in the next few weeks, this could be a weaker draft class than the 2005 class when Smith and Rodgers were the only two QBs with real potential available. With guys like Vick, Cassel regressing at alarming rate, and youngsters like Gabbert not coming through, it's a seller market for free agent QBs.

I agree. This will be a terrible draft as far as QB's go. My point is that I dont see Alex going to a bottom team, even the best teams will be looking for a quality backup, and I dont think he will want to be here if Kap takes the rest of the snaps this year. He wants to win, I believe that. Going to AZ or JAX isnt going to get him there, those teams are too far away, I think he goes to a contender, even as a backup.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
A trade isnt going to happen. The trade deadline already passed and if Alex Smith is still on our roster for the next trade deadline its because he is our starter.

What the heck are you talking about?
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

I agree. This will be a terrible draft as far as QB's go. My point is that I dont see Alex going to a bottom team, even the best teams will be looking for a quality backup, and I dont think he will want to be here if Kap takes the rest of the snaps this year. He wants to win, I believe that. Going to AZ or JAX isnt going to get him there, those teams are too far away, I think he goes to a contender, even as a backup.

But, but, this is the year the great Matt Barkley is coming out? Just ask anyone that didn't watch SC this year or is an ESPN analyst and they'll tell you this kid is for real. Unfortunately, I witnessed his entire college career. Kiffin should be given a medal for making this kid passable during his Junior year.
[ Edited by Geeked on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Geeked:
I think Shaub's contract is up this year. If things turn south in Houston, I could see that being a destination point. Shaub has a hard time staying healthy and Smith may be the type of QB that would appeal to Kubiak.

Nope. Signed an extension in September.

Well, maybe the 49ers can get a second out of the Jets. The Jets, of course, will keep Sanchez and Tebow, then promise Sanchez he's still the starter.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Well, maybe the 49ers can get a second out of the Jets. The Jets, of course, will keep Sanchez and Tebow, then promise Sanchez he's still the starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/51360/sanchez-guaranteed-8-25-million-in-2013
But, but, this is the year the great Matt Barkley is coming out? Just ask anyone that didn't watch SC this year or is an ESPN analyst and they'll tell you this kid is for real. Unfortunately, I witnessed his entire college career. Kiffin should be given a medal for making this kid passable during his Junior year.

Barkley had a season-ending shoulder injury. He really struggled before the injury going 1-3 in the last 4 games. Many people put the blame of the losses on him.
Man some things I read here...

Drafting a QB? It looks like we already got our guy at QB. I don't get all the pessimistic thoughts around here. We are literally at the strongest and most hopeful point in the last 10 years. I don't see how you can complain as a 49er fan ... nobody has it better than us.

Being worried about worst case scenario is hilarious. Have we not already been through worst case scenario?...a few times? lol
Im not making up anything. Yes, Gabbert was a first round pick, but hes not starting now, is he? I think its Henne last I checked. Seriously, do you think that Kolb and Skelton combined are as good as Campbell could be, or should have been? I can see Alex in NE. I dont think Brady would really care, he is very secure in his job, and wants his team to win, no matter what. He knows Alex will never unseat him, and Belichek is nuts, everyone knows that and he loves retread players. If he could get him cheap, I could see it happening.

Can't project injuries. Ask Alex. The point is Campbell would have been a backup for Jacksonville and Chicago.

It doesn't matter if they are as good as him either. That doesn't mean Whisenhunt wanted Campbell.

Yes, Brady would care. For starters that contract could go to helping him win.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Man some things I read here...

Drafting a QB? It looks like we already got our guy at QB. I don't get all the pessimistic thoughts around here. We are literally at the strongest and most hopeful point in the last 10 years. I don't see how you can complain as a 49er fan ... nobody has it better than us.

Being worried about worst case scenario is hilarious. Have we not already been through worst case scenario?...a few times? lol

Another thing that i see few fans mention,

I know Tolzien is kind of a running joke around here, because alot of fans, including me were high on him after his preseason performances, but i think going into next season he will be a very capable backup over the long haul, and him and Kaep are young.

Eventually he may even draw trade interest as well if he ever has to take snaps due to blowouts, injury, and preseason. I think we roll with Kaep and Tolz next season as the one and two, and then bring in an UDFA for practice squad duties and to develop further.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1424365-navorro-bowman-extension-proves-the-san-francisco-49ers-know-what-they-are-doing?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

According to this he does.
"Depending on what happens with the starting quarterback situation for the remainder of the season, Alex Smith may find himself wanting out. San Francisco could avoid a $7.5 million hit if it decides to release Smith prior to April. A more likely scenario would be Smith being traded to a team currently in need of a starting quarterback. In any event, short of Smith retaining his starting job and leading San Francisco to a Super Bowl, he will most likely create a large salary void under the 2013 cap. "
[ Edited by VA49er on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM ]
Before figuring how alex is going to be wanted elsewhere in the NFL and there should be 6 locks for alex, and maybe another 10-14 besides that. The season isn't over. No way of knowing that on any given play, Kap could get a knee wiped out and Crabs could wipe out an ankle. Hey, it happened last week on one play to two starters, to Kyle and HUnter, both starters. So let's get thru this season , pray for no injuries, but remember, this team has a WR and RB ready to take the field after those two positions went down . Alex had his concussion. Don't think Kap isn't able to get one also. Now i certainly hope not, but the mario, moss thing and the Aj/LaMic thing are representative of what coach was worried about...injuries. So let's not have alex going anywhere yet. Let's go ahead, mash teams en route to the SB where we win it, and THEN see where alex may or may not end up. I would love to see him stay here if money allowed and if he permitted it. Also who is to say that Kap doesn't go out and lay an egg against rams, and alex had to come in and clean up Kaps mess. Remember, for a decimated team, they had the BIG RUSH on alex and kap, so bodies can get broken....and I hope they aren't ours.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:
Alex Smith is better than

Romo
Rivers
Weeden
Palmer
Cassel
Ponder
Bradford
Sanchez
Fitzy
kolb/skelton
whoever Tennessee is starting
The eagles could use a QB

No way is Alex better than any of those guys on that list. Remember Alex was a complete flop until Harbaugh arrived. Imagine a Sam Bradford on the 9ers with all our WR & VD and Running weapons and that lethal Defense?

He wasn't a flop before Harbaugh arrived. But the player being assessed is today's Alex Smith. And if you think all of those guys on that list are better than him, you are either eaten up with hate or you aren't a 49ers fan
Well flop, maybe not, but he is a bust for the draft position he was selected at. Unlike a plunket or his predessessors he showed no wow or it factor.

I think some of them are better than Alex but not all of them. While others are on the same level or below. I think your are looking at it in the wrong light though. How would they look if they played for the 49ers or if Alex played for them with their talent and coaching staff is. Some of them I wouldn't touch though, like Bradford, since college the guy has been fragile.
Personally, I think Alex Smith's ultimate trade value can't be measured in what we get but has to be weighed with the cap space free'ed up to re-sign some key players.

I just want to make sure Smith doesn't end up with the Cardinals. That's the only location where I think he could do damage with this team.

That may well be, because he can also give insider information on us. He will need better line play and a good RB though, cause he will have to face Aldon and Willis, since he doesn't want turn over the ball, he will get sacked a bit.

However, in the scheme of things, we will get something for him, unless a team wants to posiibly bid for him with others. Like one poster said, this is a weak draft, Barkley and Laundry ain't much, still they may bring him into start while the rookie gets trained for a year or two. The best bet would be if Roman left and wants AS cause he knows the system already. Another scenario is a team like the niners, D, ST and power running.

With that said,it don't matter this year, lets wait and see what happens.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We should get a nice little haul from some Qb needy team. A 2nd or 3rd would be ideal.
Share 49ersWebzone