There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What were some of the offensive difference that you saw against the Bears?

The touchdown pass to Crabtree.

I can picture it right now....

Alex scrambling around eyes locked on the Crabtree from from the very beginning of the play, scrambles to the left, pump fake, run out of bounds. lol
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think the gameplan was more aggressive. WE NEED TO BE AGGRESSIVE TO WIN. If we can build leads by being aggressive and keep our defense fresh, we are going to be good.

Can Alex make the throw to Kyle Williams? Probably not.
Can we design the offense that we make quicker throws.....YES. RUN MORE WEST COAST SLANTS PLEASE.

I think we have gone into some games with a bad gameplan or Roman starts to get too cute with trick plays. And sometimes we come out flat.

THE BEARS WERE OVERRATED ESPECIALLY WITHOUT CUTLER, but we dominated them.

The Saints game at New Orleans is going to be a WAR. I think Alex starts.

Well said. I feel like that's the problem with the offense this season. Even with that win against GB and DET, as dominant as the Niners looked most of the game, the opponents still had chances to get back in the game. We rely heavily on the run and you had teams like MIN and NYG who figured it out and they were able to beat the Niners that way. I have to give it up to Coughlin, as good as the D looked against the run, he was persistent and stuck with it. The Bears were going with the same game plan but Kaep said, "Not on my watch"
Only difference was we were executing on plays and finishing plays on D
Charley Casserly on who the starter should be: "I'm gonna go with Alex Smith. I'm gonna go with the veteran here. CK played well last night but what was interesting to me, he (CK) started off the game 8 for 8. Those are scripted plays...game plan. He started off the second half 2 of 3. That's half time adjustments..."

He goes on to talk about how if he faces a more complex coverage scheme vs. the base defense the Bears played in (and CK talked about in the post game analysis), it will be significantly more difficult.
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
The touchdown pass to Crabtree.

I can picture it right now....

Alex scrambling around eyes locked on the Crabtree from from the very beginning of the play, scrambles to the left, pump fake, run out of bounds. lol


Shame on you for saying that. It's not realistic at all, and I think you are underestimating Smith's abilities. He definitely wouldn't have scrambled and run out of bounds. No way. He would have seen everyone covered, ducking his head, looking up, then throwing the ball out of the back of the end zone. Gruden would have applauded the decision, talking about how smart it was to avoid any needless risk, and Kaepernick would have looked on from afar, a tear slowly rolling down his cheek.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Dont remember any drive momentum killing penalties. Better than expected oline play in pass protection.

This! Those are not 'inconsequential' details. Those details win games!

Yeah things like this don't get noticed by people focused on only one player.
Due to the threat of Kaep's running the Bear D couldn't tee off. It looked like Kaep was not looking to run. When pressure came he avoided it and looked dowinfield. He was definitely cool in the pocket. He went through his progressions quickly, and oh yes he has one of the strongest arms in the NFL, period. Coach Harbaugh is ahead of the curve, what's the upside of keeping him on the bench? What was the upside of keeping Luck on the bench, or Dalton, or Cam? The answer is none. The running attack will far offset any experience issues. He makes big plays, when compared to Colin, Alex looks like he's playing uphill. He's 25, time to go after #6.
i saw a qb who believed in his abilities, he wasn't gun shy and has a confidence and chemistry with his receivers that alex has never had in 7 years
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Kaep and Alex are the same height

But Kaep's eyes are up higher on his head!
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Only difference was we were executing on plays and finishing plays on D

This pretty much plain and simple.
Originally posted by Niner_Fan:
I am so glad that Kaep finally got to start a game and show what he can do!

I am so tired of watching A Smith take up so much clock time pecking around 10 and 12 yards at a time and taking so many sacks when he could throw it away and avoid the loss of yards plus he has no sense of urgency he acts like he has all day Kaep on the other hand acts quickly he gets the ball out fast and with a lot of velocity and it makes a huge difference and allows you to put the ball in tight placements, you watch all the great QB's they can do that A Smith does not have it, Kaep makes this offense explosive I say start him from now on and let's win a SB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7xfvFgZ1E
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,354
The PLAYCALLING was on point last night. Right calls, took shots down field and actually used VD for Christ sake. Used hunter more like we should all the dumb little gimmiks were used less and made our offense click and get hot early. This is what we need to do week in week out if we want to beat the pats, packers, Texans etc in the playoffs. When our offense plays like that our defense just takes over the game and we are the best team by far in the league at that point.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,354
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by Niner_Fan:
I am so glad that Kaep finally got to start a game and show what he can do!

I am so tired of watching A Smith take up so much clock time pecking around 10 and 12 yards at a time and taking so many sacks when he could throw it away and avoid the loss of yards plus he has no sense of urgency he acts like he has all day Kaep on the other hand acts quickly he gets the ball out fast and with a lot of velocity and it makes a huge difference and allows you to put the ball in tight placements, you watch all the great QB's they can do that A Smith does not have it, Kaep makes this offense explosive I say start him from now on and let's win a SB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7xfvFgZ1E

Targets are not moving and ten yards away lol
Originally posted by NCommand:
Charley Casserly on who the starter should be: "I'm gonna go with Alex Smith. I'm gonna go with the veteran here. CK played well last night but what was interesting to me, he (CK) started off the game 8 for 8. Those are scripted plays...game plan. He started off the second half 2 of 3. That's half time adjustments..."

He goes on to talk about how if he faces a more complex coverage scheme vs. the base defense the Bears played in (and CK talked about in the post game analysis), it will be significantly more difficult.


These are definitely fair points. I was surprised by the constant use of the Bears base coverage schemes - very little rotating zones, zone dogs, zone blitz, etc. It was almost as if they prepared only for a basic pass game and were ready to just stop the run. In the second half they were a bit more creative, but by then the 49ers were going more conservative with the pass game and more runs. The Bears are a very experienced defense - it was surprising they didn't revise the game plan more extensively early in the game to force CK into an error, and then the 49ers would have reverted to a run game plan that the Bears wanted from us.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Charley Casserly on who the starter should be: "I'm gonna go with Alex Smith. I'm gonna go with the veteran here. CK played well last night but what was interesting to me, he (CK) started off the game 8 for 8. Those are scripted plays...game plan. He started off the second half 2 of 3. That's half time adjustments..."

He goes on to talk about how if he faces a more complex coverage scheme vs. the base defense the Bears played in (and CK talked about in the post game analysis), it will be significantly more difficult.


These are definitely fair points. I was surprised by the constant use of the Bears base coverage schemes - very little rotating zones, zone dogs, zone blitz, etc. It was almost as if they prepared only for a basic pass game and were ready to just stop the run. In the second half they were a bit more creative, but by then the 49ers were going more conservative with the pass game and more runs. The Bears are a very experienced defense - it was surprising they didn't revise the game plan more extensively early in the game to force CK into an error, and then the 49ers would have reverted to a run game plan that the Bears wanted from us.

True...teams have 1.5 years of tape of Smith in this offense and he's been getting better and better against teams that play us like it's their Superbowl. What we saw with CK was a defense that had no clue other than he can run and we would be focused on the run...and the result? They stacked 8-10 in the box all game long while we went 4 WR's, created a game plan that got VD the most involved he's been all season and attacked them deep on single coverage until we had a big lead and THEN we went big rush. It really was a brilliant game plan and very similar to the Buffalo game plan where our WR's were 1on1 almost the entire game and they won those battles and Alex took advantage. CK didn't play the Giants that night...he played a base defense geared up to stop the run and didn't change.

Now all this said, CK still had to make those plays and the coaches had to believe he could make those throws against a cover 2. And he did (like Alex against Buffalo).

But I think ppl are getting a little ahead of themselves. But either way, you have to be happy with how BOTH QB's have progressed after just 1.5 years of the 3 in this WCO that is, by far, THE most unique offense in the NFL. I was happy to see Roman grow some balls, happy with how every player executed and came out on fire and happy with the results and our future.

Who would have thought a #2 seed and the 3rd rated QB could be in a full-scale QB controversy? A lot of credit goes to coaching up CK and for him continuing to grow within it and always preparing himself properly.