There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

A trade isnt going to happen. The trade deadline already passed and if Alex Smith is still on our roster for the next trade deadline its because he is our starter.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
I get that, I hear CA is nice. Wife, and a new kid. But where does he go? Oak? Thats a disaster waiting to happen, that team is 10 years or more from being a contender again, and with all they gave up for Palmer, I cant see that. SD? Norv is gone after this year, if he makes it that long. Rivers will have a new HC, maybe a GM that can keep talent on the team, why would anyone want to be a backup there? Hes not going to unseat Rivers, as terrible as hes been this year, it wont happen. Two bottom teams for the future, as long as Peyton is in DEN and their D stays healthy, thats their division for a good long time. I just cant see him with a loser, not after being so close.

Rivers' cap hit will be $17 million in 2013. I don't know if a reorganized Chargers would want to incur that kind of cost. They might be able to sign Smith for much cheaper.
Originally posted by fastforward:
The Cardinals still wanted to give Kolb at least one more year after failing to interest Peyton Manning. I think they give up on him by now. Kolb could be serviceable, but is too fragile to earn big bucks. Like I commented before, if Smith goes to AZ, he may have to take a pay cut to help them beef up the OL.

Philly isnt a bottom tier team? With the Giants and the coming of RG3? They may have some talent, but their cap is going to drain alot of players away, Babin was the first to go, that, and a new HC next year. Also, any line with King Dunlap as a starter is in big trouble, hes worse than Chilo, and playing tackle. I dont see him in AZ, even if the Wiz stays, which I think he will. Maybe if Roman winds up there, I could see that, but AZ even with Alex wont beat us, or Seattle for a long time in the division, Fitz isnt getting any younger, they dont have any sort of a line, Wells isnt Gire, I dont think they have a TE or do they? Both Philly and AZ will be drafting high next spring, thats Barkley or L. Jones, when teams want to put fans in the stands and hope for wins, they go with a hotshot rookie, not someone like Alex. Nothing against him, Im a huge Alex backer. Everyone wants the next Luck or Griffin or Kap or Cam, not a retread that hasnt won a SB.
No
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Blaine Gabbert was penciled in as Jacksonville's starter from day 1 (besides the interest inTebow but that's a different story) . Kolb/ Skelton was Arizona's starter. You're just making up that Campbell could have started there. It doesn't work that way. Jacksonville invested a 1st rounder in Gabbert and because of that they were committed to him.

Smith in New England? Yeah right. Here's how that plays out. What are your thoughts on bringing in Alex as a backup. Brady "No" Belichek "Okay".

Im not making up anything. Yes, Gabbert was a first round pick, but hes not starting now, is he? I think its Henne last I checked. Seriously, do you think that Kolb and Skelton combined are as good as Campbell could be, or should have been? I can see Alex in NE. I dont think Brady would really care, he is very secure in his job, and wants his team to win, no matter what. He knows Alex will never unseat him, and Belichek is nuts, everyone knows that and he loves retread players. If he could get him cheap, I could see it happening.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by fastforward:
The Cardinals still wanted to give Kolb at least one more year after failing to interest Peyton Manning. I think they give up on him by now. Kolb could be serviceable, but is too fragile to earn big bucks. Like I commented before, if Smith goes to AZ, he may have to take a pay cut to help them beef up the OL.

Philly isnt a bottom tier team? With the Giants and the coming of RG3? They may have some talent, but their cap is going to drain alot of players away, Babin was the first to go, that, and a new HC next year. Also, any line with King Dunlap as a starter is in big trouble, hes worse than Chilo, and playing tackle. I dont see him in AZ, even if the Wiz stays, which I think he will. Maybe if Roman winds up there, I could see that, but AZ even with Alex wont beat us, or Seattle for a long time in the division, Fitz isnt getting any younger, they dont have any sort of a line, Wells isnt Gire, I dont think they have a TE or do they? Both Philly and AZ will be drafting high next spring, thats Barkley or L. Jones, when teams want to put fans in the stands and hope for wins, they go with a hotshot rookie, not someone like Alex. Nothing against him, Im a huge Alex backer. Everyone wants the next Luck or Griffin or Kap or Cam, not a retread that hasnt won a SB.

It doesn't look like there is the next Luck, RGIII in the 2013 draft. Unless something changes drastically in the next few weeks, this could be a weaker draft class than the 2005 class when Smith and Rodgers were the only two QBs with real potential available. With guys like Vick, Cassel regressing at alarming rate, and youngsters like Gabbert not coming through, it's a seller market for free agent QBs.
Originally posted by fastforward:
It doesn't look like there is the next Luck, RGIII in the 2013 draft. Unless something changes drastically in the next few weeks, this could be a weaker draft class than the 2005 class when Smith and Rodgers were the only two QBs with real potential available. With guys like Vick, Cassel regressing at alarming rate, and youngsters like Gabbert not coming through, it's a seller market for free agent QBs.

I agree. This will be a terrible draft as far as QB's go. My point is that I dont see Alex going to a bottom team, even the best teams will be looking for a quality backup, and I dont think he will want to be here if Kap takes the rest of the snaps this year. He wants to win, I believe that. Going to AZ or JAX isnt going to get him there, those teams are too far away, I think he goes to a contender, even as a backup.
Originally posted by AZ9erfan520:
A trade isnt going to happen. The trade deadline already passed and if Alex Smith is still on our roster for the next trade deadline its because he is our starter.

What the heck are you talking about?
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Originally posted by fastforward:
It doesn't look like there is the next Luck, RGIII in the 2013 draft. Unless something changes drastically in the next few weeks, this could be a weaker draft class than the 2005 class when Smith and Rodgers were the only two QBs with real potential available. With guys like Vick, Cassel regressing at alarming rate, and youngsters like Gabbert not coming through, it's a seller market for free agent QBs.

I agree. This will be a terrible draft as far as QB's go. My point is that I dont see Alex going to a bottom team, even the best teams will be looking for a quality backup, and I dont think he will want to be here if Kap takes the rest of the snaps this year. He wants to win, I believe that. Going to AZ or JAX isnt going to get him there, those teams are too far away, I think he goes to a contender, even as a backup.

But, but, this is the year the great Matt Barkley is coming out? Just ask anyone that didn't watch SC this year or is an ESPN analyst and they'll tell you this kid is for real. Unfortunately, I witnessed his entire college career. Kiffin should be given a medal for making this kid passable during his Junior year.
[ Edited by Geeked on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Geeked:
I think Shaub's contract is up this year. If things turn south in Houston, I could see that being a destination point. Shaub has a hard time staying healthy and Smith may be the type of QB that would appeal to Kubiak.


Nope. Signed an extension in September.

Well, maybe the 49ers can get a second out of the Jets. The Jets, of course, will keep Sanchez and Tebow, then promise Sanchez he's still the starter.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,848
Originally posted by Geeked:
Well, maybe the 49ers can get a second out of the Jets. The Jets, of course, will keep Sanchez and Tebow, then promise Sanchez he's still the starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/51360/sanchez-guaranteed-8-25-million-in-2013
Originally posted by Geeked:
But, but, this is the year the great Matt Barkley is coming out? Just ask anyone that didn't watch SC this year or is an ESPN analyst and they'll tell you this kid is for real. Unfortunately, I witnessed his entire college career. Kiffin should be given a medal for making this kid passable during his Junior year.

Barkley had a season-ending shoulder injury. He really struggled before the injury going 1-3 in the last 4 games. Many people put the blame of the losses on him.
Man some things I read here...

Drafting a QB? It looks like we already got our guy at QB. I don't get all the pessimistic thoughts around here. We are literally at the strongest and most hopeful point in the last 10 years. I don't see how you can complain as a 49er fan ... nobody has it better than us.

Being worried about worst case scenario is hilarious. Have we not already been through worst case scenario?...a few times? lol
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Im not making up anything. Yes, Gabbert was a first round pick, but hes not starting now, is he? I think its Henne last I checked. Seriously, do you think that Kolb and Skelton combined are as good as Campbell could be, or should have been? I can see Alex in NE. I dont think Brady would really care, he is very secure in his job, and wants his team to win, no matter what. He knows Alex will never unseat him, and Belichek is nuts, everyone knows that and he loves retread players. If he could get him cheap, I could see it happening.


Can't project injuries. Ask Alex. The point is Campbell would have been a backup for Jacksonville and Chicago.

It doesn't matter if they are as good as him either. That doesn't mean Whisenhunt wanted Campbell.

Yes, Brady would care. For starters that contract could go to helping him win.
Originally posted by BayArea:
Man some things I read here...

Drafting a QB? It looks like we already got our guy at QB. I don't get all the pessimistic thoughts around here. We are literally at the strongest and most hopeful point in the last 10 years. I don't see how you can complain as a 49er fan ... nobody has it better than us.

Being worried about worst case scenario is hilarious. Have we not already been through worst case scenario?...a few times? lol

Another thing that i see few fans mention,

I know Tolzien is kind of a running joke around here, because alot of fans, including me were high on him after his preseason performances, but i think going into next season he will be a very capable backup over the long haul, and him and Kaep are young.

Eventually he may even draw trade interest as well if he ever has to take snaps due to blowouts, injury, and preseason. I think we roll with Kaep and Tolz next season as the one and two, and then bring in an UDFA for practice squad duties and to develop further.