LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

What were some of the offensive difference that you saw against the Bears?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 3rd and 12 to vd twords the end of the game was simply an amazing pass. It looked like there was only 1 possible flight path for the ball and kaep hit it perfect. An amazing pass!
This is not a shot at Smith, but the biggest difference I noticed was that the qb didn't look like he was trying to play "safe enough" to keep his job. Kaep come out firing perfect throws where only the reciever could catch the pass. Example Williams down the sideline Smith would not have pushed that throw. Also the whole team come out fired up for Kaep more than I have seen them fired up for anyone in a long time.
[ Edited by 2000sooners on Nov 24, 2012 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by 2000sooners:
This is not a shot at Smith, but the biggest difference I noticed was that the qb didn't look like he was trying to play "safe enough" to keep his job. Kaep come out firing perfect throws where only the reciever could catch the pass. Example Williams down the sideline Smith would not have pushed that throw. Also the whole team come out fired up for Kaep more than I have seen them fired up for anyone in a long time.

I understand this perspective, but it seems Harbaugh is the one setting the agenda--game plan. CK had a great opportunity and really did a great job. Smith has won most of his games with Harbaugh and has done so by protecting the ball and letting the offense develop. This year the offense has begun to open up and look mature, but Smith is injured...oh well, that's life! The Arizona game was particularly telling of Smith's growth. Both seem to be very good QBs.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I understand this perspective, but it seems Harbaugh is the one setting the agenda--game plan. CK had a great opportunity and really did a great job. Smith has won most of his games with Harbaugh and has done so by protecting the ball and letting the offense develop. This year the offense has begun to open up and look mature, but Smith is injured...oh well, that's life! The Arizona game was particularly telling of Smith's growth. Both seem to be very good QBs.

Smith has been looking great this year! I was annoyed by that at the beginning because i didn't want this so called qb battle. Kaep and the team were fired up against a good Bears defense last week and look great. Who ever will win and keep winning without depending on the defense so much is who has my vote. Scratch that as long as we win i'm good!
[ Edited by 2000sooners on Nov 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM ]
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Steve young has said that if you could only see a QBs feet for a whole game you could tell if they had a good or bad game. Watch CKs feet and you can see the difference. They were exceptionally smooth in timing his throws. Most of the time he released his throw right when he hits his back foot on a drop. That is a testament to his successful pre-snap and post-snap defensive reads. When he didn't throw on his final step, he was perfect throwing on the hitch step(s) moving up in the pocket, meaning his anticipated throw wasn't there and "hitch, hitch" he is moving smoothly through his reads. There was zero happy feet or uncertainty displayed.

It was classic west coast smooth offensive execution. That is what looked different - and beautifully efficient. It is what we SF fans have been craving.

And despite my consistent support for Smith, it is just not in Smiths game. Smiths feet seem mechanical, and he rarely throw decisively when his back foot lands at the top of his drop, there is a moment of hesitation. And his movement in the pocket isn't as smooth either.

I'm surprised some looked over a post like this. I won't act like I know how a QB's feet is suppose to look like out there, but it seemed like Kaep's feet looked smooth and in rhythm. He was slowly hopping around. This is the only gif I find that shows alittle bit...but he it seems various foot work technique is used here, and they branch together well.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM ]

There is a reason that Harbaugh tailors a safe, short pass based game plan for Smith and a high octane, vertical passing game game plan for Kaep.

Cuz Smith has limitations while Kaepernick does not. Smith is a good quarterback in his own regard, but it is pretty easy to see that with experience, Colin Kaepernick will be a far better starting quarterback than Alex Smith.
I dont know what they grow up there in Northern Cali, but it sure seems to help the developement of QBs.....Kap, Rogers, Brady (all from North Cali).
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I dont know what they grow up there in Northern Cali, but it sure seems to help the developement of QBs.....Kap, Rogers, Brady (all from North Cali).

WTF do yall feed your 13 year olds down in SoCal???

Originally posted by niner4life21:

There is a reason that Harbaugh tailors a safe, short pass based game plan for Smith and a high octane, vertical passing game game plan for Kaep.

Cuz Smith has limitations while Kaepernick does not. Smith is a good quarterback in his own regard, but it is pretty easy to see that with experience, Colin Kaepernick will be a far better starting quarterback than Alex Smith.

Once again...if JH is tailoring a "safe, short pass based game plan for Smith" why is Smith one of the leaders in yards per attempt? People keep saying this because it was true in the past but it is not true this year.
Oline was great and so were the receivers

Originally posted by niner4life21:

Once again...if JH is tailoring a "safe, short pass based game plan for Smith" why is Smith one of the leaders in yards per attempt? People keep saying this because it was true in the past but it is not true this year.

Smith isn't doing bad this year, but it isn't Smith alone that gets the yards per attempt. If Kaep could play every week like he did against the Bears then the yards per attempt would really be up in the top especially if the team keeps playing the way they did with Kaep in.
Smith isn't doing bad this year, but it isn't Smith alone that gets the yards per attempt. If Kaep could play every week like he did against the Bears then the yards per attempt would really be up in the top especially if the team keeps playing the way they did with Kaep in.

No QB does it on their own. Posters have been saying for years that yardage is down because Smith throws the ball so there can't be YAC. Then this year all the yardage is because of YAC...just inconsistent. I realize that different posters make these charges but they are both unreasonable and used to bash a QB who does not deserve much criticism this year.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Steve young has said that if you could only see a QBs feet for a whole game you could tell if they had a good or bad game. Watch CKs feet and you can see the difference. They were exceptionally smooth in timing his throws. Most of the time he released his throw right when he hits his back foot on a drop. That is a testament to his successful pre-snap and post-snap defensive reads. When he didn't throw on his final step, he was perfect throwing on the hitch step(s) moving up in the pocket, meaning his anticipated throw wasn't there and "hitch, hitch" he is moving smoothly through his reads. There was zero happy feet or uncertainty displayed.

It was classic west coast smooth offensive execution. That is what looked different - and beautifully efficient. It is what we SF fans have been craving.

And despite my consistent support for Smith, it is just not in Smiths game. Smiths feet seem mechanical, and he rarely throw decisively when his back foot lands at the top of his drop, there is a moment of hesitation. And his movement in the pocket isn't as smooth either.

I'm surprised some looked over a post like this. I won't act like I know how a QB's feet is suppose to look like out there, but it seemed like Kaep's feet looked smooth and in rhythm. He was slowly hopping around. This is the only gif I find that shows alittle bit...but he it seems various foot work technique is used here, and they branch together well.

Look at that pocket! Just to mess, in my best Alex-hater voice, "But but but why isn't CK just stepping up and throwing in that ENORMOUS pocket? Instead he gets happy feet and starts rolling right, right into the LDE. Terrible mechanics and he had no reason to get happy feet.

I can not WAIT to read more hypocrisy on Monday!

That said, go Niners! Play within that game plan CK...praying it's a great one and we execute fully and get this W! It's a huge game...
Share 49ersWebzone