LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

What were some of the offensive difference that you saw against the Bears?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
No check downs lol

He should've checked down to Manningham in the redzone before he got sacked by 2 guys.

Oh, so Alex is allowed to go down and take those stupid sacks every single game, but Colin can't get away with 1? lol okay...
[ Edited by zomg_its_ryan on Nov 20, 2012 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by GoforJimmy:
I honestly thought the gameplan was very much of the same. Anything Kaep did, I've seen Alex do; throw deep (NO game, Buffalo game, etc), throw in stride (AZ game, etc); including overthrowing wide open receivers (VD on 2 passes that I can recall right off the bat). Is Kaep a little more willing to throw into triple coverage? Yes, but that's a dicey one. When you hit it, it's great. When you don't, you're a goat, and cause the team to lose due to turnovers. Alex only does that when the team is behind or when the game is on the line, and they absolutely need a score. Otherwise, he'll err on the side of caution, especially if the game is close, or if we're up.

As the team is saying, we're lucky that we have 2 QB's who can execute a gameplan. We certainly did have a few throws in the game plan that were more to Kaep's strength (the deep out down the sideline); but we didn't have the throws that were Alex's strength (seam route down the middle). The biggest difference, as one poster mentioned, was that we "Had a vertical passes element for the first time all season....6 plays of the ball traveling at least 20 yards in the air before it touches the receiver". The roll out to the left and TD throw to Crabtree was the one throw I think Alex would not make, given that in itself is a Kaep specialty. If you watch the video where Trent Baalke highlights to the media why he drafted Kaep last year (he can roll left, and throw right handed better than anyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9eOanoiVcY).

I, for one, agree with Frank Gore. If Alex had been in the game, Alex would have had a great game as well. Our game plan and scheme destroyed the Bears, so long as the QB, regardless of who it was, could execute it.

Very nice (rare) objective post today; you see the big picture IMHO.

Agreed, CK's ability to run left and throw on the move (esp. with that kind of touch) is a real weapon. It's crazy to say but it seems like the only throw he struggles with is his touch on the intermediate balls where he either zings it in there or over throws. But that's just a matter of timing and mechanics and learning his receivers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
good pass protection
cutting down penalites?
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GoforJimmy:
I honestly thought the gameplan was very much of the same. Anything Kaep did, I've seen Alex do; throw deep (NO game, Buffalo game, etc), throw in stride (AZ game, etc); including overthrowing wide open receivers (VD on 2 passes that I can recall right off the bat). Is Kaep a little more willing to throw into triple coverage? Yes, but that's a dicey one. When you hit it, it's great. When you don't, you're a goat, and cause the team to lose due to turnovers. Alex only does that when the team is behind or when the game is on the line, and they absolutely need a score. Otherwise, he'll err on the side of caution, especially if the game is close, or if we're up.

As the team is saying, we're lucky that we have 2 QB's who can execute a gameplan. We certainly did have a few throws in the game plan that were more to Kaep's strength (the deep out down the sideline); but we didn't have the throws that were Alex's strength (seam route down the middle). The biggest difference, as one poster mentioned, was that we "Had a vertical passes element for the first time all season....6 plays of the ball traveling at least 20 yards in the air before it touches the receiver". The roll out to the left and TD throw to Crabtree was the one throw I think Alex would not make, given that in itself is a Kaep specialty. If you watch the video where Trent Baalke highlights to the media why he drafted Kaep last year (he can roll left, and throw right handed better than anyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9eOanoiVcY).

I, for one, agree with Frank Gore. If Alex had been in the game, Alex would have had a great game as well. Our game plan and scheme destroyed the Bears, so long as the QB, regardless of who it was, could execute it.

Very nice (rare) objective post today; you see the big picture IMHO.

Agreed, CK's ability to run left and throw on the move (esp. with that kind of touch) is a real weapon. It's crazy to say but it seems like the only throw he struggles with is his touch on the intermediate balls where he either zings it in there or over throws. But that's just a matter of timing and mechanics and learning his receivers.

Not saying he is the next Joe... but I always remember Joe was great when he rolled out to pass.
For some reason the o line gives more time to ck7 to throw the ball. Thats what i saw in this game and last weeks game. Either way with either qb id say we are in good hands.
Originally posted by echav4949:
For some reason the o line gives more time to ck7 to throw the ball. Thats what i saw in this game and last weeks game. Either way with either qb id say we are in good hands.

I liked the way Kaep drops back.. he really gets some distance in his footwork...could be part of the reason the OL blocked well..because Kaep was in the right spot ?
the difference is colin bought time with his feet and avoided sacks by throwing it away or finding an open receiever. if it was alex he would've took the sack to avoid a turnover.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by echav4949:

I liked the way Kaep drops back.. he really gets some distance in his footwork...could be part of the reason the OL blocked well..because Kaep was in the right spot ?

Yeah i actually saw that he runs right out pretty quick. Could be. But i also noticed the pocket being held really well. Maybe optical illusion i guess. Two different styles to get the w. Thats what matters.
Dont remember any drive momentum killing penalties. Better than expected oline play in pass protection.
I am so glad that Kaep finally got to start a game and show what he can do!

I am so tired of watching A Smith take up so much clock time pecking around 10 and 12 yards at a time and taking so many sacks when he could throw it away and avoid the loss of yards plus he has no sense of urgency he acts like he has all day Kaep on the other hand acts quickly he gets the ball out fast and with a lot of velocity and it makes a huge difference and allows you to put the ball in tight placements, you watch all the great QB's they can do that A Smith does not have it, Kaep makes this offense explosive I say start him from now on and let's win a SB

Originally posted by Allx9er:
Dont remember any drive momentum killing penalties. Better than expected oline play in pass protection.

This! Those are not 'inconsequential' details. Those details win games!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I felt like he was utilizing the pocket better by stepping up into it. I feel like Alex throws from the top of the horshoe (pocket) and Kaep stepped up into it and fired. He also got the ball out in a hurry on the slant to Walker. I had to rewind the play it was so quick.
Anybody notice that there were not a lot of out routes? Kaepernick was throwing the football VERTICALLY
Biggest differences:

• Same plays called, but much better results with Kaep
  • We did add some five wide receiver sets though (awesome!!!), but the majority of the plays called were the same
  • pocket broke down, Kaep extended plays and kept his eyes down field
  • Kaep threw to WRs that didnt need to be 5 yards away from the nearest defender
  • Kaep went through his progressions and STILL hit WRs downfield rather than check down, throw it away or run for a few yards
  • Our passing game was explosive before our running game really got started
  • Our passing game dominated a great defense for the first time in years
  • Our wide receivers were given the opportunity to make plays

That is all.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Anybody notice that there were not a lot of out routes? Kaepernick was throwing the football VERTICALLY

Yeah, I noticed that too. Can't read too much into that though. It could be that Kaep isn't good with them at this point or simply the Bears defense isn't willing to let us throw that. This is one of the reason why I would like to see more of Kaep playing before wanting him to start significantly.
Share 49ersWebzone