LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 317 users in the forums

What were some of the offensive difference that you saw against the Bears?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith was not the QB
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Kaep and Alex are the same height

Actually CK has been listed a tad over 6'4" but we are talking only a 1/4 to 1/2" At the start of the draft, many listed him as 6'5" then when teams got to acually measure him he a little over 6-4. It really is not much of a difference, not like 6-4 to 6-1. However, I believe has wing span or arm length is longer, but that is negated by his unusual throwing motion. The big difference is his velocity, when it leaves his hands it flies from pt. a to pt. b like a pigskin on fire, I would compare him to John Elway as they were also both baseball players. He throws hard, Randy Moss hurt his finger on a pass play last night cause the ball comes out so fast and hard.
Originally posted by echav4949:
For some reason the o line gives more time to ck7 to throw the ball. Thats what i saw in this game and last weeks game. Either way with either qb id say we are in good hands.

This. Looking back at the rams game since Kap played in that one also, you could see our o-line was giving no time to Kap or Smith.

Better consistent protection will equal more time which will give the QB time to make a decision and for the WRs to get open. Our O-line is always on and off

Also I would like to mention that the Rams IMO played much better defense than the bears. It even gave Kap a little pressure.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Actually CK has been listed a tad over 6'4" but we are talking only a 1/4 to 1/2" At the start of the draft, many listed him as 6'5" then when teams got to acually measure him he a little over 6-4. It really is not much of a difference, not like 6-4 to 6-1. However, I believe has wing span or arm length is longer, but that is negated by his unusual throwing motion. The big difference is his velocity, when it leaves his hands it flies from pt. a to pt. b like a pigskin on fire, I would compare him to John Elway as they were also both baseball players. He throws hard, Randy Moss hurt his finger on a pass play last night cause the ball comes out so fast and hard.
i thought Kaep was 6'6 ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by WildBill:

i thought Kaep was 6'6 ?
you thought wrong
Make no mistake that Kaep's dynamic to run affects how the bears D rushed upfield on him and thus helps the o-line. A good example is look on the other side where the Smith Brothers just smashed thru and around sometimes blindly knowing that Cambell would be there and not worrying about maintaining containment. Kaep displayed that on several occasions when the bears had him in their grasp, but because of his running ability he escaped getting sacked and manage to get outside to at least avoid a sack and threw it away. Other times he managed to complete a pass.

He did stand in the pocket at other times with the D coming up the middle and bearing down on him, but quickly got rid of it with enough time to avoid either getting hit or flow with it so he didn't get tagged hard. Some of those bad line play was mostly on Goodwin.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Anybody notice that there were not a lot of out routes? Kaepernick was throwing the football VERTICALLY

Yeah, I noticed that too. Can't read too much into that though. It could be that Kaep isn't good with them at this point or simply the Bears defense isn't willing to let us throw that. This is one of the reason why I would like to see more of Kaep playing before wanting him to start significantly.

Well if you send the receivers upfield more, the DB's will have to turn their backs, if there is nothing there and the pocket collapses and he finds a gap, Kaep will get big chunks running before the DB or LB in coverage realizes and converges. If they get caught peeking into the backfield worried about the run, then you get what happens when he tossed the TD to Crabtree.
The Bears couldn't just stack the box to stop the run and when they did Kap would make them pay with intermediate and deep throws
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM ]
To be honest it was just a good gameplan. We pushed it deep we used playaction and we balanced out the attack. The big difference this week to last week, and in all of our wins vs. all of our losses was that our D showed up and killed people. Our offense was not dramatically different than many other games. However when you start playing with a lead and your D let's you get a few on the board it just makes life so easy for us.
I think the gameplan was more aggressive. WE NEED TO BE AGGRESSIVE TO WIN. If we can build leads by being aggressive and keep our defense fresh, we are going to be good.

Can Alex make the throw to Kyle Williams? Probably not.
Can we design the offense that we make quicker throws.....YES. RUN MORE WEST COAST SLANTS PLEASE.

I think we have gone into some games with a bad gameplan or Roman starts to get too cute with trick plays. And sometimes we come out flat.

THE BEARS WERE OVERRATED ESPECIALLY WITHOUT CUTLER, but we dominated them.

The Saints game at New Orleans is going to be a WAR. I think Alex starts.

I agree about being aggressive. However I think we can do alot of that with alex too. He can and has made those type of throws downfield. The big difference with Kaep is how he fit in some tight windows. Teams can make you pay for that if he isn't fully prepared for some mixed coverage looks.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Biggest differences:

• Same plays called, but much better results with Kaep
  • We did add some five wide receiver sets though (awesome!!!), but the majority of the plays called were the same
  • pocket broke down, Kaep extended plays and kept his eyes down field
  • Kaep threw to WRs that didnt need to be 5 yards away from the nearest defender
  • Kaep went through his progressions and STILL hit WRs downfield rather than check down, throw it away or run for a few yards
  • Our passing game was explosive before our running game really got started
  • Our passing game dominated a great defense for the first time in years
  • Our wide receivers were given the opportunity to make plays

That is all.

Bravo!! Huge Difference.
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
I think the gameplan was more aggressive. WE NEED TO BE AGGRESSIVE TO WIN. If we can build leads by being aggressive and keep our defense fresh, we are going to be good.

Can Alex make the throw to Kyle Williams? Probably not.
Can we design the offense that we make quicker throws.....YES. RUN MORE WEST COAST SLANTS PLEASE.

I think we have gone into some games with a bad gameplan or Roman starts to get too cute with trick plays. And sometimes we come out flat.

THE BEARS WERE OVERRATED ESPECIALLY WITHOUT CUTLER, but we dominated them.

The Saints game at New Orleans is going to be a WAR. I think Alex starts.

Good post!

But as to the bolded, we always forget this exact pass against Buffalo (who, defensively, also played us the same way).

1st and 10 at SF 39. A.Smith pass deep right to V.Davis pushed ob at BUF 8 for 53 yards (A.Williams). Caught at BUF 28. 20-yds YAC
Kaepernick wasn't scared to throw the ball.

There where quite a few throws last night that Alex never would have even attempted.
Originally posted by VA49er:
To be honest it was just a good gameplan. We pushed it deep we used playaction and we balanced out the attack. The big difference this week to last week, and in all of our wins vs. all of our losses was that our D showed up and killed people. Our offense was not dramatically different than many other games. However when you start playing with a lead and your D let's you get a few on the board it just makes life so easy for us.

Agreed. Each QB has their own strengths and weaknesses but you highlighted the biggest reasons IMHO (after reviewing the game again). But CK does have some special qualities and you can't help but be excited about our future with him (immediate or not)!
Share 49ersWebzone